Louth Forum

Aaron Hoey In Louth Team Of The Week

(Oldest Posts First)

I seen the Louth team of the week this morning and I noticed that Aaron Hoey was in it at number 9 and thought to myself that he must be at least 40 at this stage, on doing a bit of investigating into it I seen that he is 41.

Now I don't know too many men in there 40's still playing at a high level like he is, so i'd just like to say what a fantastic achievement it is for him to get in to the team of the week at the young age of 41.

I assume he didn't play at number 9 but? That would just be outrageous stat all together.

ShaggyBoii (Louth) - Posts: 3 - 19/07/2018 16:05:46    2123804

Link

A good player, serious longevity... very comitted. Another who was completely robbed of a deserved Leinster title in 2010

sam57 (Louth) - Posts: 1501 - 19/07/2018 17:29:45    2123823

Link

A great club player and servant to the Wee County cause. He would def be on my Louth team from the last fifteen to twenty years. He missed out on a well deserved Joe Ward title in 2002 when the Brides were beaten by Mattock when they won their maiden title. As Hoeyser was asked during the Scannel Programme about the Leinster final in 2010 what was his highlight? The Leinster Final 2010. What was his low light? The Leinster Final 2010.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 20/07/2018 11:11:51    2123972

Link

A good thread this, as it made me realise that there probably was not enough commentary on Aaron's massive dedication to Louth football when he did retire from the inter-county scene. I saw him first as a half back on a Dundalk CBS team that won a Leinster U16. The accuracy of his passing and his sheer strength on the ball was very obvious at that stage. He played in the full forward line in his first year with the county and subsequently played in the half forwards, half backs and eventually full back to solve a problem there. I remember him playing against Galway in the league, several hours after his grandmother's funeral - she who had been at so many of his matches, over the years. One always knew Aaron would give 100%, every time he wore the Louth jersey. Over the years with the club, he has been consistently excellent, year after year. Man of the match, I think with 10 points in the club final, Ollie. So to think he is on the team of the week, at 41, is incredible, albeit knowing the man, no great surprise. I see youngsters with him before the Louth games, so I hope they keep the proud Hoey tradition going, and a third generation represent the county in the near future. And with the way the Brides are going this year, he might have another medal by September!

LaLu (Louth) - Posts: 204 - 20/07/2018 17:15:38    2124058

Link

Replying To LaLu:  "A good thread this, as it made me realise that there probably was not enough commentary on Aaron's massive dedication to Louth football when he did retire from the inter-county scene. I saw him first as a half back on a Dundalk CBS team that won a Leinster U16. The accuracy of his passing and his sheer strength on the ball was very obvious at that stage. He played in the full forward line in his first year with the county and subsequently played in the half forwards, half backs and eventually full back to solve a problem there. I remember him playing against Galway in the league, several hours after his grandmother's funeral - she who had been at so many of his matches, over the years. One always knew Aaron would give 100%, every time he wore the Louth jersey. Over the years with the club, he has been consistently excellent, year after year. Man of the match, I think with 10 points in the club final, Ollie. So to think he is on the team of the week, at 41, is incredible, albeit knowing the man, no great surprise. I see youngsters with him before the Louth games, so I hope they keep the proud Hoey tradition going, and a third generation represent the county in the near future. And with the way the Brides are going this year, he might have another medal by September!"
All great points LaLu and I totally agree what a player and sergeant he was to Louth and still is to Brides.
One thing I'm wondering maybe Ollie could help here? I always thought Aaron started as a left half back for Louth? I remember him marking Trevor Giles in Croke Park in 97/98 I think. He then went to full back/ centre half back etc and finally to the forward line?

Perhaps some of the better statesmen on here can help me?

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 342 - 20/07/2018 23:51:57    2124188

Link

I would swear he was right corner forward against Carlow in 1997....

LaLu (Louth) - Posts: 204 - 21/07/2018 13:53:09    2124251

Link

At first I thought a poor effort by other players, when a 41 year old gets in team of the week. But when you go through his career and hear people speak of his quality and ability in any position he surely has to be regarded as a true Louth great, and still to be playing and training, what an idol he must be to his wee boys.fair play to the man and I hope he guides the Bride's to Senior football .

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 21/07/2018 14:23:46    2124262

Link

Aaron has been a great to Louth Footbal and is now guiding the brdes theough senior foot ball in league and potential next year in senior

Another player that made team of the week is much the same vintage as Aaron and has overcome a serious illness not once but twice and turns. In inspirational performances for the Dreadnots very week ...... if any guy In Louth deserves a senior championship medal then Derek Shevlin has to be top of the list .

gaelgoir (Louth) - Posts: 239 - 22/07/2018 13:40:37    2124647

Link

Replying To LaLu:  "I would swear he was right corner forward against Carlow in 1997...."
in 1995 he played corner forward against Kildare in newbridge

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 82 - 23/07/2018 11:46:54    2125096

Link

Seen him play midfield against the Mitchels at u11, 30 years ago, he was good then too!

m_the_d (None) - Posts: 1092 - 23/07/2018 14:07:39    2125214

Link

Fantastic post here and reading the comments on a Louth Great here brings a tear to the eye.

Aaron is a legend and a gentleman

itslouth (Louth) - Posts: 178 - 01/08/2018 09:39:35    2128141

Link

Super player

LiathroidiMor (Louth) - Posts: 243 - 01/08/2018 13:07:25    2128211

Link

If you seen him against Mattock he was a good shout for team of the week then. Playing as a sweeper that was essentially reading the ball the way a forward would. He must have had his name on about 7 or 8 turn overs that night in Ardee, he was excellent.

S.M (Louth) - Posts: 88 - 03/08/2018 08:16:40    2128659

Link

Loves his football and loves Louth. Modest too. A real honour to chat to him about football in Drumcondra a while back. Shattered another 2010.

ninjasmyth (Louth) - Posts: 516 - 30/08/2018 22:16:33    2137775

Link

Replying To LaLu:  "A good thread this, as it made me realise that there probably was not enough commentary on Aaron's massive dedication to Louth football when he did retire from the inter-county scene. I saw him first as a half back on a Dundalk CBS team that won a Leinster U16. The accuracy of his passing and his sheer strength on the ball was very obvious at that stage. He played in the full forward line in his first year with the county and subsequently played in the half forwards, half backs and eventually full back to solve a problem there. I remember him playing against Galway in the league, several hours after his grandmother's funeral - she who had been at so many of his matches, over the years. One always knew Aaron would give 100%, every time he wore the Louth jersey. Over the years with the club, he has been consistently excellent, year after year. Man of the match, I think with 10 points in the club final, Ollie. So to think he is on the team of the week, at 41, is incredible, albeit knowing the man, no great surprise. I see youngsters with him before the Louth games, so I hope they keep the proud Hoey tradition going, and a third generation represent the county in the near future. And with the way the Brides are going this year, he might have another medal by September!"
What a brilliant post and tribute LaLu. Fair play.

Ihateforums (Louth) - Posts: 103 - 31/08/2018 09:13:23    2137828

Link