Louth Forum

Competition Structures

(Oldest Posts First)

The way the last few seasons have gone, I believe there is a need to seriously look at club competition structures in Louth. There is a large cohort of clubs that will be finished up by the end of August. A long wait then until mid-February.
Is it any wonder clubs struggle to hold onto players and the game as a whole in Louth continues to struggle. I would make a number of points that I believe maybe need to be looked at;
1. The Sheelan Cup/Mullen Shield need to be scrapped. No player has any real desire for these matches, what ends up happening is that these competitions do not even end up being completed in some cases, the Mullen shield final last year and the plate finals in both competitions this year being a case in point.
2. A restructuring of the leagues to allow for more matches to make up the shortfall would then be required. Maybe create 3 divisions of 10 and a division 4 of 7 teams. Home and away allowing 18 matches across the 4 grades.
3.The junior championship needs an overall. Too many one sided games, maybe create a junior A of six teams, 2 groups of 3, top 2 into the semis. The remaining 7 teams (along with the option of Annaghminnon becoming an 8th team) competing in a junior B. Winner of the junior B going up to the junior A and the bottom team from each group in the junior A playing off with loser going down to junior B. Surely the likes of Dowdallshill and St Nicks would benefit more from a number of championship matches that was at least competitive.

Hopefully this thread can generate a bit of friendly discussion that could possibly lead to some change in the future.

rocky92 (Louth) - Posts: 55 - 20/08/2018 13:20:44    2134726

Link

Replying To rocky92:  "The way the last few seasons have gone, I believe there is a need to seriously look at club competition structures in Louth. There is a large cohort of clubs that will be finished up by the end of August. A long wait then until mid-February.
Is it any wonder clubs struggle to hold onto players and the game as a whole in Louth continues to struggle. I would make a number of points that I believe maybe need to be looked at;
1. The Sheelan Cup/Mullen Shield need to be scrapped. No player has any real desire for these matches, what ends up happening is that these competitions do not even end up being completed in some cases, the Mullen shield final last year and the plate finals in both competitions this year being a case in point.
2. A restructuring of the leagues to allow for more matches to make up the shortfall would then be required. Maybe create 3 divisions of 10 and a division 4 of 7 teams. Home and away allowing 18 matches across the 4 grades.
3.The junior championship needs an overall. Too many one sided games, maybe create a junior A of six teams, 2 groups of 3, top 2 into the semis. The remaining 7 teams (along with the option of Annaghminnon becoming an 8th team) competing in a junior B. Winner of the junior B going up to the junior A and the bottom team from each group in the junior A playing off with loser going down to junior B. Surely the likes of Dowdallshill and St Nicks would benefit more from a number of championship matches that was at least competitive.

Hopefully this thread can generate a bit of friendly discussion that could possibly lead to some change in the future."
Totally agree. Clubs will only improve while playing against teams at their level. I have been saying that for years.

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 342 - 22/08/2018 08:45:38    2135517

Link

Replying To croker16:  "Totally agree. Clubs will only improve while playing against teams at their level. I have been saying that for years."
Clubs will improve by playing at their level but some clubs think they are at a different level then what they are really at & don't want to admit to it & just add numbers to a silly Div 3 but the County board don't see this & football will not improve in the county because of this.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 145 - 26/08/2018 00:09:40    2136581

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "Clubs will improve by playing at their level but some clubs think they are at a different level then what they are really at & don't want to admit to it & just add numbers to a silly Div 3 but the County board don't see this & football will not improve in the county because of this."
TopDog will ya stop I can guarantee you that the split to Division 3a/3b and double rounds this year will improve the standard of football across Louth more than just letting Naomh Mairtin into division 3 which only benifits yous. You have to appreciate the people from the clubs who voted on county board made the decision to improve the foundations of Louth GAA not just create short term peaks. I reckon the smaller divisions and double rounds is going to work that well in Division 3 we will end up doing it in all divisions.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 26/08/2018 10:14:38    2136592

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "TopDog will ya stop I can guarantee you that the split to Division 3a/3b and double rounds this year will improve the standard of football across Louth more than just letting Naomh Mairtin into division 3 which only benifits yous. You have to appreciate the people from the clubs who voted on county board made the decision to improve the foundations of Louth GAA not just create short term peaks. I reckon the smaller divisions and double rounds is going to work that well in Division 3 we will end up doing it in all divisions."
A Div with 6 teams in it is not great & hiding teams in Div 3B is not the answer & clubs like the Nicks have to have a look at where they are going. They have an amount of 40+ players who just turn up for games when it suits them. They be better off doing what Annaghminnon Rovers done & starting fresh in Div 6 & building from there.
This is not always about my club there is a bigger picture & club football in Louth is really struggling the County board is shocking the county grounds is a shambles we have no County manager to look at players playing in the biggest club games in the next few weeks?? Its just hard to see the sport I love to be in such a mess.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 145 - 26/08/2018 12:25:40    2136603

