Wins for Cavan, Cork and Meath as O'Donnell denies Orchard men late on

February 25, 2024

Donegal's Mark Curran and Ciarán Thompson tackle Joe McElroy of Armagh ©INPHO/Leah Scholes

Meath handed neighbours Kildare a fourth consecutive loss in Division 2 of the Allianz Football League this afternoon and kept themselves in with an outside chance of promotion in the process.

It finished 0-12 to 0-9 at Pairc Tailteann, where the home side hit four unaswered points in the closing stages to ensure their second victory of the campaign.

Colm O’Rourke’s charges had led by the minimum at the break and stretched it to two before Kildare hit back with points from Alex Beirne, Niall Kelly and Eoin Doyle to storm in front for the first time.

Cathal Hickey levelled it for the Royals with six minutes to go and, from there, Ruairi Kinsella, Matthew Costello (free) and Aaron Lynch would seal the home side’s win.

In Ardee, Cavan came through a battle against Louth to claim their third away win in the competition (2-13 to 3-9).

The visitors had netted an early goal through Gerry Smith but it was majors from Sam Mulroy (penalty) and Ryan Burns that sent Ger Brennan’s men towards a 2-3 to 1-5 half-time lead.

Cavan made the perfect restart with a James Smith goal and looked to be on their way until Mulroy’s second green flag and the points of Tommy Durnin, Ciaran Keenan and Mulroy put the heat on late but, in the end, it left the Wee County one short.

Meanwhile, Cork recorded their first win of the campaign by the narrowest of margins against Fermanagh in Ederney where it finished 1-14 to 0-16.

Having trailed by two at the break, the Rebels looked to be on their way towards a fourth consecutive defeat until Maurice Shanley grabbed a goal for them deep in injury-time which could well prove vital in their bid for safety in the division.

Armagh were also denied late on as Shane O’Donnell’s point snatched a 0-12 to 1-9 draw for Donegal in the top of the table clash at the Box-It Athletic Grounds.

Kieran McGeeney’s men had been trailing 0-3 to 0-2 when Andrew Murnin netted their goal on 18 minutes and it saw them edging a one-point lead when the sides went in.

The in-form Oisin Gallen would help Donegal surge ahead in the second-half but they fell behind late on after points from Rory Grugan, Murnin and Rian O’Neill flew over their crossbar and it took late heroics from O’Donnell to earn them a share of the points.

Most Read Stories