Monaghan Forum

Monaghan V Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It wasn't a red card foul. Everyone is confusing it with the professional foul in soccer. It is irrelevant that Conor was going through for a goal. If that tackle happened in midfield it would be a booking and nothing more. The same applies here. Yes, it's unfair and looks bad, but as a previous poster said, don't be fooled: Monaghan would've done the exact same thing up at the other end.

greenalien5 (Monaghan) - Posts: 44 - 04/08/2013 18:36:31    1452563

Link

Listen, when all is said and done I think we should have a bit of perspective here although I agree with a lot if the points about throwing the game away etc etc. The first Monaghan game I made this year was on a cold damp January evening in Inniskeen against Fermanagh in McKenna Cup. If you told me then that I would be in France in a hot sunny August day discussing Monaghan as Div 3 and Ulster Champions, I would have said you are not well in the head. But it's true.

Well done to the boys for a brilliant year. Hopefully this team will progress and prove that this year was not just a flash in the pan. Next stop Division 1 football and we need to get ourselves right to achieve that goal this winter. Truth be told we are never going to make inroads into the All Ireland series unless we are competing at Div 1 level. Look at the teams who are left. All Div 1.

To achieve what we have achieved this year from Div 3 is unreal.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 04/08/2013 21:20:31    1452760

Link

Congratulations to the Ulster Champions after a fantastic win Over Donegal. Monaghan were more flat against Tyrone but that is understandable after the celbrations and even then Monaghan were still within a kick of victory. Monaghan may well be the only Ulster county with championship Silverware as autumn moves towards winter. If Tyrone get beat in the semis, nobody will remember that. The Ulster champions of 2013 however will not be forgotten.

John Boss (Tyrone) - Posts: 865 - 05/08/2013 10:10:05    1452872

Link

I don't think the lads lay down against Tyrone like hardcore has said. We were a bit flat compared to the ulster final but were still Well in contention with 10 mins to go. Unfortunately it was almost a mirror image of 2007 v Kerry again. Lack of composure from senior players bad shot selection cost us badly. Oh and a terrible ref thrown in once again. Still
hell of a year won't be forgotten in a hurry.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1373 - 05/08/2013 10:18:07    1452880

Link

Feeling somewhat gutted especially after watching RTE highlights last night. Two Tyrone players punched DM - only one got a red. I don't see the same player in any way as a 'dirty' player, though he had committed a range of minor fouls in the first half. SC's foul on CMc M was within the rules. Unfortunately, in DH's case he helped pull Darren to the ground.

I agree with much - though not all - of what JB said. He gave us a slating a few years ago following the 'Battle of the Bogside'. The truth sometimes hurts. Is the Black Card the answer? I have my doubts. Giving a 13 m free in front of the posts is an interesting suggestion by one poster. Of little use in Sat's situation, but a penalty award if inside a certain line could help. By and large I would prefer a sin bin solution with no sub allowed - as per rugby.

With an extra man we stayed over-defensive at the start of the second half. At times we got caught in possession etc and mistakes were made - as is the case in any game. It's a pit SG's shot didn't hit the back of the net. Nevertheless, he ran himself into the ground for Monaghan - as he has done so often in the past.

At the game in the second half I thought we looked tired at times and just wondered why GD wasn't introduced?

It's a game we could have won, and I'm sure the squad etc are more gutted than any one. In the wider scheme of things we won promotion and are Ulster champions.

Meanwhile the minors need our support to-day.

drumlingael (Monaghan) - Posts: 40 - 05/08/2013 10:21:58    1452886

Link

some of the things being said about séan cavanagh are disgusting.
all teams do this. there was an exact same incident in the kerry/cavan match, with not one word said.
it's one thing to point out the mistakes of a team, that is joe's job, we all know that and accept that. but he does not have ANY right to launch a personal attack on a player, saying he's a "disgrace" or "not a man." He has absolutely no right, and he is no place to say these things.
as for the actual tackle, it was not in any way a red card offence, even though it was beside the goal.
i can't understand the fuss about this at all.

tyrone0358 (Tyrone) - Posts: 37 - 05/08/2013 15:13:35    1453330

Link

Yes it's not nice to have these things said about Sean but the thing is, they are true and that's what Brolly is frustrated about as much as anything else. Tyrone have developed a very cynical attitude and poor lack of sportsmanship under Mickey Harte and the powers that be need to stamped out these tactics before the game goes to pot. And this is far from a once off as we seen with the Meath game a week earlier.

drumlinbelt (Monaghan) - Posts: 179 - 05/08/2013 16:12:40    1453406

Link

It's been a great season especially compared to the last 2 and the players and management deserve all the praise.

