Westmeath Forum

Senior Champ'ship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Apologies to all Killucan fans out there!!! With the exception of the Garrycastle game (quarter-final), Killucan had a fantastic year.

Registered (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 28/10/2014 15:58:39    1667807

Link

Is the demise of Athlone a sign that we will see some new Senior winners over the coming years. Will the likes of Killucan, Kinnegad progress to the next level?

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 29/10/2014 09:25:40    1667952

Link

wonit1time, you might not be aware but Athlone could have been relegated years ago. It's not a shock. No doubt, they'll will be back up in 2016, but to state that their demise means anything to other senior clubs is crazy talk.
Will Killucan / Kennegad win a senior championship (which is the next level you're talking about)? This is a daft question that nobody in this world can answer.

Registered (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 29/10/2014 11:39:39    1667989

Link

I don't think we will see anyone outside of Garrycastle, Shamrocks and Lomans winning the championship for the next 2/3 years, and possibly longer. Garrycastle will be contenders (and probably favourites) as long as Dessie is standing, and the other 2 have quite young age profiles. Apart from Tyrrellspass, no other club has made the final since Castledaly won it in 2008. And before that you have to go back to The Downs in 2005 for another different club. The teams who are strong at underage now (The Downs, Rosemount, Moate, and a few others) won't be contenders any time soon. Many of the clubs doing best in underage aren't even senior.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 241 - 29/10/2014 12:42:00    1668012

Link

Yes winning the senior championship is what I mean. I expect someone is the respective clubs has it in a five year plan somewhere or is it only the county board that works from year to year. Garrycastle seem to be producing some new players at senior but I am not convinced that the Shamrocks or Lomans pipeline is that strong.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 29/10/2014 17:16:19    1668128

Link

Lomans and Shamrocks best players are all relatively young so it doesn't really matter for the next 3/4 years if their underage is currently strong or not (they both had below average minor and u16 teams this year). It's much easier for young players to step up when they are coming in to a strong setup, which is what you see with the Garrycastle youngsters now. None of those lads have any underage medals (for Garrycastle that is, some won a minor as part of a ridiculous amalgamation), but could end up being very successful senior players. Shamrocks had some new young players who did very well this year. Also easy to forget that Lomans were without Ken Casey all year and will surely have him back next year. I agree with a comment above that the Senior Championsip won't be won outside of these clubs for the next few years. After that, it's hard to say who will come in to the reckoning, but new teams always come to the fore.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 255 - 29/10/2014 18:49:51    1668157

Link

All this talk about nothing coming through! you never get more than about 3 or 4 if your lucky from a minor team to go on and consitently play senior football with their club. Garrcastle have had young gardiner, donoghue coming in! theve got the mccallons, browne, young james dolan, cosgrove the monaghans, barrett who are maturing and coming into their prime and then youve harte dessie gaffey henson mullen! loads of mileage left at club level in thos lads combined with youth and then some inexperienced players they will be a major force for the next 5 years!2015 champs

One one hand a nice skillful team id like to see blossom... on the other hand they dont have a bench... they have 1 or 2 big players and those players arnt the caliber of big players like that at garrycastle. Mentally fragile and when push comes to shove are found wanting and then u see the cracks in that lomans team. a lot of passengers.. a very poor defence with the exception of gilmore and dowdall. Although who knows who'll they'll purchase in the January transfer window. A team desperate for success. The GAA isnt about buying success.1 player who lined out in SF didnt even want to play and was begged and offered compensation!!! they have an exceelent underage and they should nurture it! another SF or final but will lack fight in the end.

Shamrocks i dont believe have much coming through but there sure to get a shot. Their team is at a good age. they've got corroon and possibly daly or at ff with dod there. up front smyth is all they have really and can win games on his own that being said he is very hot/cold. the lowest scoring team in the championship before the knockout rounds. hard to see where scores come from. gavin will be back but still a dogdy defence and not great forwards...great team spirit though shown in QF & SF. Not sure wherell they'll go. theyll be there there abouts! some good players to come back and in young Kian Daly a real star.

Tyrellspass I think are a spent force. Glennon is good but not to his old standards. Davy Glennon on his day will do damage. Ger |Egan is a class act any team would want him. at the back no real presence. ginoud is good but i think he was left like a lamb to the slaughter with D Daly in QF. will get to knockout rounds but after that a SF would be a acceptable season.

Every other team is there to make up the numbers... I think Caulry and Maryland will come out of groups! Downs Castledaly Bun Malackys wont feature and will battle to stay up.

