Mayo Forum

Mr Prenty's report

(Oldest Posts First)

Interesting to see this man saying that football at county level is becoming unsustainable, financially. I'd like to know what he takes out of it in a financial sense, including expenses? That's only one person I'm talking about, we can start calculating the rest after his total for last year comes in. I'm in no doubt but an awful lot of people might be shocked at the amounts involved. However, this little detail may prove very difficult to obtain as followers seem to want this brushed this under the carpet. I wonder why?

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 326 - 25/01/2016 20:46:53    1819234

Link

I wouldn't worry about it, it's the same in the majority of counties

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 31/01/2016 19:17:42    1820979

Link

Well time someone senior in the GAA spoke up in this issue, he is to be commended. Jimmy McGuinness has being saying the same for the past few years. The top teams in DIV 1 are more or less professional now in all but name and wages. In the International Rules games the Aussies are no longer able to bully our lads and this is evidence that the players are really living a professional sportsman lifestyle. This has come at a huge cost though and only one county can sustain that cost longterm, Dublin. Jimmy reckons they are taking in around 10M per year. (Last year Leitrim could not afford to put their team up in a hotel for away games) Kerry, Mayo and to a some extent Galway can generate big money through their vast network of exiles, but only in the short term. The number of paid backroom staff is increasing all the time and as Mr Prenty points out it in the case of Mayo, (the only real DIV 1 side in Connacht for several years now) is not covered by the entire gate receipts of all Connacht teams. The arrival of SKY will, I believe, make matters worse in this area, with a ever bigger slice of the cake going to an ever fewer number of county teams. My Prenty has seen the problem but getting a solution is going to be very difficult.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 997 - 01/02/2016 09:09:07    1821123

Link

Dublin got more funding than the rest of the counties put together.

http://www.newstalk.com/Jim-Gavin-explains-why-Dublin-received-134-million-in-funding

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 416 - 08/02/2016 11:05:11    1823365

Link

I don't think people understand the topic that started this thread. While it's a fact that the whole organisation of mostly amateurs and volunteers generate huge amounts of money within the GAA, it's shocking that certain people are taking massive amounts of money out of the pot for personal usage. I've been told that the top GAA man is pocketing in the region of up to €400,000-00, inc so called expenses in the year. That's one man and that's savagely wrong in any man's language. What are the rest of them on?

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 326 - 08/02/2016 19:01:12    1823666

Link

Its a bit rich for him to be complaining about costs etc when he is getting handsomely paid by an 'amatuer' association. His salary/expensies should be disclosed along with all the people hanging around the 'Centre of Arrogance' in Bekan

richardcrowe (Mayo) - Posts: 52 - 09/02/2016 14:39:38    1823976

Link

Its a bit rich for him to be complaining about costs
rich , costs , good one yeah

liner (Mayo) - Posts: 756 - 09/02/2016 20:39:57    1824205

Link