Mayo Forum

Mayo v Cork

(Oldest Posts First)

Poor display and result, early days though, seem to be relying on the Horan panel, no new players have nailed a place on the panel since Horan got the job in 2011, we were very poor in half backs and half forwards, very worried about the Dublin game at home next Saturday

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 31/01/2016 20:59:57    1821055

Link

"no new players have nailed a place on the panel since 2011" what planet are you on? there's no point in even naming the players who would come into the category. A number of them started championship games last year and in 2014.

Poor display yesterday but time to move on. The early rounds of the league are rarely an indicator of what lies ahead for the season.

pdempsey (Mayo) - Posts: 1313 - 01/02/2016 08:32:44    1821113

Link

Poor result and display from Mayo. The new players that started really stuggled, i thought Vaughan was poor again and its hard to recollect when he last had a good game. Crowe was out of his depth as was Nally, I hope Nally can get another go but hes up against it after yesterdays display. Regan was ok and took on his man, but i still he would struggle against a top side because of his height.

daftdave (Mayo) - Posts: 83 - 01/02/2016 11:08:23    1821188

Link

daftdave you picked out the new lads for special attention. Nallys man did not score and while he did not play well he was way ahead of Vaughan. The Midfield were totally outplayed after 20 minutes and was Crowe any worse than D O Connor.

theenforcer (UK) - Posts: 127 - 01/02/2016 11:20:32    1821191

Link

Yes, It was only January and we have never been so badly hit by injuries. It may be no bad thing that we are well short of peak at this stage of the year. That said it was as poor an effort as I can remember. Have to say I think it was unwise for Lee to get involved in a war of words with O'Rourke at this stage of the season. There is enough pressure on the team without that.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 416 - 01/02/2016 11:24:57    1821192

Link

think the player power has back fired lads.

pretender (Meath) - Posts: 358 - 01/02/2016 12:57:02    1821242

Link

Might be no harm in the bigger picture if we struggle in league a bit and are forced to try out new players for a change,,,no use throwing them in the deep end like drake in the semi final last year.all potential players should be given at least two full games in the league.

west88 (Mayo) - Posts: 1 - 02/02/2016 11:23:55    1821554

Link

OK, it was a very, very poor display on Sunday. Cork were streets ahead of Mayo and deserved to win by at least 9 points. It is only the first game of the season so even if we won I would not be getting too excited. We do not know what the situation is with the current level of training and how long the players are back. In addition, there is many players not available. However, a few items things need to be addressed.
1) We still seem to have the same game plan as we had three years ago running and hand passing the ball out of defence all the way past midfield. Maybe due to the time of year we have to use this game plan. I just hope that when we start in the championship in May and the ground gets solid that we will use Rochford's game plan from his Corofin days, which is direct quick ball into the forwards from the defence.
2) Maybe this had to do with Cork dominance in the middle of the pitch but why did we not stick A O'Shea in at full forward for the second half or even swap one of our mid field players in there. From the TV it looked like we had the breeze and quick ball may have worked. In addition, A O'Shea looked lost in the middle of the pitch.
3) We seem to have trouble kicking long-range scores. Some of the cork forwards kicked some great points in the first half from around the 45-yard line. I think young C O'Shea is the only player I remember kicking a long-range score.
4) Our goalkeeper was excessively busy. Pulled off some great saves but major holes in our defence. However, at that stage we were chasing the game.

The game next Saturday evening will be interesting. No one is giving this team a chance against the Dubs but who knows the team may pull off a result. I feel Mayo should focus on Down, Roscommon and Monaghan. Get three wins in the bag and secure DIV 1 status for another year. Try to blood some new players and different tactics should be the priority of this league campaign.

Giveitago (Mayo) - Posts: 81 - 02/02/2016 16:13:08    1821681

Link