Monaghan Forum

Club football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Reports r MC Carthy is out injured for scocstown if he is big miss for them,I think Ballybay have a real good chance of beating them.d other game maraclonne could pip clontibret if they can stop MC Manus not easy done I'm gong for a Ballybay Maracloone final any taughts?a

geardlines (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 11/09/2016 09:01:45    1912682

Link

Just home from double header in Clones, best team won in both games. Ballybay for all their talent not enough of their supposed big name players turned up today, compare that to Scotstown who had the Hughes grabbing the game by the scruff in the second half. Kieran Hughes was brilliant with two long range score with the outside of the boot the hughlights of the game. With McCarthy to come back in I suspect Scotstown will have too much for Clontibret in the final,

In the first match Maghercloone will rue a 25 minute period without a score in the second half and more than half a dozen shots into the keepers hands. For a change clontibret's score where spread out in the second half, special mention to Paudie McMahon who scored 3-1 for Maghercloone, must be hard on the lad to play so well and still be on the loosing team.

I have to comment on the standard of two referees who are both on the national panel. One refused to give frees and in general it was bordering on assault for some of the foul and the player was done for over carrying. He was poor today.
The other ref gave the softest frees going in the first half and then in the second changed his tune and let Blatent fouls go.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1819 - 11/09/2016 19:44:31    1912854

Link

Kieran Hughes was outstanding for Scotstown today

Leed (Monaghan) - Posts: 57 - 11/09/2016 21:14:09    1912908

Link

Have to agree with the standard of the refereeing yesterday. Thought it was terrible in both games. Really felt sorry for both sets of players as time and time again the decisions were baffling. You could see the players getting so frustrated with a number of them getting booked for dissent. Thought first game was very poor but the second was lit up with those 2 K Hughes scores......brilliant stuff. Looking forward to the final when hopefully the ref wont be the star man!

Blacky (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 12/09/2016 14:00:35    1913066

Link

Poor enough games yesterday,Paudie McMahon and Dessie Ward stood out............Conor McManus only wanted to win free's by throwing himself to the ground a soon as there was contact been made with him which was awful to see i hope he stops that messing as it is desperate stuff coming from a player of his ability.

Scotstown werent great only for kieran hughes points which were top draw the could of been beaten..................they will win the final by 5 plus.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1345 - 12/09/2016 14:10:45    1913074

Link

Two poor games yesterday, some of the supposed county players were quite average. There also wasnt' anyone who really stood out that could be an assist to the county in 2017. Fair play to Clontibret back in the final again, there always there or there abouts. And fair play to scotstown to, four finals in a row, not a bad return after a difficult season. Agree with the above, Scotstown will be hard to beat in the final.

222 (UK) - Posts: 496 - 12/09/2016 14:30:02    1913085

Link

McManus was dragged and pulled all day off the ball especially in the second half. It was down to bad refereeing that these offences went unpunished.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1819 - 12/09/2016 14:44:45    1913102

Link

I was at both games in Clones yesterday and fair play to all 4 sides considering the wind. In my opinion, the 2 best teams won in the end, all be it stumbling across the line. Looking forward to Clontibret and Scotstown in the final.

I'm not on here to criticize the refereeing; however I have to say that in both games they were very poor. Some of their decision making was unreal. A player would have to be half killed to get a free, or end up not getting a free. And in another play, they were blowing for a simple jersey pull. On one occasion, Paul Finlay was tripped and fouled by 3 Scotstown players and got nothing, 2 mins later he give Scotstown a free for nothing. To be fair to all teams involved, I think the county board should provide referees to a certain standard. Considering we have Pat McEnaney, one of the country's best referees, can we not use him in coaching the next generation?

Colinwell (Monaghan) - Posts: 30 - 12/09/2016 14:59:37    1913111

Link

Has the potential to be a great county final. Both teams deserved the win.

Scotstown weathered Ballybay well and just completely out played them in the second half. Ballybay did not play any in the second half. Dessie Ward and the wylies kept them within touching distance and really gave it their all but in the end K Hughes was the difference as he was gave acres of space to pull the strings.

Clontibret too did not panic after conceding two early goals showed real spirit and just grinded down a physical Maghercloone team. Was a pity to see V Corey get injured hopefully we see him fit for the county final. Paudie McMahon really is one to watch in the future.

And now to the referees.. Where to start... First game was really gritty and Niall McKenna was letting all go. Players near being half killed without a free and then hand the other team a soft free. Second game was a disgrace Jap was half murdered and no advantage even given when he got shot away. Darren Hughes should half seen black for a trip off the ball right infront of the linesman and referee. Harsh black on Shane McGuinness two players were attacking the ball at full tilt there was little he could do. County board and Pat McEnaeney need to take a look at this and realise all 4 teams yesterday received harsh decisions. For two referees who see themselves as intercounty refs they didnt show this yesterday.

Good final to look forward to and it should be a real ding dust battle.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 144 - 12/09/2016 16:15:38    1913157

Link

Jeez guys think being bit harsh.... conditions weren't ideal for Referees either. Although some decisions were "strange" we don't want refs to be whistle happy and blow everything.... we want a bit of an edge to our games. Referees are hard to get... good ones are even harder... but when the ball is thrown in there is always plenty of them about in the stands.

DeMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 102 - 12/09/2016 16:42:46    1913166

Link

It was only windy not as if the pitch was in bad condition and people were slipping and sliding. The wind only effects the ball. Fair enough they are hard to get and even harder to get a good one but look these games mean a lot to each club and sure who knows if Jap had of got that point when he was dragged around the place and S McGuinness didnt get the black card we could be seeing a Clontibret Ballybay final. So it is important.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 144 - 12/09/2016 17:30:13    1913191

Link

Paudie McMahon really is one to watch in the future.

countymonaghan (Monaghan)

He is if he is managed right. He was played at wing half back for the county minors and him one of the best forwards in the county at that level. A lad like that should have been played at half forward with a licence to fall back. I hope who ever is over the 21's play him up front in the future

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 688 - 12/09/2016 23:22:57    1913330

Link

I agree that there were some questionable decisions in both games but it really is an impossible job. Blow everything and its a whistle happy ref ruining the game. Let stuff go and players are apparently getting murdered. But in fairness to the ref in the first game there was a lot of trying to engineer frees that he was having none of. And that led to a few more actual fouls being missed. If players played the match with a bit less conning it might make the thing a bit easier to manage.

That said some poor decisions were made in both matches. Best teams won and hopefully we will c a good final

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 294 - 12/09/2016 23:40:18    1913336

Link

County Board will be happy with the two teams that are in the final.

xxB3B0Stunnahxx (USA) - Posts: 89 - 13/09/2016 10:04:40    1913431

Link