Westmeath Forum

Everyone turn out to support Raharney on Sunday

(Oldest Posts First)

Raharney have a real opportunity of creating history on Sunday and becoming the first hurling team from Westmeath to reach the Leinster club senior hurling final. A massively talented and committed group of players will take to the field under the excellent tutelage of their coach John Greville. The team will not fear Kilcormac in anyway shape or form and previous pedigree in the competition will almost certainly instill belief in the group as many were on the team and squad which defeated Coolderry in 2010 and were narrowly defeated by one puck of a ball by Oulart the Ballagh in the semi. The a fore mentioned Coolderry went on to win the all Ireland the following year. Home advantage can be of massive significance to Raharney and support from all GAA folk in the county could be the tipping point to send Raharney to the final and provide Westmeath hurling with massive national media attention and the platform it requires to develop further. So everyone get to Cusack park and not alone support Raharney but support Westmeath hurling.

lordthehiball (Westmeath) - Posts: 69 - 13/11/2014 13:24:15    1671962

Link

Yes Support is key here, I wish them all the best and will be in there supporting them, Also just to add it would be great for the county to get behind as many teams in this leinster club championship. I see moate have a win already and are in a semi and same for garrycastle, Also St.Bridgets are in the semi final after two wins, Its great to see clubs make an effort in the leinster and represent the county with pride!

babs117 (Westmeath) - Posts: 3 - 13/11/2014 13:47:31    1671973

Link

Good luck to raharney on sunday. Would be very positive for westmeath hurling if they won. I will be there.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 13/11/2014 16:49:08    1672060

Link

Good luck to Raharney. More should be done to get local support out for clubs games - a few mobile billboards or something advertising the game

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1640 - 15/11/2014 09:42:54    1672428

Link

Would ye stop coddin yourselves lads - how many Raharney people do ya know that would shout for your club-a half dozen or so?

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 375 - 16/11/2014 13:38:10    1672588

Link

I for one know many Raharney people who would shout for The Westmeath champions whoever they were.
Good effort today almost made final ref gave two very dubious frees which decided it.
But if Raharney had taken their goal chances it wouldn't have mattered

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 684 - 16/11/2014 18:49:59    1672648

Link

stonemad - that is why Westmeath GAA is where it is, spite for the neighbour. Whereas in other counties everyone gets behind the club champions.

fair play to Raharney, they matched KK for 55 minutes and could have won if they took the chances they had. I thought the subs added nothing when they came on.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1640 - 17/11/2014 16:27:43    1672892

Link

I agree other counties are much more united. at the end of the day they were representing westmeath. i think we have near the worst support in the county. although i thought the support for raharney was fantastic yesterday to match kilcormacs which kind of proves stonemadbeany point untrue. the neutrals really got behind raharney

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 208 - 17/11/2014 16:49:47    1672903

Link

Down the years in the leinster club if a Westmeath Club ever played an Offaly one youd say the Offaly one would win hands down. Nine times out of ten that would be the case. That whole mindset has changed now any Game now between an Offaly clubside and a Westmeath one will be 50-50. This is due to the case of Westmeath club hurling standards rising and vice versa for Offaly. Clonkill, Raharney and Castletown Geoghegan would easily hold their own in the offaly senior championship. Its just getting over the final hurdle is the problem hopefully this will be rectified in the following years. Clonkill were in the same postion against Tullamore in 2009 in the semi incase people forgot and hit the woodwork twice, I think tullamore won by a point in the end. I really think one day with a bit of luck a Westmeath Club will get to the final of the leinster it has to happen. Are Raharney Westmeaths most successful club in Leinster now, was that their fourth Leinter Semi can anyone tell me. Ithink they got to a semi in 94 versus Birr , one in 08 I think versus ballyhale, and 2010 against oulart.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 428 - 17/11/2014 19:47:31    1672934

Link

The two best opportunities were in 2009 & 2014. Both quarter finals and semi finals were played in Cusack Park & both Clonkill & Raharney slipped up on both occasions in games they should have won. People are talking about a Westmeath hurling club making the breakthrough but the chances of getting a home draw & avoiding Kilkenny & Dublin clubs doesn't happen too often, when the chance comes it has to be taken. I'm afraid it the same old story as Johnny Greville said - moral victories! I don't think you could call Raharney Westmeaths most successful club in Leinster just by reaching a few Leinster semi finals, Clonkill have two Leinster titles to their name - 2007 Leinster Intermediate Championship & 2014 Leinster League. It would be nice to see the breakthrough happen soon but chances like 2009 & 2014 don't come around too often.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 165 - 18/11/2014 09:41:34    1672965

Link

I was taken up wrong lads, I was in the park on Sunday hoping Raharney would win for the good of Westmeath GAA-and I hope Garrycastle, Moate and Brigids go well in Leinster too.I suppose my point is would Clonkill (and I'm not from Clonkill) have the same support from the neutrals-for the good of Westmeath hurling.We all know that certain clubs hate each other and I couldn't see Clonkill get the support from the county.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 375 - 18/11/2014 19:38:10    1673158

Link

preddan, winning leinster league titles when many clubs don't have their county players and the Westmeath club involved had all theirs, is not the same as winning senior games in Leinster.
And winning an Intermediate AI title was a great achievement at the time.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1640 - 18/11/2014 20:35:19    1673174

Link