National Forum

Sligo GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To eoinog:  "Welcome back, Datsrite. The Bunnies have done very well. 2 promotions in 2 years.. it's difficult to see anything positive from a St.Johns perspective.. You can't build your hopes on an U.13 team. Any promising player will be lured to the showgrounds, won't be allowed play Gaelic and then thrown on the scrapheap in a few years time. Unless they can make an immediate return to Div 3 and hold their own there for a year or so and move up again I'm afraid they are screwed. Any player from another county that wants to transfer to a Sligo town club won't look at them. Mary's have hoovered several good players over the years with little or no success. John's won no game in the U.19 C championship and are in the U.17 B championship so hopefully things will improve for them"
I was more referring to the fact that its a starting point for St Johns to work forward from. Yes, its difficult to pin your hopes on 12/13 year old's but there appears to be good people involved, who will nurture that talent right the way up. Clubs, whether they are town based or country based, will always lose emerging talent to Sligo Rovers, current examples -Riverstown, Ballymote, Grange, Tubbercurry, Collooney etc. The beauty of the GAA is those players are always welcome back to their local club if their dreams don't come through. I for one would never deny a youngster the opportunity to follow the soccer dream if that's what they wish to do. All clubs go through difficult times, including ourselves when we were relegated to Div3 - couple years later we are back to Div1. St Johns will rebuild but it will take work at underage. Eastern harps are a perfect example of the work going on at underage - while their senior team have been struggling of late their underage are really prospering. Great crop at U16 (huge % of Manning Cup team). Their U19A are unbeaten. At my local club, we are amalgamated at underage due to number shortages but the work is going in. All our beloved clubs will have good days and bad days, that's the GAA rollercoaster we are on and love. Rather than being negative towards St Johns, I wish them well for the future.

Bloodsub6 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 06/08/2022 13:43:59    2436426

Link

Replying To Bloodsub6:  "I was more referring to the fact that its a starting point for St Johns to work forward from. Yes, its difficult to pin your hopes on 12/13 year old's but there appears to be good people involved, who will nurture that talent right the way up. Clubs, whether they are town based or country based, will always lose emerging talent to Sligo Rovers, current examples -Riverstown, Ballymote, Grange, Tubbercurry, Collooney etc. The beauty of the GAA is those players are always welcome back to their local club if their dreams don't come through. I for one would never deny a youngster the opportunity to follow the soccer dream if that's what they wish to do. All clubs go through difficult times, including ourselves when we were relegated to Div3 - couple years later we are back to Div1. St Johns will rebuild but it will take work at underage. Eastern harps are a perfect example of the work going on at underage - while their senior team have been struggling of late their underage are really prospering. Great crop at U16 (huge % of Manning Cup team). Their U19A are unbeaten. At my local club, we are amalgamated at underage due to number shortages but the work is going in. All our beloved clubs will have good days and bad days, that's the GAA rollercoaster we are on and love. Rather than being negative towards St Johns, I wish them well for the future."
Imagine what a club bunnies would have if they all were pulling together !!!
Great win for Coolera, actually not a win at all. It was a pasting

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 1075 - 06/08/2022 18:31:57    2436468

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Imagine what a club bunnies would have if they all were pulling together !!!
Great win for Coolera, actually not a win at all. It was a pasting"
Not 100% sure what you are referring to or whether there is an angle of some sort. Every club in Ireland has their problems and there will always be disagreements. Anyway I'll comment no further. Well done to Coolera Strandhill and Eastern Harps winning their respective league finals. Coolera's win will do wonders for their confidence going into a difficult championship group. Two more league finals tomorrow which are great days for the communities concerned. Then the excitement turns to the championship for the next 2 months or so. Best of luck to all teams.

Bloodsub6 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 06/08/2022 21:40:01    2436486

Link

Who were the standout players in this weeks finals from each side. Anyone to keep an eye on??

Sligobuck21 (Sligo) - Posts: 47 - 08/08/2022 12:06:05    2436632

Link

Unfortunately was away the weekend and so couldnt get to the Div 1 or 2 final but I am told Tourlestrane were well depleted and there for the taking which Coolera duly did, good for the county to see a new winner anyway, championship going to be interesting now as that result will give a few of the chasing pack hope.

Apparently the Bunnies almost had Curry beaten and it was a great game according to the report I got. Late Curry flourish saw them do it, barely, congrats to them. Result aside it looks like being another very competitive intermediate champ with Easkey, Molaise and Bunnies surely the top 3 possibles? Am I missing anyone?

What's going on at St Johns? How a club with their population area can be gone to Div 4 is hard to believe. Div 3 was bad enough but 4 is hard to understand. Contrasting them with the aforementioned Bunninadden club and its stark. Bunninadden has a very small population, small national school, St Johns the opposite. One gone up to Div1 and one gone down to Div4. Bunninadden managing to develop players from limited resources such as Luke Marren etc and you have to say punch above their weight in terms of population. Farnans are similar to them and obviously coaching structures are strong to produce and keep players.

A weak club in Carraroe is bad for Sligo football as its a club that has given us recent (and current) county standard players in spades so hopefully they steady the ship. I think the idea some might pedal that Rovers are hurting them is just incorrect, there are young lads from all the county trying their hand with the Rovers since the FAI brought in the national leagues for the LOI clubs. Its far from just the town clubs.

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 20 - 09/08/2022 18:33:56    2436866

Link