Mayo Forum

Back Door 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Horan is playing the same way in 2019 as he was in 2010-2014 with the same players. Time waits for not man

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 30/05/2019 16:19:44    2189159

Link

Interesting observations regarding what at least the pundits and bookies regarded as 2 shock wins for Roscommon in the past 2 years. They beat Galway in 2017 in Salthill. The report on the rte website speaks of several very questionable cards issued, mainly to Galway. Paul Conroy was sent off on a Black card. Galway supporters felt that the visitors got away very robust tackles while the home side were whistled for very little.
They beat Mayo in Castlebar last Saturday, and having watched a replay of the tv coverage Mayo could easily make the same complaints. Andy Moran was sent off on a Black card. The same ref took charge of both matches.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 413 - 31/05/2019 13:53:08    2189403

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "Interesting observations regarding what at least the pundits and bookies regarded as 2 shock wins for Roscommon in the past 2 years. They beat Galway in 2017 in Salthill. The report on the rte website speaks of several very questionable cards issued, mainly to Galway. Paul Conroy was sent off on a Black card. Galway supporters felt that the visitors got away very robust tackles while the home side were whistled for very little.
They beat Mayo in Castlebar last Saturday, and having watched a replay of the tv coverage Mayo could easily make the same complaints. Andy Moran was sent off on a Black card. The same ref took charge of both matches."
They bullied us and deserved to win. You didn't mention Damien Comer being sent off a few years ago because Cillian conned the ref into thinking that Comer deliberately walked into him. We're not exactly shrinking violets which is a good thing. Rossies probably have a few complaints to make about the officials too last Sunday. Think it was a Darren Coen wide given as a point in the second half, Cunningham wasn't happy about it but kept his cool. We've lost 9 All Irelands and some supporters will find a ref, a player losing the head, a bad or no sideline move, etc to blame. The scoreboard doesn't lie. I'm sure the players don't think like that and will work hard to fix any faults and strive to improve the next day.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5498 - 31/05/2019 20:39:58    2189493

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "Interesting observations regarding what at least the pundits and bookies regarded as 2 shock wins for Roscommon in the past 2 years. They beat Galway in 2017 in Salthill. The report on the rte website speaks of several very questionable cards issued, mainly to Galway. Paul Conroy was sent off on a Black card. Galway supporters felt that the visitors got away very robust tackles while the home side were whistled for very little.
They beat Mayo in Castlebar last Saturday, and having watched a replay of the tv coverage Mayo could easily make the same complaints. Andy Moran was sent off on a Black card. The same ref took charge of both matches."
Let it go my friend. We were beaten by the better team on the night and it's time to move on. Don't begrudge Ross their win as like ourselves they have seen plenty of bad days. Time to concentrate on the back door and hope that Horan has got the message that he has to up his game. If he does and our injuries, especially Cillians, clear up and we get the odd bounce of the ball we'll be there or thereabouts at the business end. I was behind the flight of one of our "points" at the weekend and I never had a doubt that it was well wide. If the Ross had lost by a point they would have been livid and rightly so. The ref didn't get everything right but he didn't cost us the game. I don't think we have anyone to blame but ourselves.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 31/05/2019 20:45:36    2189494

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "Let it go my friend. We were beaten by the better team on the night and it's time to move on. Don't begrudge Ross their win as like ourselves they have seen plenty of bad days. Time to concentrate on the back door and hope that Horan has got the message that he has to up his game. If he does and our injuries, especially Cillians, clear up and we get the odd bounce of the ball we'll be there or thereabouts at the business end. I was behind the flight of one of our "points" at the weekend and I never had a doubt that it was well wide. If the Ross had lost by a point they would have been livid and rightly so. The ref didn't get everything right but he didn't cost us the game. I don't think we have anyone to blame but ourselves."
Gough had been criticized from some quarters for being a bit fussy. I think he picked our game to show he was able to let the play flow. The Rossies just tuned in quicker than our lads.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 01/06/2019 17:11:12    2189645

Link

What a pile of crap, I know you're view is not the view of the real Mayo supporters so try and watch that game again as a neutral and see it was poor shot selection that cost mayo. Out of the 17 wides there was 7/8 that should not have been tried . We also had another goal chance that hit of keepers leg and 9 wides . Try starting Clarke & not taking off 2 forwards that score 8 points between them instead of sticking with big names who are having an off day. As for lucky wins Ros should be going for 3 ina row if you watched last years final.

