National Forum

Longford GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The O'Byrne Cup is a perfectly fine challenge-game style competition and is important to iron out creases ahead of the League. The Leinster Championship is an irrelevance. The new manager didn't do himself any harm at all by calling a spade a spade in his recent media interview. Good not to have someone at the helm who lives in cloud cuckoo land wrt the Leinster 'competition'. More of that please.

LongfordgaaAbú (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 18/01/2022 11:52:23    2395422

Link

Replying To LongfordgaaAbú:  "The O'Byrne Cup is a perfectly fine challenge-game style competition and is important to iron out creases ahead of the League. The Leinster Championship is an irrelevance. The new manager didn't do himself any harm at all by calling a spade a spade in his recent media interview. Good not to have someone at the helm who lives in cloud cuckoo land wrt the Leinster 'competition'. More of that please."
Didn't do himself any harm? Am I missing the scarcasm?

Sure Dennis Connerton and Padraic Davis have said this previously. Everyone knows this, its hardly rocket science. If this is what we are stretching to to find praise for the new manager then God help us.

Mull93 (Longford) - Posts: 25 - 18/01/2022 21:04:31    2395512

Link

Replying To Mull93:  "Didn't do himself any harm? Am I missing the scarcasm?

Sure Dennis Connerton and Padraic Davis have said this previously. Everyone knows this, its hardly rocket science. If this is what we are stretching to to find praise for the new manager then God help us."
i think your being harsh here, it sounds like you have decided this manager is a failure already. i dont remember any of the previous managers being so strong in their dismissal of leinster in fact most previously spoke of their aim of a run in leinster. davis obviously placed some weight on it given he resigned at the final whistle of the meath game!
i agree with gaaabu, we have gotten what we need out of the o byrne cup, challenge matches nothing more nothing less, time needed in blooding some good young players. the test obviously now lies with the league

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 117 - 19/01/2022 10:58:06    2395559

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "i think your being harsh here, it sounds like you have decided this manager is a failure already. i dont remember any of the previous managers being so strong in their dismissal of leinster in fact most previously spoke of their aim of a run in leinster. davis obviously placed some weight on it given he resigned at the final whistle of the meath game!
i agree with gaaabu, we have gotten what we need out of the o byrne cup, challenge matches nothing more nothing less, time needed in blooding some good young players. the test obviously now lies with the league"
If you talked to either of them then you'd know that were their feelings. Do you seriously think that they ever put more weight on the Leinster Championship then the league? It goes without saying that we should be winning or at least be getting promotion in the League this year. For all the new players that played in the O'Byrne Cup it'll still be the players that Denis and Padraic brought through that make up the vast majority of the team in the league.

Both managers saw the opportunity to win games in championship in order to show progress and show the players and supporters that they could compete at the highest level. Under Denis we had a great win against Meath in Leinster. Under Padraic we had a draw and were unlucky not to beat Kildare in a replay. These results are obviously among other victories against teams in Leinster who are not in Div 1 or 2.

Padraic and Denis are proud Longford men and know how passionate we all are about our county. They knew, as well as every other county did for a long period of time, that we wouldn't realistically beat Dublin so winning Leinster wasn't on the agenda but why should we be afraid of Meath, Kildare or any other county in Leinster for that matter in a knock out game. Is it unrealistic to think we couldn't make a Leinster final if we were the far side of the draw as Dublin. I don't think its that far-fetched.

I can understand why someone from outside the county who wouldn't have thought too much about Longford continues to not think too much about Longford. Maybe its just a lack of experience or know how on his part but if that's as much as positive we can think out of the first 3 games then it'll be short and disappointing year.

Mull93 (Longford) - Posts: 25 - 19/01/2022 11:42:17    2395569

Link