Monaghan Forum

Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Bernardo:  "Knox's east is in Cavan Knox's west in Monaghan. I am from Monaghan."
Knocks East is in Cavan is it ?
You have a strange relationship with the truth.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 259 - 19/05/2019 18:12:46    2185540

Link

Replying To Knoxboya:  "Knocks East is in Cavan is it ?
You have a strange relationship with the truth."
Should have read as good as in Cavan.

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 442 - 19/05/2019 19:59:15    2185598

Link

Replying To Monaghan2000:  "McManus coming off the bench..he's by miles our best player..Drew Wylie needs to be dropped immediately he was completely off the pace tonight..management thought paudie mckenna was worth a start I wonder what goes through Malachys head sometimes."
Was kinda talking about early rounds if we are out against the Waterfords and Wexfords of this world again no point McManus playing in those games. Of course he is our best player but he's 32 and probably has a season or two left so a player of his vintage shouldn't be flogged to death in these games with 2 or 3 lads hanging out of him. Jack missing last night was a big blow our point scoring and attacking efforts were junior B standard at times. Lot of posters understandably down today but this group of players have given us some great days out and owe us nothing. I sincerely hope i am wrong but I'll be v surprised if they make it through the qualifers this time round as I think first decent hard running team they get that will be it. The legs have gone in the key positions due to father time and a lot of football played and it won't be until next season or likely the one after that when good replacements are blooded from the underage ranks. One last thing if I am wrong which is always possible as just one opinion on a supporters forum I'll recommend malachy o rourke print off a few of our media reports from last night including the Joe Brolly post match analysis for a little bit of motivation for the players. I hear the boot was put in pretty quickly by the derryman on the final whistle on commentary.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1316 - 19/05/2019 20:46:31    2185635

Link

Of all the downsides to this game - one feature stands out.... why is out counter attack so lethargic and pedestrian? It almost a feels strategic to slow the game down!! The pace (or lack there-off!) of our attacks allowed Cavan to regroup and set up their defensive structure. It's not a new phenomenon for Monaghan but Undoubtedly more pace should enable us to puncture any defense with the quality and strength of our ball carriers and who knows - maybe even score a goal or two !!!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 281 - 19/05/2019 22:41:02    2185684

Link

Im shocked at the amount of people on here thinking we will win on Saturday night.....You's do know we are missing Darren Hughes,Kieran Hughes,Niall Kierans,and Barry Kerr???????????

Plus the fact that this is Cavan's All Ireland final, after all they did pull their players from club football 4 weeks ago to make sure everyone would be ready for this game,there management have made it quite clear that this is the game they are going to be ready for from the start of the year.

Add all that to the fact we a weaker now than we have ever been because of the Managements failure to inject new blood to the panel when the clearly knew we badly needed players around the middle but ignored it.........that will come home to roost Saturday evening,shocking decision from them.......and please dont say theres no players out there because there is they werent called up and thats a fact............how you can judge a player on a 10 minute run out 6 years ago and disgard him now that he has matured into a fine player is disgraceful.

ive a bad feeling about it,cant blame the players their a credit,they flogg themselfs all year for the jersey,just a pity Management wouldnt give them a hand by adding to the squad to bulid a proper panel!!!!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1339 - 14/05/2019 14:12:07

Has it finally sunk in now.........................

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1340 - 19/05/2019 23:18:27    2185704

Link

Why is malachy not being called out.. lost it on the line simple as..

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 175 - 20/05/2019 08:10:15    2185734

Link

It was a pretty dire performance, especially first half. Only really Hughes, maybe Boyle and Kieran Duffy when he came on played up to the required level.

The first-half approach was like an early season challenge game with hardly a tackle put in at all and players being easily beaten or jinked around. Better second half but the damage was already done. Referee didn't help either.

There were a couple of obvious issues with the staring line up. Keiran Duffy, Darren Hughes, Niall Kearns and Vinnie Corey were all missing from last year's team at the start and that's a serious amount of physical power gone, even the commentators mentioned during the parade that Monaghan were lacking in that department. Two of the replacements for these were O'Hanlon and McKenna. There is no comparison in terms of physique there. There were no big hits or the drive that Hughes and Corey bring to the team and nobody else stood up and really took their place which is a problem.

O'Hanlon needs to learn to run away from contact until he is stronger. His speed is a serious weapon, the frees and scores will come if he avoids going into contact. Referees aren't going to give him easy frees. It was obvious in the league. That said it wasn't his fault that Monaghan's forward play was so poor. Carey deosn't have the power or pace to beat his man and while he can knock over a point 2 occasionally I'd have Owen Duffy ahead of him for the next few games. He can run, he's big and if he's on form he'll score a few points.

Midfield is the real killer though. Hughes/Kelly did OK but they are needed elsewhere in the team. Surely there's got to be someone over 6 foot that can do a spoiling job and free up at least one of Hughes and Kelly. The teams Monaghan are likely to meet in the qualifiers will have two big midfielders if nothing else and Monaghan will struggle against them unless this is addressed. Last year with Kearns/Hughes Monaghan generally won the midfield battle against teams that they would have struggled against in the past, the result an all ireland semi-final. This year without that midfield they're out in the first round and probably going to struggle to make it through the qualifiers. If Monaghan pull a div 4 team then there is scope to give someone a shot. Work needs to be done by the management team to dig someone up.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 47 - 20/05/2019 10:13:43    2185782

Link

One further point, Aidan O'Rourke has given his take on the game on the RTE website this morning and he's very much of the opinion that Monaghan are not finished due to age, wear and tear etc (unlike as some else mentioned certain Derry man) but need to adjust the their mental approach to regroup for the remainder of the season, which I think has been discussed on this forum on more than one occasion.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 47 - 20/05/2019 10:26:26    2185792

Link

is that the man who failed to get the job 7 yrs ago

neutral (None) - Posts: 262 - 20/05/2019 10:57:09    2185812

Link

what do we do? we dust ourselves off and move on. cavan are a top 10 team. we're possibly a top 7. they had home advantage and hunger...its actually not that big a scalp (predicted by quite a few people) but fierce disappointing nonetheless.

The draw will be interesting. when's that made? hopefully avoid an ulster team.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 46 - 20/05/2019 11:10:10    2185822

Link