2021 Rankings So Far

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Dublin

Kerry Mayo

Tyrone Monaghan

Donegal Armagh Galway

Kildare Meath Cork Derry Roscommon Westmeath
Down Clare

Kildare have done well to get to Division 1 but they need to compete there or they go back into the pack. Armagh have consolidated their status and were pipped by a consistent Monaghan. Still can't see beyond Mayo or Kerry to anyone who would challenge the Dubs.

jonno (Kildare) - Posts: 227 - 22/07/2021 12:26:44    2362805

Link

@kiloughter you still lost said relegation play off and were beaten resoundingly by Kerry by 22 points and by 4 points at home to Dublin. Galway are consistent under achievers in football and talk of them being a top side is wide of the mark. The last championship victories of note were in 2018. The last time you beat a top 6 side was 2018 in championship football. That's living off reputation.

That's not to say they won't win this weekend and then you might have something to say yes they are worthy. But Galway like Meath, Kildare, Armagh, Cork and Roscommon are nothing more than yo yo teams who are consistent in their inconsistencies.

brian (Meath) - Posts: 1250 - 22/07/2021 12:56:05    2362825

Link

Replying To conman1282:  "
Replying To MayoDan:  "[quote=conman1282:  "[quote=supersub15:  "You are probably correct in saying "I don't know much about football" and I'm not disputing that mo cara, then how could I when all my life I have been submerged in div.4 ranked 30 ish, speaking of rankings as I have explained before, 4 posts back. I am not ranking counties, first and foremost if I was I would include all 32 counties not the top 8,9, or 10. I would also include their performances in the NFL, and indeed their overall performance throughout the year, again my placings (not rankings) are championship performance only on knock out basis game on game, if you tune in after this weeks games you will see it will be no longer 8 counties that are left in the race for Sam.

PS - The reason Kildare are over Armagh and Donegal is because Kildare is still in the championship Armagh and Donegal are not as for Tyrone I have already said 7. Tyrone. Beat a Donegal side that wasn't firing on all cylinders, missed a penalty by their talisman who was later sent off, they rallied well towards the end but their luck ran out,
As for Kildare, - 6. Kildare, beat an excellent Westmeath side that never gave up even after conceding 2 goals, 0-06 down fought back to within 0-02, possibly the 2nd or 3rd best team in leinster going into that game.
My assessment of where we are at, admit ably it may not perfect but its very reasonable.
"
based off the teams left:

1) Dublin - all this talk about decline, something tells me a hiding is coming, they're middle spine is still unbelievable
2) Kerry - awesome forward line, no doubt best in Ireland, midfield back they are improving
3) Mayo - I know its weak opposition but you have to beat the teams in front of you. serious depth and competition
4) Tyrone - Just slightly ahead of Monaghan only because of depth on the bench. Very close though easily swap
5) Monaghan - as Above
6) Kildare - Showing well upfront, have some excellent forwards
7) Galway - Good going forward, defensively just ok
8) Cork - did beat a limerick team who won well the first day so improved from last year"
I've seen a lot of people say Kerry have a better forward line than Dublin. That is not the case imo. Once Dublin get their defensive injuries cleared up, this will probably be their forward line:

Scully Kilkenny Howard
Rock Con Costello/Small

How many Kerry players would break into that team? Clifford definitely instead of Costello/Small but after that? Maybe Sean O'Shea but nobody else."]this is the rankings based off the year to date."]Even just going on this year, Clifford and Sean O'Shea are the only forwards that would make the Dublin team.

So I don't know how you can say Kerry have the best forward line.

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 232 - 22/07/2021 13:43:50    2362848

Link

Replying To MayoDan:  "
Replying To conman1282:  "[quote=MayoDan:  "[quote=conman1282:  "[quote=supersub15:  "You are probably correct in saying "I don't know much about football" and I'm not disputing that mo cara, then how could I when all my life I have been submerged in div.4 ranked 30 ish, speaking of rankings as I have explained before, 4 posts back. I am not ranking counties, first and foremost if I was I would include all 32 counties not the top 8,9, or 10. I would also include their performances in the NFL, and indeed their overall performance throughout the year, again my placings (not rankings) are championship performance only on knock out basis game on game, if you tune in after this weeks games you will see it will be no longer 8 counties that are left in the race for Sam.

PS - The reason Kildare are over Armagh and Donegal is because Kildare is still in the championship Armagh and Donegal are not as for Tyrone I have already said 7. Tyrone. Beat a Donegal side that wasn't firing on all cylinders, missed a penalty by their talisman who was later sent off, they rallied well towards the end but their luck ran out,
As for Kildare, - 6. Kildare, beat an excellent Westmeath side that never gave up even after conceding 2 goals, 0-06 down fought back to within 0-02, possibly the 2nd or 3rd best team in leinster going into that game.
My assessment of where we are at, admit ably it may not perfect but its very reasonable.
"
based off the teams left:

1) Dublin - all this talk about decline, something tells me a hiding is coming, they're middle spine is still unbelievable
2) Kerry - awesome forward line, no doubt best in Ireland, midfield back they are improving
3) Mayo - I know its weak opposition but you have to beat the teams in front of you. serious depth and competition
4) Tyrone - Just slightly ahead of Monaghan only because of depth on the bench. Very close though easily swap
5) Monaghan - as Above
6) Kildare - Showing well upfront, have some excellent forwards
7) Galway - Good going forward, defensively just ok
8) Cork - did beat a limerick team who won well the first day so improved from last year"
I've seen a lot of people say Kerry have a better forward line than Dublin. That is not the case imo. Once Dublin get their defensive injuries cleared up, this will probably be their forward line:

Scully Kilkenny Howard
Rock Con Costello/Small

How many Kerry players would break into that team? Clifford definitely instead of Costello/Small but after that? Maybe Sean O'Shea but nobody else."]this is the rankings based off the year to date."]Even just going on this year, Clifford and Sean O'Shea are the only forwards that would make the Dublin team.

So I don't know how you can say Kerry have the best forward line."]its just my opinion Dan, I dont think Dublins forwards are firing on all cylinders YET, Kerrys forwards have scored more and in my opinion are more dangerous up to this point... Note I still put Dublin on top as their central spine is still by far the best in the country..

conman1282 (Tyrone) - Posts: 52 - 22/07/2021 15:09:38    2362880

Link

Replying To brian:  "@kiloughter you still lost said relegation play off and were beaten resoundingly by Kerry by 22 points and by 4 points at home to Dublin. Galway are consistent under achievers in football and talk of them being a top side is wide of the mark. The last championship victories of note were in 2018. The last time you beat a top 6 side was 2018 in championship football. That's living off reputation.

That's not to say they won't win this weekend and then you might have something to say yes they are worthy. But Galway like Meath, Kildare, Armagh, Cork and Roscommon are nothing more than yo yo teams who are consistent in their inconsistencies."
In fairness not sure who is saying we are a top side but have not being as yoyo as some of the other teams you mentioned in terms of between the divisions and have been Div1 for a few years until now. Depends on what one expects from various counties as i suspect we get a lot of heat as people outside of Galway expect more from us. Maybe it is because we have had more underage success relatively speaking than your list although underage success is no real indicator.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1772 - 22/07/2021 15:28:49    2362890

Link