Wicklow Forum

Under 20

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To heavyheart19:  "Freethinker, as always I agree totally with your sentiments. This individual is in his role for nigh on 3 decades and what progress has been made? I know of no other organisation where such poor performance would be tolerated. How dare anybody question him?"
I asked this exact question when micko was around; not today or yesterday, how can a person who is head of a setup that produces such awful results for so long be allowed to remain in place? I have nothing against the individual, admire him as a player but it defies logic that this wasn't questioned and something done about it a long time ago.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1092 - 06/01/2020 20:17:06    2257847

Link

What are the permutations for the county u20s on Sat. If they win is there a final or a playoff to get into a final.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 110 - 12/01/2020 21:54:50    2259246

Link

Replying To 61123:  "What are the permutations for the county u20s on Sat. If they win is there a final or a playoff to get into a final."
I'm still no wiser regards a playoff or final or whatever but there was definitely pep in the steps of Wicklow supporters coming out of Aughrim this afternoon. What a display. Keep up the good work Kevin, Paddy (Dalton). and selectors. While one swallow never made a summer, what we are seeing now are certainly much more than just green shoots. Maybe I just might see a little success before I get called to account after all.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 223 - 18/01/2020 17:28:21    2260622

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I'm still no wiser regards a playoff or final or whatever but there was definitely pep in the steps of Wicklow supporters coming out of Aughrim this afternoon. What a display. Keep up the good work Kevin, Paddy (Dalton). and selectors. While one swallow never made a summer, what we are seeing now are certainly much more than just green shoots. Maybe I just might see a little success before I get called to account after all."
I think what people are seeing is some joined up thinking as opposed to make it up as you go along. I think getting kevin o'brien involved at under age should have been done long ago for his skill and enthusiasm plus his stature as the only all star from the county but it is welcome, better late than never. This to me was a no brainer. Also getting players who played during the micko era, namely, paddy dalton and tony hannon is a step in the right direction on a number of levels. It is going to take a while to make a real breakthrough but when people and players see progress they are more likely to come on board; that is how you build momentum. We have always produced quality players, we just never gave them the right platform to succeed. Let it continue and see where it takes us.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1092 - 18/01/2020 19:16:02    2260646

Link

Well done to the team today.. They battled on from beginning to end even when it appeared that Clare were about to stamp their authority on the game. This never say die attitude carried them to victoty in the end. Still very disappointing to see 5 of our stronger players not available. Getting promotion in the league is everyones desire but robbing the under 20 panel and throwing in five 19year olds at senior level who are very talented players but physically still developing is one sure way of cutting a players career short. It is a great honour to play at senior level but people must remember that these young men are now entering a far different arena on a purely physical and cynical level. Even the very young talented Kerry forwards found that out last season. I just hope that they will not be injured physically or soured by their senior experiences. I would prefer to see them develop at their own level first as they have many years of football left if they are allowed to develop properly. Again it is only my view but why not try to win as much as possible at underage to bond with their own age group and gain a winning mentality instead of trying a quick fix as we so often try to do in Wicklow.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 18/01/2020 19:53:25    2260656

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Well done to the team today.. They battled on from beginning to end even when it appeared that Clare were about to stamp their authority on the game. This never say die attitude carried them to victoty in the end. Still very disappointing to see 5 of our stronger players not available. Getting promotion in the league is everyones desire but robbing the under 20 panel and throwing in five 19year olds at senior level who are very talented players but physically still developing is one sure way of cutting a players career short. It is a great honour to play at senior level but people must remember that these young men are now entering a far different arena on a purely physical and cynical level. Even the very young talented Kerry forwards found that out last season. I just hope that they will not be injured physically or soured by their senior experiences. I would prefer to see them develop at their own level first as they have many years of football left if they are allowed to develop properly. Again it is only my view but why not try to win as much as possible at underage to bond with their own age group and gain a winning mentality instead of trying a quick fix as we so often try to do in Wicklow."
1st bit of sense I heave read on red on here in a long time.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 18/01/2020 21:26:53    2260668

