Limerick Forum

Shane Dowling Retires.

(Oldest Posts First)

So sorry to this man have to leave hurling at the age of 27. Can't believe he's still so young as it seems like he's been around for ever..

Retires after winning everything the game has to offer.

His one handed over head strike in 2014 semi finals stands out along with his amazing goal again against Kilkenny last year.
That's not even taking into account his impact off the bench against Cork in 2018 and his goal against Galway in the final.

Absolute warrior for Limerick hurling.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 657 - 02/07/2020 10:52:17    2282664

Link

I really, really rated Shane Dowling. A natural scoring forward with amazing wrists. I always wanted him on the team because he's a scoring machine. I never wanted to see him working back into our half because that's a waste of his talents . I'm really disappointed to see that he's had to retire but he has some highlight reel which includes some of the best goals scored over the past decade for both Limerick and NaP.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 712 - 02/07/2020 12:18:44    2282689

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "I really, really rated Shane Dowling. A natural scoring forward with amazing wrists. I always wanted him on the team because he's a scoring machine. I never wanted to see him working back into our half because that's a waste of his talents . I'm really disappointed to see that he's had to retire but he has some highlight reel which includes some of the best goals scored over the past decade for both Limerick and NaP."
Shane. Sorry to see you having to retire so young, but you left us some wonderful memories. You were one of the finest, and most natural forwards, ever to wear the green and white. Wishing you every success and good health in the future.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 02/07/2020 12:41:27    2282693

Link

A real pity and shame comes across as such a good character aswel, to retire at 27 he's fitted such much success to be fair to him, such a natural player, a proper baller as they say in soccer circles.

Hopefully he can keep playing at club level and most importantly he's knee issue doesn't impact too much outside of hurling or later in life.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2206 - 02/07/2020 13:23:14    2282704

Link

Dreaded this news for months. It was an absolute privilege to see Shane play from underage up. Thanks for all the superb memories Shane. Always had a chance of a goal when you were there. Inspite of the loss in the semi last year it was brilliant to be there to see one of the finest goals ever witnessed. Didn't think it would be the last time we'd see Shane in the green which is very sad to say.
The squad has definitely been weakened with the news. L

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 166 - 02/07/2020 13:28:37    2282706

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "Shane. Sorry to see you having to retire so young, but you left us some wonderful memories. You were one of the finest, and most natural forwards, ever to wear the green and white. Wishing you every success and good health in the future."
Nice Lad as well always time for a quick word never the fastest he would struggle with pace if he has a persistent injury

Best of Luck to him hope he has many years with NAP

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 531 - 02/07/2020 13:36:25    2282710

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "A real pity and shame comes across as such a good character aswel, to retire at 27 he's fitted such much success to be fair to him, such a natural player, a proper baller as they say in soccer circles.

Hopefully he can keep playing at club level and most importantly he's knee issue doesn't impact too much outside of hurling or later in life."
Also with his infectious type of personality wouldn't be surprised to see some media work down the line.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2206 - 02/07/2020 13:44:56    2282712

Link

I dont think any other player would have made the impact he did off the bench for Limerick and we wouldnt be All Ireland champions without him. He started out with a club and county who had won almost nothing in years and walked away with every medal available and was a nice person to boot

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 896 - 02/07/2020 17:23:40    2282748

Link

Sorry to learn that Shane was forced to retire through injury while still in his prime.His contribution to Limerick hurling was huge.Thank you Shane for all the occasions when you made my heart soar with your glorious scores.I wish you well in your life away from hurling.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 395 - 02/07/2020 20:40:39    2282784

Link

Nothing I could say about Shane Dowling could do him justice, a top guy and a top player, I remember being at a minor game in 2011 vs Cork he dislocated his shoulder he went into the dressing room and popped it back in and came back on and played away incredible for such a young player to do. He is definitely 1 the best strikers of a ball I have ever seen. He gave us Limerick supporters some beautiful scores to enjoy, someone mentioned the 1 hand strike vs Kilkenny in 2014 but I still think his goal vs Kilkenny last year was unreal the best goal scored from a Limerick player I have seen. He often got unfair stick from a few fair weather supporters but you don't fully appreciate someone til they are gone and I'm sure they will soon realise that now.

Best of luck Shane on your retirement hopefully we will see you involved with Limerick again in the future maybe in management or coaching in the academy and most of all thanks giving me some great memories as a Limerick GAA supporter.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 601 - 02/07/2020 22:17:10    2282804

Link

His introduction in the second half V cork in 2018 all ireland semi final changed the match hugely in Limericks favor.
Its amazing he didnt start in many of Limericks games in 2018 but hes many peoples favorite Limerick player of that year just shows the larger than life figure he was for many .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 230 - 03/07/2020 13:59:10    2282891

Link

I would like to join everyone in wishing Shane well in the future and thank him from the bottom of my heart for all the great moments and days he has given us the limerick supporters over the years.
He is indeed one of the all time greats of hurling and limerick hurling in particular and my personal favourite player. Every time Shane ran on to a ball or got it in hand there was a moment of anticipation and excitment and more times than not he certainly delivered.
Shane says that he has achieved all his dreams by winning everything he dreamed of growing up including the holy grail of an all Ireland winners medal, but now its time for Shane to make a whole lot of new dreams come true not just for himself and his family but for his club and county possibly in the role of management going forward. He is a very passionate inspirational character a great role model for up and coming players of the future. Who knows maybe another all Ireland victory as manager?
Wish you the very best in the future Shane and again thank you.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 69 - 03/07/2020 16:05:00    2282930

Link

Wrote a few words about him.

http://limerickhurling.blogspot.com/2020/07/game-changer.html?m=1

Not ashamed to say that any time I saw him getting on the ball for Limerick there was that little bit of excitement as a score was on the cards.

Gutted for him that he had to retire but health and well being have to be number 1. Good luck to the man.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6192 - 03/07/2020 22:31:44    2282970

Link

Wrote a few words about him.

Not ashamed to say that any time I saw him getting on the ball for Limerick there was that little bit of excitement as a score was on the cards.

Gutted for him that he had to retire but health and well being have to be number 1. Good luck to the man.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6192 - 03/07/2020 22:31:50    2282971

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "His introduction in the second half V cork in 2018 all ireland semi final changed the match hugely in Limericks favor.
Its amazing he didnt start in many of Limericks games in 2018 but hes many peoples favorite Limerick player of that year just shows the larger than life figure he was for many ."
Can't think of anyone else who could have pushed for an all star without even starting most games

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 896 - 04/07/2020 17:41:08    2283048

Link

Replying To slayer:  "Wrote a few words about him.

Gutted for him that he had to retire but health and well being have to be number 1. Good luck to the man."
I'm gutted too, he never once scored against Clare in open play.
Just joking lads, as a hurling man it's disappointing. He brought great entertainment, his goal v Kilkenny last year was a work of art.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 217 - 05/07/2020 02:50:56    2283091

Link