Limerick Forum

Players Of Kinnerk.

(Oldest Posts First)

just curious to know what are peoples taughts regarding limericks success. Is it down to a quality bunch of players with loads of stars or is it down to the tactical ( coaching) brilliance of paul kinnerk or a mixture of both. my own opinion is paul kinnerk and i know we have a brilliant squad but this lad is something else . i also think clare would have won more if davy had given him more control i would think that davy rules the roost no matter who he is with and the rest of the backroom team have very little imput.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 845 - 31/05/2020 10:24:54    2279571

Link

Definitely think it's a mixture of both, .. I know it took time for the players to come to terms with the style of play but when you think back to our two matches in 2017 we were very robotic, hard to watch in fact, especially against Clare..

Having a system is all well and good but you have to have players that can adapt and utilise their strengths in playing that system.
Good example is Cian Lynch being given licence to roam around the middle of the field, its testimony to his off the cuff genius, something which can't be coached, but can be channelled.
Kielys trust in the players is a huge factor also.

Read a very good article by Darach Honan last year where he implied that Limerick were becoming the team that Clare might have been if it wasn't for the restrictive tactics Davy had implemented.. In essence he was pointing out that Kiely was giving freedom to the Limerick players that the Clare lads never enjoyed under Fitzgerald.

So I suppose we can say that we're blessed to have a top manager, intuitive and creative coach and thank God, some brilliant hurlers.
Wonderful combination.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 657 - 31/05/2020 19:02:10    2279607

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Definitely think it's a mixture of both, .. I know it took time for the players to come to terms with the style of play but when you think back to our two matches in 2017 we were very robotic, hard to watch in fact, especially against Clare..

Having a system is all well and good but you have to have players that can adapt and utilise their strengths in playing that system.
Good example is Cian Lynch being given licence to roam around the middle of the field, its testimony to his off the cuff genius, something which can't be coached, but can be channelled.
Kielys trust in the players is a huge factor also.

Read a very good article by Darach Honan last year where he implied that Limerick were becoming the team that Clare might have been if it wasn't for the restrictive tactics Davy had implemented.. In essence he was pointing out that Kiely was giving freedom to the Limerick players that the Clare lads never enjoyed under Fitzgerald.

So I suppose we can say that we're blessed to have a top manager, intuitive and creative coach and thank God, some brilliant hurlers.
Wonderful combination."
I agree definitely a mixture.
There was serious success before the pinnacle was achieved in 2018.
Kilmallock getting to the all Ireland club final, na piarsaigh getting to the final and winning, Different Limerick colleges
winning the Fitzgibbon cup on a consistent basis for a period of time. On top of that, a core group of players won Munster titles at minor level, they may not have won the top prize at that level but got plenty exposure to croke Park. This no doubt helped the same group to win 2 under 21 titles.
Like John Kiely stated a couple of weeks ago, all these ingredients are vital to be in place so we can keep knocking on the door in croke Park.
In addition to having a fantastic dedicated bunch of players, along with Kiely and Kinnerk all the teachers, underage coaches and structures are every bit as important.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 166 - 04/06/2020 22:55:38    2279915

Link

Replying To Mads:  "I agree definitely a mixture.
There was serious success before the pinnacle was achieved in 2018.
Kilmallock getting to the all Ireland club final, na piarsaigh getting to the final and winning, Different Limerick colleges
winning the Fitzgibbon cup on a consistent basis for a period of time. On top of that, a core group of players won Munster titles at minor level, they may not have won the top prize at that level but got plenty exposure to croke Park. This no doubt helped the same group to win 2 under 21 titles.
Like John Kiely stated a couple of weeks ago, all these ingredients are vital to be in place so we can keep knocking on the door in croke Park.
In addition to having a fantastic dedicated bunch of players, along with Kiely and Kinnerk all the teachers, underage coaches and structures are every bit as important."
Any word on Shane Dowling's Rehab?

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 07/06/2020 20:23:13    2280079

Link