ObsessedWH (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 11/11/2014 12:56:09    1671387

Link

All this talk about nothing coming through! you never get more than about 3 or 4 if your lucky from a minor team to go on and consitently play senior football with their club. Garrcastle have had young gardiner, donoghue coming in! theve got the mccallons, browne, young james dolan, cosgrove the monaghans, barrett who are maturing and coming into their prime and then youve harte dessie gaffey henson mullen! loads of mileage left at club level in thos lads combined with youth and then some inexperienced players they will be a major force for the next 5 years!2015 champs

Lomans on one hand a nice skillful team id like to see blossom... on the other hand they dont have a bench... they have 1 or 2 big players and those players arnt the caliber of big players like that at garrycastle. Mentally fragile and when push comes to shove are found wanting and then u see the cracks in that lomans team. a lot of passengers.. a very poor defence with the exception of gilmore and dowdall. Although who knows who'll they'll purchase in the January transfer window. A team desperate for success. The GAA isnt about buying success.1 player who lined out in SF didnt even want to play and was begged and offered compensation!!! they have an exceelent underage and they should nurture it! another SF or final but will lack fight in the end.

Shamrocks i dont believe have much coming through but there sure to get a shot. Their team is at a good age. they've got corroon and possibly daly or at ff with dod there. up front smyth is all they have really and can win games on his own that being said he is very hot/cold. the lowest scoring team in the championship before the knockout rounds. hard to see where scores come from. gavin will be back but still a dogdy defence and not great forwards...great team spirit though shown in QF & SF. Not sure wherell they'll go. theyll be there there abouts! some good players to come back and in young Kian Daly a real star.

Tyrellspass I think are a spent force. Glennon is good but not to his old standards. Davy Glennon on his day will do damage. Ger |Egan is a class act any team would want him. at the back no real presence. ginoud is good but i think he was left like a lamb to the slaughter with D Daly in QF. will get to knockout rounds but after that a SF would be a acceptable season.

Every other team is there to make up the numbers... I think Caulry and Maryland will come out of groups! Downs Castledaly Bun Malackys wont feature and will battle to stay up.

ObsessedWH (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 11/11/2014 13:06:18    1671398

Link

Not sure what the Shamrocks having dodgy backs comment is based on. They've been in 5 of the last 8 county finals with the same core backline for all of those years. The were soundly beaten by Garrycastle in the final, most people would agree. Yet they only conceded 1-11. 1-9 against Lomans. All this without Kieran Gavin. They are limited up front, for sure, but they have had a quality backline for quite a few years now.
Also, to say you'll never get more than 3/4 from minor team to consistently play senior isn't necessarily true. Garrycastle minor winning teams of '96 and '99 (especially) brought loads through. Shamrocks winning teams in 02 and 03 the same. So while there is never a guarantee of bringing players through in great numbers, it can be done.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 241 - 11/11/2014 21:05:57    1671620

Link

Shamrocks lined out against Lomans in the drawn game with only 2 backs that featured prominently in those last couple of county finals. Ed Moore and Aaron Purcel. Gavin may not be back next year. Dodgy may be a strong word but there certainly weeker at the back than in previous years. I know young Daly has come to the fore but he was a wing forward in previous years and the jury is sill out im afraid. And also could you enlighten me and tell what players from the 02/03 Minor team won a county medal in 2012? Lomans had a carcking minor team in 2006 and i dont think any of them started last years county final. Of course you a special team every now and again but there few and far between. I disagree with this notion that nothing is coming through. And any club is lucky to get 3 players from a minor team to consitently play Senior Football!!

ObsessedWH (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 12/11/2014 09:20:39    1671656

Link

It was 2005 that Lomans won the minor, not 2006. Conrad Reilly and Eoin Price played in the 2013 final. That minor team also had Conor and Kieran Lynam who played in the 2009 final, but have emigrated for now. Not the best return, but then I didn't cite that team.
Had to check the yearbooks to answer your question on Shamrocks. From their 02/03 minor winning teams Eddie Moore, Michael Curley, Conor Twomey, Fiachra Spellman, Aonghus Smyth, Cian O'Leary, David Miller and Aaron Purcell all played in the semi final and/or final in 2012. Paul Christie played in the 2011 final. Darren Moore and Eoin O'Meara both played in 2007 county final but emigrated since. That's why I used that group of players, along with the Garrycastle minor winning teams, as my example.

I guess the point I was making (which took more effort than I had planned!!) is that it IS possible to get a great return off one group of underage players. But of course, there is no guarantee. And with emigration especially, you might not get as long out of those lads as Garrycastle have done. Will be interesting to see if the Moate group, for example, can stick together long term.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 241 - 12/11/2014 15:00:35    1671760

Link

Fairplay Jamsie... I didnt realise there was that many of them! A very good minor team if I remember correctly! Shamrocks have lost some amount of quality players to imigration! Well at least there not like Lomans who are trying to buy a team! to win CHampionship! N acheivemenet in what there doing!

ObsessedWH (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 13/11/2014 08:29:27    1671893

Link