Monaghan Forum

Monaghan Minors

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Best of luck to the minors on Sunday!! Heading there myself!! Hoping for a great game! Great season for them so far this year!! Still love listening to Northern Sounds commentry on the penalty at end if Ulster Final!

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 23/08/2013 21:33:06    1466813

Link

All the very best to the Minors....what a summer you have given us.

Knoxboyo (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 24/08/2013 13:14:50    1466966

Link

Best of luck to everyone involed tomarrow,its been a great journey,but lets keep it going.

I want to see us do what Tyrone,Down,Armagh and Derry minor's have done in the past as Ulster Champions,go on and win the All Ireland.

I believe you's are good enough,i hope you's do to.....

Go for it.......no regrets.

MUINEACHAIN ABU.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1346 - 24/08/2013 20:18:10    1467253

Link

go for it lads... ye WILL do it!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 371 - 24/08/2013 20:45:57    1467267

Link

Just back very disappointing performance today. The weakness of the backs and the midfield was exposed against a good Mayo. The Management got the match ups wrong and only changed things when the damage was already done. Ryan McAnespie was wasted today and needed to play closer to the goal. Done much of his good work around the half back and midfield area. The first Mayo goal was a killer after McCarthy leveling the match. The half back line was non existent and you could drive a bus through the heart of the defense all day long. But am not going to be too hard on the young lads they done the county proud and deserved their Ulster Title.

At this Moment in time I can see Loughran,McAnespie and McCarthy making the break through to senior football. The next need to develop a lot over the next 5 years.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1819 - 25/08/2013 17:53:46    1467757

Link

I would put Ferghal McMahon into group for making breakthrough too.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 25/08/2013 19:05:24    1467834

Link

Cant get over the way the management team of the county minors lined the team today were never going to win but never had a chance with the team selection

sotec (Monaghan) - Posts: 67 - 25/08/2013 20:14:36    1467922

Link

Mc Mahon in that group?Not a hope

hoganboy5 (Monaghan) - Posts: 111 - 25/08/2013 21:47:57    1468029

Link

Very disappointed at the treatment of my own club mate Dermot Gleeson who was dropped from the match squad on the week of the AI semi final. This must have been very disappointing for Dermot & his family. Dermot had a great contribution to the minor team this year particularly halping overturn Tyrone in the Ulster final when introduced in the second half. Although the managemnet have got alot of decisions right this year I think they got this one completely wrong and in my opinion this would not have happened if Dermot was from one of the larger clubs within the county.

George (Monaghan) - Posts: 23 - 26/08/2013 09:51:42    1468124

Link

We saw the prime example of a team worrying about the opposition instead of playing their own game. What was the management at. The players were like lost dogs on the field their were so many out of position. Was crazy stuff.Play your own game and forget about the opposition.

supp01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 156 - 26/08/2013 09:57:44    1468132

Link

Some of the comments here are disgraceful lads. These boys are minors, not even out of school. Probably shouldn't be spoken about so negatively by some. They are at a tough enough age as it is without having to deal with slagging in hoganstand. Fair play to the minors this year, they got beat by a better team, but they will have gained a lot from the experience.

But one thing for sure, they have a ulster minor medal in their back pocket, which is more than anyone posting on here.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1045 - 26/08/2013 11:26:27    1468235

Link

Supermon i totally agree these young lads are only 16,17 and 18 and theyve already made history.. As for the negative comments on here which is a disgrace to the players and management which gave it their all all year.. as for players being dropped these things happen at all levels with players playing one game and being dropped for the next day.. thats just football!! They were beat on the day by a strong and skillful mayo team which will be hard stopped. Alot of the players didnt play but they are only young and no doubt the big day got to them but fair play for what they achieved this year which is great for monaghan football and also the team and management. Best of luck to mayo in the All Ireland final which i think will be the winners.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 144 - 26/08/2013 13:21:43    1468386

Link

Despite the huge victory for Mayo yesterday, we still managed to create at least 3 excellent goal scoring chances, while also missing or choosing not to score some easy points. In addition we conceded a soft second goal. [No criticism of our goalie as he has had a very good season]. Apart from that we had some bad luck when it came to some attacks especially in the first half.

It was a very open game played without a sweeper on either side. This was good to see despite the result.

Management have to make hard choices. Players who may not have made the match day squad still make a worthy contribution. All - management, players, match day squad and wider squad - deserve our thanks for a very successful season.

Hopefully we can build on this and see some of these young players at U 21 and senior county level in the future.

drumlingael (Monaghan) - Posts: 40 - 26/08/2013 13:56:08    1468429

Link

A good year for the minor panel came to a disappointing end against an excellent mayo outfit. Our boys just never got going and it just drifted away in the second half. Our goal in the first half brought the game to life but conceding straight away knocked the stuffing out of them as it could do to any team. Monaghan must be applauded for fighting on to the end though. Although the scoreline suggests we fell apart completely, we did keep creating chances right up to the final whistle. Unfortunately none went in to the net.

Are there many of the panel eligible again next year?

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 294 - 26/08/2013 15:28:56    1468558

Link

I agree thats it has been a great year for our minors who brought us pride, its not about the 15 its about the 32.

MidMonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 49 - 26/08/2013 15:28:58    1468559

Link

Disappointing end to what has been a thrilling summer of minor football but then anything less than an all ireland win would have brought dissappointment at this stage of the competition .These lads have given up their summer and without doubt have done their parents,clubs and county proud .maybe in a years time the realisation of how much they achieved will will become apparent.it was a complete effort that took each and every one of the panel coaches and selectors . We dared to dream and for that lads we thank you its a year that will be remembered for your achievements not for the defeat !!!! Best of luck to Mayo in the final and i sincerely hope the county recognises your comitment and success this year its no more than you deserve

mon_fan66 (Monaghan) - Posts: 2 - 26/08/2013 16:15:34    1468628

Link

Can't believe what happened Sunday,What was the management team at?

Ryan McAnespie playing centre half back???,while Aodh Curran went half forward?

NO SWEEPER PLAYED..........Mayo could and should of had 3 first half goals.

Cant fault the lads on the team,it was lost on the line.......even though i taught Mayo were better all round team,and will win the All Ireland.

NOW NEXT YEAR,K.Loughran D.McAllister R.McAnespie C.McCarthy F.McMahon A.Treanor M.McMagee,should all be on the U21 panel it will bring them on at that level and will give us a strong foundation in 3 years time when they are in their last year (it didnt do Cavan anyharm)so we begin to build now,if we dont we can forget about these lads.

Its been a great journey thanks to all involved with this great minor team,sunday was a bad day,but we are still the Ulster Champions and no one can take that away.

Thanks again.......up Monaghan.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1346 - 27/08/2013 13:41:36    1469261

Link