Itoldyouso (Roscommon) - Posts: 32 - 02/06/2019 08:05:15    2189712

Link

Replying To Itoldyouso:  "What a pile of crap, I know you're view is not the view of the real Mayo supporters so try and watch that game again as a neutral and see it was poor shot selection that cost mayo. Out of the 17 wides there was 7/8 that should not have been tried . We also had another goal chance that hit of keepers leg and 9 wides . Try starting Clarke & not taking off 2 forwards that score 8 points between them instead of sticking with big names who are having an off day. As for lucky wins Ros should be going for 3 ina row if you watched last years final."
Have to agree with you, you've told no lies. You never know, we might meet again before the year is out and good luck in the Connacht/Connaught Final.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 323 - 03/06/2019 19:39:28    2190291

Link

Replying To Itoldyouso:  "What a pile of crap, I know you're view is not the view of the real Mayo supporters so try and watch that game again as a neutral and see it was poor shot selection that cost mayo. Out of the 17 wides there was 7/8 that should not have been tried . We also had another goal chance that hit of keepers leg and 9 wides . Try starting Clarke & not taking off 2 forwards that score 8 points between them instead of sticking with big names who are having an off day. As for lucky wins Ros should be going for 3 ina row if you watched last years final."
Talk about contradicting yourself..
How can you say you should be going for 3 in a row when Galway beat you well last year. Ye may have been better in the first half but in the second half you kicked a load of wides , didn't score from play and fell apart and couldn't contain Galways forwards when they decided to play..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 04/06/2019 14:26:13    2190520

Link

Liverpool were beaten in last years champions league final, what did they do? Got rid of their goalie and a few more changes, what do Mayo do? Bring the same goalie back in again to cost us more matches. Bring back Clarke and give our 3rd choice goalie the number 2 spot, an interesting thing I heard last weekend former Mayo goalie Fintan Ruddy age 35 was playing in the gaeltacht tournament in Kerry was kicking over free kicks from 60m, our goalie v Roscommon couldn't get a kick out correct

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1388 - 06/06/2019 16:24:28    2191210

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Liverpool were beaten in last years champions league final, what did they do? Got rid of their goalie and a few more changes, what do Mayo do? Bring the same goalie back in again to cost us more matches. Bring back Clarke and give our 3rd choice goalie the number 2 spot, an interesting thing I heard last weekend former Mayo goalie Fintan Ruddy age 35 was playing in the gaeltacht tournament in Kerry was kicking over free kicks from 60m, our goalie v Roscommon couldn't get a kick out correct"
There were very few complaints about Rob Henelly after the League Final, quite the opposite in fact. He shouldn't be taking frees, plain and simple. His confidence was shot after missing frees he shouldn't have been taking. That's not saying I don't want David Clarke in goals the next day because I do, but Rob should be number 2. Even if Cillian is out they need other freetaking options, possible even going short if needs must. But the freetakers have to be those taking the frees decided by management, not randomly chosen in game.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5498 - 06/06/2019 23:34:30    2191334

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "They bullied us and deserved to win. You didn't mention Damien Comer being sent off a few years ago because Cillian conned the ref into thinking that Comer deliberately walked into him. We're not exactly shrinking violets which is a good thing. Rossies probably have a few complaints to make about the officials too last Sunday. Think it was a Darren Coen wide given as a point in the second half, Cunningham wasn't happy about it but kept his cool. We've lost 9 All Irelands and some supporters will find a ref, a player losing the head, a bad or no sideline move, etc to blame. The scoreboard doesn't lie. I'm sure the players don't think like that and will work hard to fix any faults and strive to improve the next day."
Well written and spot on. Mayo will re group and hopefully we will meet again if we both make the 8 ball!!!

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 917 - 07/06/2019 12:19:57    2191414

Link