The only real disappointment for me was the way Monaghan lost it at the finish on Saturday, not just that they lost. Unfortunately the heads went a bit first in the tight finish. Probably fatigue or maybe a bit of over celebration but the game was still there to be won and that's exactly the type of game that they'll need learn to win if they are really going to make an impact on the All-Ireland series. Especially disappointing was the kicking from 50+ yards off the outside of the boot with a wet ball when it was possible to re-cycle or play in to McManus. There were also a couple of pickups which I don't understand because that's a basic skill and it should be natural to a player. It should be an effort to lift the ball straight off the ground. The management put in a good platform and it's up to the team to adapt and that didn't really happen. We just tightened up. It's the next big step for these players. I do think if McGuinness or Freeman had started then we might have tested Tyrone a bit more at the back. For me Carlin lacks the pace for inter-county and doesn't really compensate for that and Gormley is a red card waiting to happen.

As expected Cormac Reilly was a disaster. He is probably the worst ref I've seen in the last 10 years. I can understand a ref missing something but he sees things that haven't happened - sent off Dick 2 years ago for nothing, yellow card for Hughes and Conor Gormley asks for and gets a free at a crucial point. Gormley should also have got the line at halftime. What exactly is going on here? How many more games is he going to get?

On the plus side the defence has really tightened up and didn't concede a goal against some of the best forwards in the country. Walsh and Wylie have been especially outstanding in the full back line and Beggan compensates for some lack of real height at the back. For next year it would be great to have another option at midfield and maybe look again for a taller fullback if possible. It would also be good if Monaghan could get all their scoring forwards on the pitch for the start of a game because McManus, Hughes, Freeman, McGuinness, Duffy or a couple of the others on form would be a great threat, however I suppose the blanket defence limits the forward options. However, given Mayo's performance yesterday there is a time to cut loose. Yesterday might have been it for Monaghan. I hope Tommy Freeman doesn't retire. He had an unlucky injury which disrupted his year. I think he's still got the pace and brain to cause serious problems for teams.

As for Tyrone, it'll be very interesting to see how they get on against Mayo. They tend to struggle against a big team with a dominant midfield, like Cork a few years ago. I hope they do well but I think Mayo have laid down a marker yesterday and they look like they could go on the rampage again. Still Tyrone have dismantled other good teams but I just don't think they've got their newer players up to that standard yet.

As for the comments made about Cavanagh on tv and elsewhere, sure he is a great player, an all time great, but if you behave the way he does then people are entitled to call you on it. No point in saying others do the same - he does it and he can't complain about the criticism, otherwise he should change his behaviour. His play acting also really detracts from his game. He reminds me a bit of arjen robben who really gets on my wick. Don't get me wrong, it's not anti-tyrone sour grapes and there are a good few others who are worse.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 299 - 05/08/2013 19:07:22    1453664

Link

people honestly need to get real about the whole thing.. every team is resorting to cynical fouling in both hurling and football.. anyone watch Kilkenny for the last 10 years there masters at it but at the end of the day there winners and as we all know nice guys win nothing. If the shoe was on the other foot we would have been looking for wylie or walshe to do the same if a Tyrone man was running through. I have a bigger problem with the blanket defence which a lot of teams deploy including US! the biggest thing I enjoyed over the weekend is that mayo showed that there is no room for this blanket defence in the game so wonder what we happen when every team is forced to play football. its sick to look at and is destroying our game. Kieran Duffy siting marking nobody and us a man up sure a man in the local pub could play in his position and get on loads of ball if there's no one marking him!

over all we've had a great year Promotion and ulster champs big thank you to the players for the year they have given us fans. Probably the last time we have seen dick, Owen, jap tommy and maybe Vinnie. All great servants to the cause over the last 10 plus years. me for 1 is worried that cavan will dominate ulster in the coming years how are we gunna listen to them when they do:)

as for brolly this man is a show man nothing else rte have a lot to answer to when they have to stick this man on telly on a sunday. he's jealous that Tyrone have 3 all Irelands in the last 10 years that's his major problem. sean Cavanagh is a all time great man is awesome in full flight.

