Wicklow Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

the manager of wicklow has said for wicklow supporters to come out in force for match against antrim to make it a full house give this team the support they deserve in this leaque. The support i think makes a big difference the team knows they have good following behind them . wicklow in my view have a great change at promotion up wicklow .

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 162 - 02/03/2020 15:19:50    2271693

Link

As usual Division 4 is proving to be as predictable as a childs behind.

Regarding support, I recall Antrim coming down to play us in Division 3 and there was about 30 people at the game. 5 of them had travelled from Ballymurphy.

If we are to be promoted (please god we are) it will be with a weaker team than the last time we reached Division 3. Which was an awful campaign following the previous great year, Harry Murphy was at the helm at the time. Attendances were absymal and we regressed hugely over the years since that relegation.

I hope to god the next time we go up (sooner rather than later) we can consolidate and build on it. Points made about Carlow are very well made, promotion is great but the effect of a poor campaign in Division 3 cannot be understated.

JohnnyBlaze (Wicklow) - Posts: 36 - 02/03/2020 22:55:48    2271816

Link

In relation to supporters not turning out, I would like to make a couple of points. Firstly, the weather at this time of the year doesn't make for attractive fare on the field as the ground is heavy; worse for hurling than football. Plus it is not attractive for attending matches in such conditions. Also, I think the county board should move the games around the county. Kerry and Donegal, both counties like Wicklow geographically move the league games to different parts of the county and play some of the league games under light. I think this same strategy should be tried in wicklow and I believe more people would attend. Sunday afternoon in aughrim does suit everyone especially if you have to travel a long distance. Finally, I think there is a certain degree of apathy towards the intercounty scene in the gaa generally. Move towards elitism, corporate interest ahead of grassroots, detachment by croke park towards player welfare, most people have more of an attachment to the club scene now and can live without inter county games.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1092 - 08/03/2020 10:48:46    2272772

Link

Will Wicklows game against Antrim be postponed now due to a St Galls member contracting Caronavirus?

Also wishing Don Jackman a speedy recovery.

minor93 (Wicklow) - Posts: 52 - 09/03/2020 18:45:24    2273117

Link

Best wishes to Don Jackman....a great servant to club and county over the years

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 10/03/2020 20:07:47    2273295

Link

Good luck to the team and management on Sunday for our most important game in recent years. The team will have to put in a solid performance over the whole game for the full70-75minutes to overcome Antrim a team we always find difficult to beat. Hopefully the home support and home venue will give us that bit extra to get us over the line. It will be vital that the forwards make it really difficult for the Antrim backs to clear their lines and that at least one of our midfielders stay more defensive when his partner goes forward . I feel that our full back needs to remain in position to protect the middle and not allow open space in front of our goalkeeper. I urge every supporter to get our and roar on the team .

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 10/03/2020 20:29:07    2273299

Link