National Forum

Future Of Leinster Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KillingFields:  "What blog are you on about? Was it the website or just something in the forum as theyre not blogs...

Splitting Dublin shouldnt happen but if it was the only split that should ever happen is north/south based on the liffey.
Beyond admin of fees and few other admin areas most people dont really care/notice what local government area they are in. There would be no drive to support these areas etc which is huge part of the GAA."
A comment was brought up on a previous Hogan Stand forum topic that DLRD had 2 clubs and it was answered with posters who knew the area that they had far more (I don't really want to spend time reading over old comments on old topics to find this).
If the GAA go with splitting Dublin into north and south before any kind of identity is built up they will end up splitting again. When the GAA was formed Co. Dublin represented about 8% of the national population. Now, due to population growth the traditional Co. Dublin area represents about 20% of the national population.
Also in last 15 years the popularity of the GAA has hugely increased.
Ideally it would be nice not to split Dublin but it will be hard to ignore these statistics for much longer if Dublin continue to completely dominate.
I don't know all these areas very well but having lived in north co. Dublin and the city centre for a few years there is a very different feeling from north co. Dublin (Fingal) to Dun Laoghaire to the city centre. Give it a bit of time and an identity would build up for these teams. I have seen club mergers where people are well into supporting them. I have read that 3 of the main teams in Tralee came from one original club (Tralee Mitchels) which the Kerry co. board ordered to split. Each of these clubs developed their own identity.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 774 - 28/11/2020 21:05:55    2316308

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "A comment was brought up on a previous Hogan Stand forum topic that DLRD had 2 clubs and it was answered with posters who knew the area that they had far more (I don't really want to spend time reading over old comments on old topics to find this).
If the GAA go with splitting Dublin into north and south before any kind of identity is built up they will end up splitting again. When the GAA was formed Co. Dublin represented about 8% of the national population. Now, due to population growth the traditional Co. Dublin area represents about 20% of the national population.
Also in last 15 years the popularity of the GAA has hugely increased.
Ideally it would be nice not to split Dublin but it will be hard to ignore these statistics for much longer if Dublin continue to completely dominate.
I don't know all these areas very well but having lived in north co. Dublin and the city centre for a few years there is a very different feeling from north co. Dublin (Fingal) to Dun Laoghaire to the city centre. Give it a bit of time and an identity would build up for these teams. I have seen club mergers where people are well into supporting them. I have read that 3 of the main teams in Tralee came from one original club (Tralee Mitchels) which the Kerry co. board ordered to split. Each of these clubs developed their own identity."
An identity wouldn't build up and anyone who has lived in south Dublin will tell you that there is no more of a difference than between Ballyboden and Tallaght.

Rolo2010 (Donegal) - Posts: 204 - 28/11/2020 23:17:57    2316344

Link