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 206 - 05/08/2013 19:50:15    1453726

Link

Darren will get in trouble for saying what he said but its the truth. Anyway I think it was a bad decision putting one of our best players on kavanagh. It minimised his impact on the game. It's been a great year but would like to see us play a bit more positive next year. We have great young forwards like mcguinness, Hughes and jack mc carron to supplement Conor McManus and should be using them more.tyrone were there for the taking at the weekend. Mayo will destroy them.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1373 - 06/08/2013 10:11:28    1453995

Link

Looking back at the game a few times and a few things stood out.
One - we did come out the wrong side on a number of big calls: Kieran Hughes' first booking, the Darren Hughes booking for a perfect tackle which probably changed the game, the Gormley red card not given and Darren Hughes cleaned out with a third man tackle after his great move with Drew Wylie while the Freeman foul on Gormley late on was very soft too.
Two - we should still have won. We lost it when we switched off after the equaliser on 62 minutes. Within a minute Tyrone had waltzed up the other end and scored without a Monaghan player touching the ball or even getting in a tackle after another short kick-out. We were always chasing it after that and made a lot of handling errors.

Still, a tremendous effort by the team this year and hopefully they can use this as a spur to push on and go even further next year. As other posters have mentioned, we need to find a little more attacking threat and ideally the likes of Owen Duffy, McGuinness and McCarron can provide. Might also be on the look out for another midfield option too.

Can't see Tyrone getting past Mayo but I wish them the best of luck.

Mike Patton (Monaghan) - Posts: 81 - 06/08/2013 10:55:06    1454032

Link

Mayo won't destroy Tyrone. If history has taught us anything, its that its very hard to put outstanding performances back to back. The temptation in Mayo will be to keep everything the same but Tyrone will have analysed that game and identified areas where Mayo are strong and where they are weak. Do you honestly think that Aidan O'Shea will be allowed to catch that many balls? I still think Mayo will win but Tyrone will hang onto them like a bad smell.

The Face (Monaghan) - Posts: 890 - 06/08/2013 12:12:50    1454120

Link

Agreed, Tyrone will be going into the game as severe underdogs, which will suit them. Nobody will give them a chance and, like us against Donegal, this is a great way to go into a game! Mayo will be up against it against Tyrone. They might just shade it, but they're going to be coming up against an intensity level they haven't met this year.

greenalien5 (Monaghan) - Posts: 44 - 06/08/2013 12:46:10    1454179

Link

By the way did Darren and Cormac Reilly have previous from the first round match against Tyrone in 2011? Apparently the insinuation was that there were words between the two at half time? Not 100% if it was him but I may be wrong.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 06/08/2013 15:56:00    1454434

Link

Yes I believe I'm right!!

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/hospital-pass/guff-giving-referees-and-has-every-footballer-in-cavan-played-for-cavan/

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 06/08/2013 16:00:07    1454442

Link

And another. Interesting bit of history in the Reilly/Hughes/Monaghan/Tyrone saga.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/13671091

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 06/08/2013 16:02:00    1454445

Link

is there any reason why the ccc have not called conor gormley before them for his punch?

nevergiveup08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 315 - 07/08/2013 15:02:09    1455504

Link

A super super year that has ended on a very sour note thanks to Cormac Reilly. He has denied us an all Ireland semi final spot. Yes we could have won it anyway but every team wastes opportunities in games and can still win. What beat us was shocking calls from the referee at vital stages in the game simple as and not the Cavanagh incident which is an error on GAA part. Roll on 2014. This side has plenty of promise. Fair play is all that's missing from officials please.

supp01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 156 - 08/08/2013 13:16:32    1456446

Link

One question: Why was Tyrone able to name 31 players on their match day panel when we had 26?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 704 - 08/08/2013 15:26:17    1456648

Link