National Forum

Upcoming Special Congress

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To wexico15:  "We're going around in circles here= I picked glaring holes in your argument.

As i said in football Cavan & Tipperary both Div 4 in 2022 are capable of competing with Galway, Roscommon, Armagh etc.

The hurling equivalent Cavan, Fermanagh, Louth are not capable of competing with Offaly, Antrim or Kerry.

Its not like for like."
No - you introduced a new argument to say "Look at the hurling championship" as an example where lower tier teams are entered back into the the main competition. 2/8 lower ranked teams are given a shot. Under proposal B this is 50/50 with 2/10 from way lower tiers. The hurling championship is tiered nicely and not a bad model of what a tiered championship would look like. It is nothing like Proposal B. Can you now see this is not a valid comparison?

Cavan and Tipp may well feel they're capable of operating at a higher level - they should really be incentivised to gain promotion from where they are right now - certainly a low ebb in terms of league form.

You believe the Provincial championships are broken beyond repair and so should be demoted in terms of importance. I do not believe this. They are certainly not without their problems but to cast them aside as a pre-season competition is a massive mistake.

brianb (Kildare) - Posts: 95 - 20/10/2021 17:17:05    2386496

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Pretty sure pre season competitions are gone, Niall Morgan mentioned in an interview a few weeks ago that there gone due to split season and teams back training later. In recent years pre seasons started before Christmas which might not be feasible if teams aren't permitted to train before December. How are leagues going to get linked to the championship with status quo, they'll remain as 2 separate entities. In 2018 and 19 championship started roughly May 10 with the final last Sunday of August. If the all ireland is moving forward a month how do expect the championship along with the tailteann cup to be ran without moving to start date to April too. Hurling championship start is been moved forward a month next year I'd be shocked if the same doesn't happen in football no matter what the structure is."
I mean this is my point the scheduling is the issue. The All Ireland can be played off in 12 weekends. If league championship can be played with 7 rounds over 9 weekends, 4 rounds of Provincials plus 4 rounds of All Ireland series can be played off in 12. May to July.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 3556 - 20/10/2021 17:25:10    2386497

Link

Replying To bennybunny:  "You might be right. In reality, no team outside of Division 1 has a hope of winning an All Ireland. Relegation would not be wise. If a team is going to compete for Sam, they will only progress in Division 1.

That is not an argument for proposal B.

The tiered structure is the way to go possibly but that has been debated to death on here...complete elimination from winning Sam (though most have zero chance) is just NOT acceptable to too many people..its fine to suggest ideas but we have to be pragmatic on what will make it to congress or not or what might pass

Proposal B , on a trial basis, now has the backing of the majority of players, central council and many county boards..yet it still might not get through.."
I don't agree that teams don't have a hope of winning from division 2. The likes of Mayo, Tyrone and Donegal can find themselves in there no bother with a couple of results go the wrong way. They'd definitely be able to turn it around in a year or get a few strokes of luck.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 3556 - 20/10/2021 17:27:28    2386499

Link