Monaghan Forum

Clones V Casement

(Oldest Posts First)

Just saw a report there that the GAA were seeking support from Ulster clubs for the Casement redevelopment.

What implications will this have for Ulster Final? In my opinion Clones is by far the better area to have the match, with a great carnival atmosphere in the town.

What has the Casement Park area got to offer supporters outside of the ground? No real pubs or gathering area for supporters to enjoy a drink and a bit of chat about the game outside. When Monaghan won the Anglo Celt this year the craic on Fermanagh street after it capped off a great day for the county. I think most Ulster players love St Tiernach's park, especially on Ulster Final day.

The Ulster Final in Clones and a Munster Hurling Final in Thurles are probably the two real marquee provincial finals in the GAA calender. I fear that if we lose the Ulster Final to Casement then we will put the concept of what an Ulster Final is in jeopardy.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 04/09/2013 12:50:57    1474907

Link

Simple answer from clubs in this county and every other one in Ulster should be NO.

There would be no staduim built without British Goverment money.

All Clones needed was a small upgrade..........Knock the old dressing rooms,join it to the O'Duffy terrace,bucket seat the McGrane and Eastern stand,and build a new 2 tier Gerry Arthurs stand making Clones close to holding 50,000 people.

Lets be honest,Ulster Finals do not attract anymore the 36-40 thousand anymore,back in the 04-05-06 season when everyone was loaded with dosh, and Armagh and Tyrone would bring 20,000 each with them is long over.

Its not because Clones is in Monaghan...look at Breffni,great staduim,but rarely uesd........Armagh much smaller but rarely uesd......Omagh...Brewster park.....Pairc Elser (the marshes).........all rebuilt for noting.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1345 - 04/09/2013 20:41:08    1475364

Link