Louth Forum

Louth v Down

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I am very disappointed with the loss yesterday. To start with I thought the referee was very poor and obviously when you lose by six points it is hard to blame everything on the ref which I am not, however there was a lot of times Louth players were fouled and he played on and also he didn't seem to understand the Mark.

Regarding the game itself, I thought William Woods had a very good game and probably if he had shot himself in the first half rather than passing it, the deficit could have been down to two points. I felt in the second half that Louth failed to take advantage of the wind. I think our keeper gave Down two easy points which when the game was close was very frustrating.

I thought one of our forwards was poor in particular in the first half when he ran straight through on goal soccer style and hit the ball well wide.

However I think it is a learning curve and Pete McGrath will take time to decide who his best team his. It was good to see Conor Grimes back as we need a bit of physicality in the forwards. Pity they never really got him into the game.

We really need to beet Cavan now.

MiddleofLouth (Louth) - Posts: 84 - 29/01/2018 13:32:01    2071935

Link

Howya Ollie
Bad day at the office and it will be very hard to have a good day in div 2. Hope springs eternal but I fear a long league campaign ahead.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1526 - 29/01/2018 14:30:19    2071966

Link

I got my hopes up when we started brightly and into every tackle and crisp passing.

However as seen many times with Louth , kicking with the breeze in a second half normally makes us play worse especially in Drogheda.

Craig Lynch , seriously again , how many mistakes is he allowed per game before he is finally pulled ashore and dropped.
Championship/league matches, his kick outs and distribution is very poor.

Positives from yesterday, Bevan Duffy fought like a tiger, William woods a positive, not much else from the forward line.
Maguire, Durnin, gave a decent account of themselves also.

That was a relatively poor Down team also, really hope we churn out a victory and soon, we normally are better on our travels, fingers crossed for Cavan Saturday night.

louthman57 (Louth) - Posts: 273 - 29/01/2018 14:37:09    2071971

Link

Let's keep positive. The lads are trying their very best. The pitch in Drogheda does not suit this Louth team, is an embarrassment and when will be able to look forward to a home ground and stadium that we can be proud of, inspire the Louth team that is playing on it and have our young looking forward to working hard to get out there on it. I've said it several times before and it's about standards, Gaelic Grounds Drogheda in its current state will always set a ceiling to the standard we can reach. Regarding the match, just looking at the timing of the subs, Down mgt made subs early and it did add freshness on a pitch that was very heavy. Louth mgt didn't counteract this when it was v clear, some players had not much more to offer as it is early season and pitch was heavy and Down won the advantage with their earlier switches.

Red2017 (Louth) - Posts: 112 - 29/01/2018 18:58:24    2072129

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "ah be quiet will you. sometimes as the saying goes if youve nothing good to say , say nothing at all. you sir are a typical Irish man to be honest...a moaner. could you have done better yourself? are you an ex county man?"
Not an ex county man.And typical Irish man?! Are you not Irish yourself?? I just speak the truth and say it as I see it simple Sd that,no point hiding behind the facts!!

gooch13 (Louth) - Posts: 656 - 29/01/2018 20:44:42    2072173

Link

Replying To joej:  "Howya Ollie
Bad day at the office and it will be very hard to have a good day in div 2. Hope springs eternal but I fear a long league campaign ahead."
It sure was Joe. It will be hard to get motivated for the Cavan match but wee will give it a bell. It is the only Saturday night match we have in the league this year. The last time wee were in Breffni was in 2011 for the qualifier against Meath.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 29/01/2018 22:34:10    2072209

Link