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Well done to the team today.. They battled on from beginning to end even when it appeared that Clare were about to stamp their authority on the game. This never say die attitude carried them to victoty in the end. Still very disappointing to see 5 of our stronger players not available. Getting promotion in the league is everyones desire but robbing the under 20 panel and throwing in five 19year olds at senior level who are very talented players but physically still developing is one sure way of cutting a players career short. It is a great honour to play at senior level but people must remember that these young men are now entering a far different arena on a purely physical and cynical level. Even the very young talented Kerry forwards found that out last season. I just hope that they will not be injured physically or soured by their senior experiences. I would prefer to see them develop at their own level first as they have many years of football left if they are allowed to develop properly. Again it is only my view but why not try to win as much as possible at underage to bond with their own age group and gain a winning mentality instead of trying a quick fix as we so often try to do in Wicklow."
There is a lot of merit in what you say. Personally I would prefer to see underage players remaining at under 20 until such time as they can't play at that level anymore; reason being they should be given time to develop. Time will tell if the way they are being managed currently is the correct way or not. I can't help but think that winning at senior intercounty level is blinkering every country's thinking as this isn't just an issue in wicklow.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1092 - 18/01/2020 21:30:48    2260670

Link

Best of luck to our u20 team on Saturday. The current panel of players are well capable of getting a win and good luck to kevin and team.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 110 - 07/02/2020 07:20:05    2265849

Link

Best of luck to the under 20 team and management tomorrow.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1092 - 07/02/2020 13:59:47    2265943

Link

Team picked and the lads that Burke had playing senior are left off including darcy. Wont be surprised if he starts but just by leaving him off of team picked it shows Kevin is not happy about this mess. To bet dublin preparations have to be spot on and ours has not been. And for what? so Burke can get one win again Waterford in the league.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 07/02/2020 17:52:53    2266000

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Team picked and the lads that Burke had playing senior are left off including darcy. Wont be surprised if he starts but just by leaving him off of team picked it shows Kevin is not happy about this mess. To bet dublin preparations have to be spot on and ours has not been. And for what? so Burke can get one win again Waterford in the league."
PM don't be silly. All the members of the senior panel will start. K.O'B is not stupid. He has calculated everything and weighed everything up and no matter the result tomorrow he wins. If we lose a close game it will be the senior manger to blame and if we win O'Brien further strengthens his case to be the next senior manager.
By not naming these players in the starting team he is sending a message to them and to Burke that they could have been done without. Masterstroke.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 07/02/2020 21:56:50    2266037

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "PM don't be silly. All the members of the senior panel will start. K.O'B is not stupid. He has calculated everything and weighed everything up and no matter the result tomorrow he wins. If we lose a close game it will be the senior manger to blame and if we win O'Brien further strengthens his case to be the next senior manager.
By not naming these players in the starting team he is sending a message to them and to Burke that they could have been done without. Masterstroke."
You telling me not to be silly and then you go and make the same point I'm making about sending a message and I said darcy will start. Lose tomorrow and big pressure on Burke to show hes capable of making some thing of the senior team he put together. .

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 07/02/2020 23:12:04    2266049

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "You telling me not to be silly and then you go and make the same point I'm making about sending a message and I said darcy will start. Lose tomorrow and big pressure on Burke to show hes capable of making some thing of the senior team he put together. ."
Well that didn't work. So far off the level Dublin are at its worrying. Poor day all round. Weather crap, crowd poor and quiet, players looked off the pace and unsure of tactics. Might just hold my praise of manager for now.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 08/02/2020 19:18:25    2266144

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "Well that didn't work. So far off the level Dublin are at its worrying. Poor day all round. Weather crap, crowd poor and quiet, players looked off the pace and unsure of tactics. Might just hold my praise of manager for now."
My thoughts exactly. Dublin much better. Mind you our shooting particularly in the first half hardly helped our cause. Dublin seemed to be maybe closer all round to 20 ?? We rarely won a breaking ball. Dublin had the luxury of being able to recover the ball if they lost control, which didn't happen to often in fairness. Is it a sin to say Dubs looked fitter ?? I suppose you could say it showed how far off the pace we are. But, having said that, - no, there is no more to be said.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 223 - 08/02/2020 20:14:59    2266162

Link

I said before to play the dubs and have any chance the preparation has to be all spot on. Ours wasnt and we say the result today. No fault of players or management but at the nd of the day it comes down to co board not making clear what theyre priority was for this year. Kevin was give the job to late as well.

Shocking poor crowd there today. Even the dubs didnt travel. Think back last 2 years the crowds ar minor matches was much bigger.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 08/02/2020 21:10:15    2266194

Link

I don't blame management or players. They are a young u20 side. Give them time. Kevin was appointed late in the day and the senior v u20 debate must be sorted.
On the day we were beaten by a better team

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 258 - 09/02/2020 13:09:15    2266319

Link