Westmeath Forum

Tommy Carr U21 Manager - Disquiet?

(Oldest Posts First)

Who are the mysterious people that have this disquiet? It seems to make sense that Carr moves onto the U21s from the minors. Surely he can provide Cribbin with a good insight into the overall player pool as well.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 20/11/2014 13:53:54    1673662

Link

Who are the mysterious people that have this disquiet? It seems to make sense that Carr moves onto the U21s from the minors. Surely he can provide Cribbin with a good insight into the overall player pool as well.

It might seem to make sense but I don't think T Carr had enough sucess at minor in the two years to get u -21 job. Would like to see one of the four J Cooney, P Leavy, J Keane or M, flanagan there and perhaps as selector as well and if good enough take senior in a 3/4 years

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 20/11/2014 15:47:51    1673720

Link

Yea Leahy or Cooney were obvious choices for this as far as i was concerned too but hey we are not the ones in power

Paulknows (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 20/11/2014 16:02:57    1673730

Link

Great question Who Are The Peope Wit Disquite over Tom Carr's appiontment?
Mad Ball do you know Tom Carr reached a Leinster Final 2 year ago in his second year as Minor Mager. Before Tom Carr's appointment as Westmeath minor manager Westmeath had won for 8 concetuive years either the Fr Manning Cup or the Gerry Reilly Memorial Tournament but despite this success at U16 WESTMEATH HAD NOT WON A LEINSTER MINOR CHAMPIONSHIP 1ST ROUND during that 8 year period Luckly someone had the foresight to bring about some change. I was at the Minor match v Offally in Tullamore last year and yes it was a dismal performance but the core of that Offally team had beaten Westmeath in the in the Fr Manning cup final in a replay a game again which attended Westmeath were well beaten in that replay and it we Offally's first time to ever win the Fr manning Cup.
I dont'n know Tommy Carr whatsoever but his style of management seems to be very disiplened ( Remember his stint at Roscommon and Cavan where he got rid of high profile players who were not prepared to tow the line) It seems Tommy has ruffled a lot of feathers over the last 3 yers in Minor by not including some of our so called star minors who were "not prepared to tow the line.

goingtoburstya (Westmeath) - Posts: 37 - 20/11/2014 20:17:45    1673841

Link

yes he did get us to one minor in lenister by beating wexfor wicklow and then meath and beaten by kildare in final
I agree and I dont'n know Tommy Carr whatsoever and yes his style of management seems to be very disciplined.yes i remember his stint at Roscommon and Cavan,
and dublin and tyrrellspass and shandonagh.

I don't remember any major improvements in any of these five teams. I don't know what happen that it was basically a second /third choice team that played in championship in 2013. I not saying their is not need for discipline but wh has not a county with the luxury of playing and wining big matches with there sec/third team we do need our best players and some players need their feather ruffled. some manager are able to bring these with them some are not. hopefully t Cribbens can

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 21/11/2014 11:49:06    1673923

Link

so the clubs have kicked tommy carr out . they werent as quick to voice their opinion on the non appointment of jack cooney
i can only wish tom cribben luck because the snipers are in the long grass already

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1151 - 26/11/2014 09:09:10    1674947

Link

something very fishy about all this. It feels like the whole story isn't been told.

winnerofsam (USA) - Posts: 40 - 26/11/2014 10:43:48    1674961

Link

Mick, i hear ya. Convention on this weekend and its a shame that the guys at the top table dont get what they deserve. They may take a little flack from some delegates but there wont be any changes despite the circus that the County Board has become.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 26/11/2014 12:08:51    1674980

Link

meridian i am annoyed at how things are going . tommy carr has been living in mullingar a good while and his children are
involvevd in loads of sports . he did not put his name forward for any position , but offered to help tom cribben until february .
can anyone tell me what is wrong with people in our county or what do we want

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1151 - 26/11/2014 15:34:36    1675038

Link

well, when a delegate asks are the backroom team in place and gets a no from the top table and then another asks 'Will Cribbin will be the U21 boss'? and they get a yes from the top table, there is naturally going to be confusion over the issue!

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1634 - 26/11/2014 16:54:22    1675055

Link

The reason there was so much disquiet was because the county board said to save money they were looking for one man to do the 2 jobs. Then all of a sudden Carr was announced as U21 boss. I can see why the clubs were annoyed because it really has turned into "make it up as we go along" from WH county board. As for Cribben while not the man I would have liked to have got the job, he has it now and best of luct to him this coming season. Good also to see Natchie take up a selector role with U21s

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 26/11/2014 21:29:43    1675106

Link

Not a positive start I am hearing for the u21's. The training regime has been quite basic. There is also disquiet about the player selection with last years players not having to do trials (aka already on the panel) along with confusion of putting backs into forward positions and vice versa (lack of player knowledge). This could be down to the confusion on who is/ was the manager and that whole transition, however, it does not hold well for u21 performance this year......concerning!

Rossieruan (Westmeath) - Posts: 73 - 18/12/2014 17:14:43    1679352

Link

Did Cavan play Westmeath recently in a Senior Challenge? - few said Westhmeath won well on the Cavan page but seems more of an untrue story

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1827 - 21/12/2014 13:41:59    1679672

Link

As predicted, every other county U21 panel has been training away since November but the county chairman insists Westmeath won't be starting till the new year.
two months behind already. Mayo 3-7 Westmeath 0-5

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 03/01/2015 16:05:38    1680265

Link

The Westmeath forum has gone very quietly. It's not Cribbins fault he was also given the u21 job along with the seniors. We all know that there should have been a separate manager for the U21's and it was agreed this would happen in 2015; but it didn't happen for whatever reason in the end. I made the game today against Mayo. Completely outplayed in the first half. There was a big improvement in the second half with the subs who were introduced. It will take a while for Cribbin to get to know the players and I feel there is plenty of decent footballers available once he gets to work with them more. Hopefully a good crowd turns out for the seniors first competitive game of the year against Meath tomorrow and they get off to a good start.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 896 - 03/01/2015 21:52:17    1680321

Link