SFC Group C: 'Gaels stave off Skryne rally

August 02, 2020

Simonstown's Andrew Kearney with Eoghan Greene (Skryne) during the opening round of the Meath SFC at Pairc Tailteann

Simonstown put enough in the bank in the first-half to resist a strong Skryne rally in this SFC round one fixture at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

Simonstown......... 1-14
Skryne .................0-11

Mark Gardiner's 54th minute goal was the crucial score was was achieved with considerable assistance from Shane O''Rourke's fetch and Padraig McKeever's lay-off. 

That left it 1-12 to 0-10. Though Darragh Campion replied for Skryne, Des Lane's men copperfastened the spoils with a brace of Padraig McKeever points from play.

McKeever finished with eight points (five frees). Skryne were left to rue a number of wides and misplaced scoring attempts. 

O'Rourke posted one of the scores of the game, a pointed sideline into the town end, for the final score of the opening half to leave his side 0-10 to 0-2 ahead at the break. 
He came close to goaling earlier in the half but was narrowly wide.  

However, it was some fine fetches when his side were under pressure in the latter stages that contributed significantly to the outcome, one of them leading to the aforementioned goal. 

Playing into the town end in the first-half with the advantage of a slight breeze Simonstown made the early running posting five points in the opening 14 minutes. 

Three Padraig McKeever efforts from frees were augmented by a brace of Andrew Kearney scores from play. His second, an excellent score, made it 0-5 to 0-0 in the 14th minute.

A Niall Finnerty free opened the scoring for Skryne moments later. On the resumption following the water break, Simonstown motored on with Brian Conlon directing matters from the back. His forward surge led to Brian McGrath pointing to leave it 0-7 to 0-1 with a third of the hour gone. 

A Harry Rooney effort from about 35-metres doubled Skryne's tally with 26 minutes on the stadium clock. 

Either side of that score, Simonstown had two players sinbinned. Andrew Kearney was first to go immediately after landing his third point from play. The latter was an outstanding score.

Then with the interval imminent, Mark Gardiner, picked up a black card leaving Simonstown set to resume with a 0-10 to 0-2 lead and 13 men. By the 40th minute the 'Gaels were back to their full compliment on the pitch. 

Skryne, clad in white, took the game to the 'Gaels from the resumption and but inaccuracy meant they were 0-6 to 0-12 off the north Navan men by the three-quarter stage. 

With Darragh Campion leading the scoring charge Skyrne trimmed the deficit to a goal, 0-12 to 0-9, by the 50th minute when Mark Battersby landed a forward mark.

Full-back Ciaran Lenehan pushed forward and got a point leave just two in it with 54 minutes gone. 

Then came the goal with Shane O'Rourke and Joe Lyons assisting to settle matters. With time almost up Skryne lost captain Harry Rooney on his second yellow card.

Simonstown - Robbie Burlingham; Michael Gavin, Stephen Moran, Josh Carolan; Brian McGrath (0-1), Brian Conlon, Mark Gardner (1-0); Sean Tobin (0-1 f), Rory O'Connor; Ben Hoey, Padraig McKeever (0-8, 5fs), Nicky O'Brien; Shane Barry, Shane O'Rourke (0-1 sideline), Andrew Kearney (0-3). Subs - Rory Connor for O'Brien (43), Joe Lyons for O'Connor (52), James Heaney for Hoey (57). 

Skryne - Ian Gillette; Robbie Clarke, Ciaran Lenehan (0-1), Niall Lenehan; Andrew Moore, Eoghan Greene, Stephen O'Brian; Harry Rooney (C) (0-1), Tommy Carpenter, Shane Smyth, Darragh Campion (0-4, 2 45s), Paddy Carpenter; Niall Finnerty (0-1 f), Mark Battersby (0-3, 2fs, one forward mark), Padraig Finnerty. Subs - Eoin Smyth for P Carpenter (ht), Conor O'Brien for P Finnerty (ht), Bryan Davis (0-1) for T Carpenter (35), Ian Davis for Smyth (49)

Referee - Andrew Smith (Dunshaughlin)

Round 2 - Simonstown v Nobber, Fri Aug 14, 7.30, Castletown.
Ratoath v Skryne, Sun Aug 16, 2.0, Dunshaughlin. 

Most Read Stories