Louth Forum

Allianz Football League Division 3 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

Allianz Football League Division 3

27.01.2019 (Sunday) - Louth v Longford (Time TBC)

03.02.2019 (Sunday) - Westmeath v Louth (2pm)

10.02.2019 (Sunday) - Offaly v Louth (2pm)

24.02.2019 (Sunday) - Louth v Sligo (Time TBC)

02.03.2019 (Saturday) - Carlow v Louth (7pm)

16.03.2019 (Saturday) - Louth v Laois (2pm)

24.03.2019 (Sunday) - Down v Louth (2pm)

Plenty of Leinster derbies with five other teams from the same province in this division. 3 home matches and 4 away matches. The away matches are not too bad and not much travelling to them. Carlow away is on a Saturday night so could make a weekend out that trip. The last match against Down is a tasty derby match.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 05/09/2018 11:54:46    2139399

Link

Nice set of fixtures in terms of driving compared to last years away trips.
All places reachable in under 2 hours , cant argue with that, will hopefully get to them all.

louthman57 (Louth) - Posts: 267 - 05/09/2018 16:20:19    2139548

Link

Replying To louthman57:  "Nice set of fixtures in terms of driving compared to last years away trips.
All places reachable in under 2 hours , cant argue with that, will hopefully get to them all."
It's all good . The players should be fresh too. No run to Sligo.
We should get 10 points and battle for more with Laois and Down.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1378 - 06/09/2018 23:50:33    2139999

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "It's all good . The players should be fresh too. No run to Sligo.
We should get 10 points and battle for more with Laois and Down."
Looking forward to the away trips to all decent grounds which are not a million miles away.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 07/09/2018 10:15:08    2140055

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "It's all good . The players should be fresh too. No run to Sligo.
We should get 10 points and battle for more with Laois and Down."
A good set of fixtures, no doubt. Very favourable in terms of distances, especially considering that we've actually got 4 away games. Certainly a lot of potential to right the wrongs of last year too.

But to suggest that we 'should get 10 points' is a bit wishful now, I'm thinking. Its all well and good being ambitious and positive about the season ahead, and by God I hope you're right. But first thing we have to do is get our house in order from last year. Lets be honest, it was an absolute disaster in 2018 (10-point loss to Leitrim, anybody?). At the moment, there's nothing to suggest anything other than being in a dogfight to stay in this division in 2019. Hopefully we'll winter well and can start the pre-season in good form too. By that stage I'd be hopeful that we'd be in a better place to at least challenge for promotion in this division. Until then though, I'd put us closer to the bottom than the top.

Our worst-looking fixture is probably away to Carlow, a team that thumped us by 11 points in the Leinster Championship. Going to their patch will not be easy. They'd have to be warm favourites. We've 3 other away games, against teams that I think we'll be relatively evenly matched against. I'd hope that we could take Westmeath & Offaly, but would be less hopeful of us beating Down in Newry. A clean sweep of 3 wins from 3 at home has got to be a target. Again, I think we're relatively evenly matched to all 3, but any one or all of those results could go against us.

Personally, I think we'll struggle to get 10 points. 5 or 6 points and a dogfight with Sligo and Offaly for another relegation could be our lot. Yes, I'm being pessimistic, I know. But its only based on what I've seen this year. Prove me wrong!

Whitey_Toppskin (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 07/09/2018 13:09:47    2140112

Link

Replying To Whitey_Toppskin:  "A good set of fixtures, no doubt. Very favourable in terms of distances, especially considering that we've actually got 4 away games. Certainly a lot of potential to right the wrongs of last year too.

But to suggest that we 'should get 10 points' is a bit wishful now, I'm thinking. Its all well and good being ambitious and positive about the season ahead, and by God I hope you're right. But first thing we have to do is get our house in order from last year. Lets be honest, it was an absolute disaster in 2018 (10-point loss to Leitrim, anybody?). At the moment, there's nothing to suggest anything other than being in a dogfight to stay in this division in 2019. Hopefully we'll winter well and can start the pre-season in good form too. By that stage I'd be hopeful that we'd be in a better place to at least challenge for promotion in this division. Until then though, I'd put us closer to the bottom than the top.

Our worst-looking fixture is probably away to Carlow, a team that thumped us by 11 points in the Leinster Championship. Going to their patch will not be easy. They'd have to be warm favourites. We've 3 other away games, against teams that I think we'll be relatively evenly matched against. I'd hope that we could take Westmeath & Offaly, but would be less hopeful of us beating Down in Newry. A clean sweep of 3 wins from 3 at home has got to be a target. Again, I think we're relatively evenly matched to all 3, but any one or all of those results could go against us.

Personally, I think we'll struggle to get 10 points. 5 or 6 points and a dogfight with Sligo and Offaly for another relegation could be our lot. Yes, I'm being pessimistic, I know. But its only based on what I've seen this year. Prove me wrong!"
True Enough Whitey. If you look at our record against the other seven teams there are only two teams we beat the last time we played them and that was Offaly and Laois. The other five teams beat us in either the league or the Championship the last time we faced them.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 08/09/2018 11:58:12    2140303

Link

Yea and a lot depends on first few games as it generally determines whether your looking up or down for the campaign. I'd be happy with 6th right now.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 09/09/2018 20:05:40    2140538

Link