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "A Div with 6 teams in it is not great & hiding teams in Div 3B is not the answer & clubs like the Nicks have to have a look at where they are going. They have an amount of 40+ players who just turn up for games when it suits them. They be better off doing what Annaghminnon Rovers done & starting fresh in Div 6 & building from there.
This is not always about my club there is a bigger picture & club football in Louth is really struggling the County board is shocking the county grounds is a shambles we have no County manager to look at players playing in the biggest club games in the next few weeks?? Its just hard to see the sport I love to be in such a mess."
Just because you say it's not about your club dosnt fool anyone. The fact you use Annaghminnon as an example is laughable if Annaghminnon don't make the step up to 3b they are gone. They are in serious tough times and my heart foes out to the lads. But you think the nicks should do the same!? Just says to me you don't care or can't see around the blue and white. Both Div 3a and 3b will be highly competitive next year there will be no where to hide in both divisions with every team capable of getting a win on any day. Granted Stabannon and Mals could suffer by some of their stalwarts calling it a day but that is natural. You talk about the county board, grounds and love of the game but the sad reality is no one is willing to do anything about it. The finances reflect this only for our commercial income, which is thanks to your own chief penny counter and top table we have nothing there is no support! Is it any wonder no manager is jumping out at us. Its not because the cheques bounce or they're whims won't be facilated. We just have to remember back to the disasterous club fixtures when CK was making demands. It's simply because ya can't win in Louth, player, volunteer or committee member if you raise your head above the parapet your going to have these critics who never opened the official guide, never took a juvenile training session, never collected money at a gate or sold a line in a raffle, slating your every move all the while expecting everything done for them. Sometimes I look at lads volunteering and on committees and think to my yous are bloody mad lads. No amount of money could make me do what they do.
I agree with you TopDog it's like domestic abuse at this stage something I love that causes so much hurt, no wonder I stick to the high stools!

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 26/08/2018 14:03:47    2136635

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "Just because you say it's not about your club dosnt fool anyone. The fact you use Annaghminnon as an example is laughable if Annaghminnon don't make the step up to 3b they are gone. They are in serious tough times and my heart foes out to the lads. But you think the nicks should do the same!? Just says to me you don't care or can't see around the blue and white. Both Div 3a and 3b will be highly competitive next year there will be no where to hide in both divisions with every team capable of getting a win on any day. Granted Stabannon and Mals could suffer by some of their stalwarts calling it a day but that is natural. You talk about the county board, grounds and love of the game but the sad reality is no one is willing to do anything about it. The finances reflect this only for our commercial income, which is thanks to your own chief penny counter and top table we have nothing there is no support! Is it any wonder no manager is jumping out at us. Its not because the cheques bounce or they're whims won't be facilated. We just have to remember back to the disasterous club fixtures when CK was making demands. It's simply because ya can't win in Louth, player, volunteer or committee member if you raise your head above the parapet your going to have these critics who never opened the official guide, never took a juvenile training session, never collected money at a gate or sold a line in a raffle, slating your every move all the while expecting everything done for them. Sometimes I look at lads volunteering and on committees and think to my yous are bloody mad lads. No amount of money could make me do what they do.
I agree with you TopDog it's like domestic abuse at this stage something I love that causes so much hurt, no wonder I stick to the high stools!"
I know a lot of them nicks lads & they know there club is struggling & that's why they have 6 lads 40+ still playing it would do them no harm to drop to DIV 6 & rebuild for a couple of years & then return to Div 3B. nothing to do with naomh martin. Why would I want to fool anyone I had a good view at Div 3 last season & seen the level 2/3 teams in it & all the rest where afraid of the challenge that naomh martin brought & wanted them out. The fear in them clubs is unbelievable but understandable. I think DIV 3A could be ok but you be sick playing the same few teams all the time.
Div 3B could be a disaster teams can sit back in the comfort zone won't get as big of beating as last year cause half the teams are gone we can't go down so it's just a bit of crack.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 145 - 26/08/2018 21:04:33    2136683

