National Forum

The Corona Virus And Possible Effects To GAA Matches

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To football first:  "Tighter borders are not really an option, and would be impossible to monitor. An all-Island approach would be a much more logical approach, however unpalatable to some political views. But it was implemented successfully for the "foot and mouth" crisis..."
I agree All Island would be the easiest and most logical so good luck getting Politicians onboard with it. lol.

Trump2020 (Galway) - Posts: 994 - 28/09/2020 12:07:12    2294484

Link

It's a bit of a mess up here alright. We probably had more visitors to the county in 2020 than ever before and we also have the very busy cross border travel on a daily basis to contend with. It wouldn't be a popular decision at all but maybe we need a return to the 5km restrictions for a few weeks and get the Guards back doing checkpoints at the main border crossings. I can't see any other way around it to be honest.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6943 - 28/09/2020 12:38:42    2294495

Link

Replying To Trump2020:  "Then why was the Border brought up? I'm just asking questions. I lived by the Galway-Clare border and I guess if there was an issue there the Authorities might have to do something like shutting down the roads. That Galway to Ennis to Limerick road would be a nightmare. I hope it never comes to that."
Putting up a tight border between Galway and Clare would indeed be a problem similar to a tight border between Donegal and Tyrone.It is a tricky problem when you have not got the one government . If you had you could treat the counties of Donegal ,Tyrone and Derry where the rates are as a region and have restrictions around that similar to Kildare Laois and Offaly.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 651 - 28/09/2020 12:45:10    2294500

Link

Replying To Trump2020:  "What's the cause? No masks? Would you recommend a tighter border?"
I feel one of the major causes is that the northwest did not get many cases in the first wave and people got complacent. Donegal had zero cases for over 20 days during the summer. Another major problem is different restrictions on both sides of the border. For example, pubs are closed in Donegal now but you can skip across to Derry and Strabane where the pubs are opened. This is confusing people for sure.

A tighter border between north and south will not achieve much in my opinion. Cases are very high in Donegal, Derry and Tyrone so you would need to have no movement in and out of the entire region. We all know that won't happen because of politics.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1675 - 29/09/2020 09:51:31    2294687

Link