Louth Forum

Two years on - management review

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Are the best people involved? Is there a drive in Louth to really improve?

Of course there isn't. At best its a Luke warm interest in Louth. Due to poor admin for last 25 yrs most decent Louth GAA people just concern themselves with the club and vote for the 'great pretenders' who run for office of the county board if they benefit the lcub in some way....

Louth needs external management who needs to statisically analysis whats exactly going on from under 12's upwards..... and fulltime coaches who are accountable for their input to make a difference, which basically means a revolutionary change which we wont see happen.....

Even when Louth had better players we still had the old failings of the 'nearly men' because the overall standards in our club games isnt competitive enough...our better club players dont need to compete hard enough to make the Louth panel compared to other counties and are not used to competing physically against other intercounty teams as a result to win silverware...

Louth needs to focus primarily on winning underage and minor intercounty competitions as a priority, which can only happen thru improving the standards in the club game....we need more youngsters playing the game and more local rivalry at club level........, the Seniors just do what you can because they have been reared thru a defunct system.....

herewe38 (Louth) - Posts: 506 - 25/06/2016 16:09:01    1871878

Link

Have we improved,definately not.We took a lot of heavy beatings last year and got relegated.This year we got by in a poor div4.Lost v poor Meath and Derry teams which were very winnable games and saving face by constantly talking about the 6 day turnaround
I would love to see a new man that's more tactically aware and have us playing to a system
Personally I don't think we have a strong enough county board to implement these changes and are happy to stay as we are and not ask the hard questions

chopperharris (Australia) - Posts: 65 - 30/06/2016 15:04:56    1874303

Link

Replying To chopperharris:  "Have we improved,definately not.We took a lot of heavy beatings last year and got relegated.This year we got by in a poor div4.Lost v poor Meath and Derry teams which were very winnable games and saving face by constantly talking about the 6 day turnaround
I would love to see a new man that's more tactically aware and have us playing to a system
Personally I don't think we have a strong enough county board to implement these changes and are happy to stay as we are and not ask the hard questions"
Chopper that was last year that we got the heavy beatings. Wee got no heavy beatings this year. It was disappointing to be beaten by Meath as they were there for the taken. Division four might have been poor but you can only play whats in front of you. Louth were third favs with the bookies to go up so Louth did very well not only to win promotion but to win the Division four title.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 30/06/2016 15:48:54    1874332

Link

It suits the county board that Louth are not winning championship matches as it takes the pressure off them to provide Louth GAA with a decent home to play in.

How on earth could they justify a 10k-15k stadium in Louth when Louth are not playing any more than one or two championship/qualifier games in a year ?.

THE_SNAPPER (Louth) - Posts: 2016 - 30/06/2016 16:15:53    1874345

Link

C Kelly has done very very well with this group of inexperienced players as Ollie has pointed out......it would be nonsense to suggest he shouldn't continue if he wants to continue....
Like i have always said the problem is far bigger than who the Louth senior manager is....

herewe38 (Louth) - Posts: 506 - 30/06/2016 16:28:08    1874351

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Chopper that was last year that we got the heavy beatings. Wee got no heavy beatings this year. It was disappointing to be beaten by Meath as they were there for the taken. Division four might have been poor but you can only play whats in front of you. Louth were third favs with the bookies to go up so Louth did very well not only to win promotion but to win the Division four title."
Ollie if our year is judged on not taking heavy beatings then we are really in a depressing state
We were well beaten by both poor Meath and Derry teams and the margin of defeat in both should have been a lot more
As said in a previous post the county board obviously don't want us progressing or have any ambition

chopperharris (Australia) - Posts: 65 - 30/06/2016 18:59:58    1874433

Link

Exactly what right does anyone in Louth have for us to be doing any better than we are currently doing??

Its not like we won a heap of Leinster minor titles over the past decade even.....

herewe38 (Louth) - Posts: 506 - 30/06/2016 19:25:45    1874441

Link

Replying To chopperharris:  "Ollie if our year is judged on not taking heavy beatings then we are really in a depressing state
We were well beaten by both poor Meath and Derry teams and the margin of defeat in both should have been a lot more
As said in a previous post the county board obviously don't want us progressing or have any ambition"
Chopper in your last statement you said Louth received heavy beatings from last year. I am saying that they did not receive heavy beatings this year. Louth have reached one Leinster final in the past 56 years and only two Leinster semi-finals in the past 18 years. If you look at the records from last year and this year in all competitions (O Byrne, League and Championship). Last year reads Played 13 Won 3 and Lost 10 compare it to this year Played 15 Won 9 Draws 1 Lost 5. A big improvent indeed.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 30/06/2016 21:31:35    1874468

Link

CK should certainly continue and I would actually like to see it for resins previously stated. I also agree that the biggest problem with Louth football is not who the senior county manager is.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 01/07/2016 16:14:11    1874752

Link

Yea Ollie that's true but last year we wer playing division 3 last year so obviously we would win a lot more game in a much lower grade this year so I don't really think that's relevant.I personally do think Kelly should get another year simply because there isn't much realistic lads out there who'd be an upgrade on Kelly anyway.And also Kelly might edge out more improvement outta these younger lads.But we need to beat a bigger team in championship like Meath,Kildare,Westmeath etc to consider us making progress.And survive at least in division 3 too.

Novak (Louth) - Posts: 96 - 01/07/2016 17:31:47    1874799

Link

Novak all of those counties you mention Meath,Kildare,Westmeath has had far greater success at underage than Louth have ever had in the last 20 yrs....so why expect these same lads beat them at Senior grade?

herewe38 (Louth) - Posts: 506 - 01/07/2016 22:32:50    1874876

Link

I wonder was the debate at the County Board meeting on the re-appointment of the manager as widespread and concerned as the views on this site.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1403 - 20/07/2016 10:29:08    1886846

Link