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "I know a lot of them nicks lads & they know there club is struggling & that's why they have 6 lads 40+ still playing it would do them no harm to drop to DIV 6 & rebuild for a couple of years & then return to Div 3B. nothing to do with naomh martin. Why would I want to fool anyone I had a good view at Div 3 last season & seen the level 2/3 teams in it & all the rest where afraid of the challenge that naomh martin brought & wanted them out. The fear in them clubs is unbelievable but understandable. I think DIV 3A could be ok but you be sick playing the same few teams all the time.
Div 3B could be a disaster teams can sit back in the comfort zone won't get as big of beating as last year cause half the teams are gone we can't go down so it's just a bit of crack."
"nothing to do with naomh martin.""all the rest where afraid of the challenge that naomh martin brought & wanted them out. The fear in them clubs is unbelievable but understandable." you're a gas man TopDog. I think the only fear was the instability a second team brought to a main competition. Winning by +15 one week then losing by the same the next. You are all about levels are you not happy with where yous have found yourselfs in Div 4 & 6 this year?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 28/08/2018 09:25:12    2136974

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  ""nothing to do with naomh martin.""all the rest where afraid of the challenge that naomh martin brought & wanted them out. The fear in them clubs is unbelievable but understandable." you're a gas man TopDog. I think the only fear was the instability a second team brought to a main competition. Winning by +15 one week then losing by the same the next. You are all about levels are you not happy with where yous have found yourselfs in Div 4 & 6 this year?"
The more i read your posts WheresDeBallBag i think you are a ccc member and a member of the maroon and whites in mid louth. You seem to very up to date on whats happening...very strange

itslouth (Louth) - Posts: 178 - 28/08/2018 13:08:33    2137089

Link

Replying To itslouth:  "The more i read your posts WheresDeBallBag i think you are a ccc member and a member of the maroon and whites in mid louth. You seem to very up to date on whats happening...very strange"
Jaysus I knew I was bad but to be placed on the ccc and the big oxidised one himself... You may aswell call me Lucifer. I'm neither just an outright messer unlucky enough to be living in Louth. It's not hard to keep an eye on the Louth gaa website and make my way around the public houses of Louth, yous give me too much credit. Alot of you boys on here are worse than the gards, yous must be refs.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 28/08/2018 13:47:33    2137113

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "Jaysus I knew I was bad but to be placed on the ccc and the big oxidised one himself... You may aswell call me Lucifer. I'm neither just an outright messer unlucky enough to be living in Louth. It's not hard to keep an eye on the Louth gaa website and make my way around the public houses of Louth, yous give me too much credit. Alot of you boys on here are worse than the gards, yous must be refs."
ah now, dont put us in that bracket (Refs)..stay out of them public houses...no championships won in them places

itslouth (Louth) - Posts: 178 - 28/08/2018 14:24:06    2137127

Link

Glad to see we're not the only county with these issues. We had 24 clubs in our county up until a few years ago. For anyone looking at that it looks like a nice even split for league and championship of 8 teams each for each grade....but our CB couldn't see that! We had a Senior Championship at one stage containing 14 of the 24 clubs, 8 in Intermediate and 2 sole junior clubs playing second string senior clubs. Result of this been, a lot of one sided games where eventually 3 clubs have folded after players lost interest in playing. Instead of 8 teams of near equal standard we had 2 or 3 clubs playing second string senior clubs and getting hammered week in week out. St. Munis and Shroid Slashers no longer exist and Modow Harpers have amalgamated with St. Patrick's. Disgraceful by our CB to turn a blind eye to what's going on.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 872 - 02/09/2018 06:10:13    2138291

Link

Replying To Spinx:  "Glad to see we're not the only county with these issues. We had 24 clubs in our county up until a few years ago. For anyone looking at that it looks like a nice even split for league and championship of 8 teams each for each grade....but our CB couldn't see that! We had a Senior Championship at one stage containing 14 of the 24 clubs, 8 in Intermediate and 2 sole junior clubs playing second string senior clubs. Result of this been, a lot of one sided games where eventually 3 clubs have folded after players lost interest in playing. Instead of 8 teams of near equal standard we had 2 or 3 clubs playing second string senior clubs and getting hammered week in week out. St. Munis and Shroid Slashers no longer exist and Modow Harpers have amalgamated with St. Patrick's. Disgraceful by our CB to turn a blind eye to what's going on."
Spinx you do be up awfully early, but thank you for your opinion. Its ongoing currently in Louth and it does threaten 2-3 clubs futures. I don't think the mixing of second teams and first teams is good unless it is heavily policed.

BluenYellow (Louth) - Posts: 103 - 05/09/2018 15:23:46    2139520

Link