Limerick Forum

All Ireland & Christmas Shopping In Dublin

(Oldest Posts First)

id say great relief all round that the GAA will go on maybe behind doors I know a fair share of Limerick people and there is a quiet optimism that their name will be on Cup seems like unfinished business from last year.

It might be in December before AI is played but it woulden't worry me if your County name was on the Liam McCarthy for the Winter

IMO the ratings might well be

Tipperary
Limerick
Galway
Wexford

4 most likely semi final pairings of course Cork Kilkenny Clare & Dublin & Waterford could also end up in mix

If we had seen latter stages of League we would have better idea

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 531 - 15/06/2020 15:44:55    2280921

Link

Replying To clooney:  "id say great relief all round that the GAA will go on maybe behind doors I know a fair share of Limerick people and there is a quiet optimism that their name will be on Cup seems like unfinished business from last year.

It might be in December before AI is played but it woulden't worry me if your County name was on the Liam McCarthy for the Winter

IMO the ratings might well be

Tipperary
Limerick
Galway
Wexford

4 most likely semi final pairings of course Cork Kilkenny Clare & Dublin & Waterford could also end up in mix

If we had seen latter stages of League we would have better idea"
Not so sure on Wexford, I wasn't overly impressed with them early in the year and I think they will need a big improvement if they are to feature in the last 4. Kilkenny remain hard to beat in Leinster - I'd be shocked if they dont at least make the AI semi finals. Galway were not going great either but I suspect they will come good.

Munster will be the usual lottery with anyone capable of getting through. Tipp as normal have the most talented panel and will be hard to beat if they put it all together. Limerick probably next but could be caught by Clare or Cork. Derek McGrath on the paper last week saying he'd fancy Waterford in a knockout championship - I'm not so sure, think they are a bit behind. Clare had a good league but I suspect they might be lacking a bit come championship.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 403 - 15/06/2020 16:10:57    2280922

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Not so sure on Wexford, I wasn't overly impressed with them early in the year and I think they will need a big improvement if they are to feature in the last 4. Kilkenny remain hard to beat in Leinster - I'd be shocked if they dont at least make the AI semi finals. Galway were not going great either but I suspect they will come good.

Munster will be the usual lottery with anyone capable of getting through. Tipp as normal have the most talented panel and will be hard to beat if they put it all together. Limerick probably next but could be caught by Clare or Cork. Derek McGrath on the paper last week saying he'd fancy Waterford in a knockout championship - I'm not so sure, think they are a bit behind. Clare had a good league but I suspect they might be lacking a bit come championship."
To be blunt, I believe that Limerick are well ahead of everyone else including Tipp.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 712 - 18/06/2020 22:06:36    2281235

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "To be blunt, I believe that Limerick are well ahead of everyone else including Tipp."
Way ahead of Tipp, based on what? The munster final 12 months ago? Going on that basis is it fair to say Clare would've been way ahead of us if they had reached the final in 2018? Tipp dropped their worst player after the Munster final and brought Heffernan in full back who made a massive difference. They chopped and changed their team throughout the league this year and didnt show great form but it means nothing and I'd expect the result to be very close if we meet this year.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 403 - 19/06/2020 14:23:32    2281277

Link

With the latest announcement of the reopening of the country,I think it would be an awful pity if the GAA didn't move their timeline forward by one month! The club game could be done by September then. League final end of September would be much better than in October.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 166 - 19/06/2020 19:30:29    2281304

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Way ahead of Tipp, based on what? The munster final 12 months ago? Going on that basis is it fair to say Clare would've been way ahead of us if they had reached the final in 2018? Tipp dropped their worst player after the Munster final and brought Heffernan in full back who made a massive difference. They chopped and changed their team throughout the league this year and didnt show great form but it means nothing and I'd expect the result to be very close if we meet this year."
Exactly. It could be said that we were talked up also by people who should have known better before the Kilkenny game last year. The fact there is little enough between six or seven teams and we should keep that in mind.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 19/06/2020 19:34:40    2281305

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Way ahead of Tipp, based on what? The munster final 12 months ago? Going on that basis is it fair to say Clare would've been way ahead of us if they had reached the final in 2018? Tipp dropped their worst player after the Munster final and brought Heffernan in full back who made a massive difference. They chopped and changed their team throughout the league this year and didnt show great form but it means nothing and I'd expect the result to be very close if we meet this year."
Exactly. It could be said that we were talked up also by people who should have known better before the Kilkenny game last year. The fact there is little enough between six or seven teams and we should keep that in mind.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 19/06/2020 19:34:50    2281306

Link

Playing at our absolute best I think we are definitely better than the rest including Tipp but we only seem to hurl in bursts

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 896 - 20/06/2020 17:42:21    2281380

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "Playing at our absolute best I think we are definitely better than the rest including Tipp but we only seem to hurl in bursts"
That was definitely the case in 2019. Like Kiely said himself it was a year where everyone struggled for consistency. Tipp were overall the most consistent team.
When we were on fire it was really hard to stop us.
The wides against the cats were a killer but the lads battled until the end. I think for the next couple of years based on age profile we should be at our peak. But in fairness any dip in performance and we will be beaten. As said on here already, there are too many very good teams out there that will take advantage.
A knockout format I think will suit Tipp as there are less games. That I think will help older players who still have so much skill but I think could be caught due to the number of games involved in the round robin especially when everyone would be out to knock them as all Ireland champions. Due to the time of year I think more physical teams like Galway, Kilkenny and ourselves will do better.
I would have seen Cork as a serious challenger but the fact that they keep banging on about being a "summer team" doesn't set them up well. If they use the likes of Aidan Walsh and play more direct then they could be a challenger

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 166 - 20/06/2020 21:35:45    2281403

Link

For me Tipp were the best team in the country last yr we were too erratic us at our best versus anybody else thats another argument. Inter county hurling beginning in mid october doesn't make sense to me like thats 4 months away and at the beginning of the next potential flu season I see no reason why games can't start at least at start of September even at that that's 2 1/2 months away am i wrong in suggesting this? The virus seems to be suppressed and unfortunately looks like we'll have to learn how to live with it for the foreseeable future

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1084 - 21/06/2020 20:50:20    2281477

Link