Monaghan Forum

Junior championship final

(Oldest Posts First)

Well done to Blackhill on their victory. Long overdue, I'm not a big fan of theirs, also being a junior player, lol, but the joy on all their faces after all this time was a great sight.

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 09/10/2016 18:42:47    1924253

Link

Replying To Iamlegion666:  "Well done to Blackhill on their victory. Long overdue, I'm not a big fan of theirs, also being a junior player, lol, but the joy on all their faces after all this time was a great sight."
Why not a fan?

MrPBoylan (Monaghan) - Posts: 4 - 11/10/2016 10:57:50    1924810

Link

Replying To MrPBoylan:  "Why not a fan?"
Their style of play leaves a lot to be desired, not in the spirit of the game I think is the nice way of putting it.

untutoredyouth (Monaghan) - Posts: 6 - 11/10/2016 22:36:05    1925181

Link

Replying To untutoredyouth:  "Their style of play leaves a lot to be desired, not in the spirit of the game I think is the nice way of putting it."
Basically this, they are also extremely sore losers when things don't go their way)see last 3 years) and if the scoreline was reversed last Sunday, it would have been them preforming the tactics, ie, illegal hits, pull downs, etc.

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 11/10/2016 22:49:51    1925188

Link

Replying To untutoredyouth:  "Their style of play leaves a lot to be desired, not in the spirit of the game I think is the nice way of putting it."
Although on relation to style of play, some very good play by the forwards and excellent performance by young Ciaran Courtney, man of the match for sure.

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 11/10/2016 22:52:20    1925189

Link

In fairness the first half had little football in it. Both teams tried to "bully" each other. Sendings off were merited but ball should have been thrown up not Seans free. 2nd half Blackhill played football and it showed as Seans struggled to start their game. Thought it bit ridiculous Seans had 43 togged out and yet hadn't one sub that contributed to any difference. Not having a go at Seans it jjust wasn't their day

DeMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 102 - 12/10/2016 19:40:57    1925495

Link

Anybody else find it difficult to see at the game on Sunday, especially when the ball was down the scoreboard end of the stand?
Fair play to Drumhowan seems to be a good volunteer spirit in their club but I don't think their ground is fit to host games of this size. Disrespectful to the club's involved and junior football in the county to fix the game here.
Surely Ballybay or Aughnamullen would have been much more suitable for a game of this size?

CurlyFingers (Monaghan) - Posts: 47 - 12/10/2016 21:07:31    1925528

Link

Deman I personally enjoyed the physical aspect of the game. I think bully is a strong word. All teams do it. Look and Dublin and Mayo!

Also I think it's a little unfair to say Blackhill aren't stylist. They always try to play football and have some excellent ball players at the back and up front.

MrPBoylan (Monaghan) - Posts: 4 - 13/10/2016 09:11:52    1925594

Link

I agree PBoylan .........I never said Blackhill weren't stylish nor that they had no footballers. Blackhill are one of the classiest teams in Junior who can mix it as well. The word bully was only being used as a term which is part of all good teams in any sport. Blackhill could handle this part but had the footballers to handle the other as well. and well done to them

DeMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 102 - 13/10/2016 10:01:27    1925615

Link

Curly fingers I have to agree with you on both points. Loads of stewards which was great but I have never heard so many people give out that it shouldn't have been there. To be honest I wouldn't like to have kids there as there just wasn't enough room. Again junior football....throw it in anywhere and it will be grand. I see the Intermediate final is in Clontibret and rightly so.
On the game itself again I agree that if Blackhill concentrated on football alone they will do really well and will rattle a few teams in Inter. I think they would have got promoted earlier if they believed in their own ability. They have a real tricky forward line and they showed that in the second half when the ball came in. On the sendings off.....ah I don't know. D Courtney should not have went....what did he do? He pulled someone down so was a free in all day but no sending off. Personally thought he was lucky to be on the field as he kicked out at a Seans player earlier and the ref only talked to him.
But they are a tough team and best of luck to them in Ulster.....worth a few quid I'd say!

Blacky (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 13/10/2016 10:49:42    1925628

Link

Replying To Blacky:  "Curly fingers I have to agree with you on both points. Loads of stewards which was great but I have never heard so many people give out that it shouldn't have been there. To be honest I wouldn't like to have kids there as there just wasn't enough room. Again junior football....throw it in anywhere and it will be grand. I see the Intermediate final is in Clontibret and rightly so.
On the game itself again I agree that if Blackhill concentrated on football alone they will do really well and will rattle a few teams in Inter. I think they would have got promoted earlier if they believed in their own ability. They have a real tricky forward line and they showed that in the second half when the ball came in. On the sendings off.....ah I don't know. D Courtney should not have went....what did he do? He pulled someone down so was a free in all day but no sending off. Personally thought he was lucky to be on the field as he kicked out at a Seans player earlier and the ref only talked to him.
But they are a tough team and best of luck to them in Ulster.....worth a few quid I'd say!"
You said it your self Courtney pulled a man down therefore it was a black card and he had to go as he was already on a yellow..... so both sendings off were justified.... and I agree he could have went sooner

DeMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 102 - 13/10/2016 19:55:24    1925883

Link

Replying To CurlyFingers:  "Anybody else find it difficult to see at the game on Sunday, especially when the ball was down the scoreboard end of the stand?
Fair play to Drumhowan seems to be a good volunteer spirit in their club but I don't think their ground is fit to host games of this size. Disrespectful to the club's involved and junior football in the county to fix the game here.
Surely Ballybay or Aughnamullen would have been much more suitable for a game of this size?"
Yes Drumhowan was a poor choice of venue although the volunteers represented well, Ballybay could have hosted or do they get finals anymore? Blackhill far superior in the second half and played a lot more football once they gained a lead. Does anyone know how the league works if Blackhill do the double?

untutoredyouth (Monaghan) - Posts: 6 - 13/10/2016 22:55:51    1925946

Link

Replying To DeMan:  "You said it your self Courtney pulled a man down therefore it was a black card and he had to go as he was already on a yellow..... so both sendings off were justified.... and I agree he could have went sooner"
Deman.....I didn't see the black card and if that is what he got then you are correct. I thought it was a second yellow.

Blacky (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 14/10/2016 15:07:33    1926272

Link

I thought it was a poor game overall. Lacked any real quality, lots of needless fouling. Was there any county players out there? Absolutely not. Seans are not the force they once where, there still relying on a couple of older lads up front that have been around a long time. In other words, they were there for the taking. I felt clones/blackhill would have been a much better game. Blackhill are a decent team, but they will do well to stay in intermediate, its a much tougher grade with a better mix of teams. Good luck to them though

222 (UK) - Posts: 496 - 15/10/2016 12:57:50    1926442

Link