Limerick Forum

Best Limerick Teams In A Lifetime

(Oldest Posts First)

Nothing else to do so why not enjoy a little nonsense. Born in 1950.
Hurling
Joe Quaid

Paudie Fitzmaurice
Pat Hartigan
Leonard Enright

Liam O'Donoghue
Ciarain Carey
Tom Mcgarry

Cian Lynch
Mick Houlihan

Gearoid Hegarty
Gary Kirby
Tom Morrissey

Grame Mulcahy
Joe McKenna
Eamon Cregan

Subs Tommy Quaid, Shane Dowling, Sean Finn, Pat Hartnett, PJ Keane and Declian Hannon.

Football

Donal O'Sullivan
Tommy Stack, Stephen Lucey, Mark O'Riordan
Tony Fitzgerald, Tom Browne Bernie Hartigan
John Galvin John Quane
Stephen Kelly, Pat Murphy, Seanie Buckley
Eamon Cregan Mick Tynan, Anthony Moran.
Subs Seamus O'Donnell, Johnny Mullane, Tommy Carrig, Donal Fitzgibbon and Tommy Childs.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 09/04/2020 19:14:09    2275638

Link

Very interesting selections and well thought out. Two initial vies are Id have to have Shane Dowling ahead of both Gearoid Hegarty And Tom Morrissey.
Danny Fitzgerald of Claughauns performance against Kerry In an early 90s Munster final deserves selection and even Sean Kelly of NCW the same day and Timmy Cummins of Galbaly/Parnells should be in the shakeup as well.

hurler32 (Limerick) - Posts: 839 - 10/04/2020 10:47:38    2275679

Link

Replying To hurler32:  "Very interesting selections and well thought out. Two initial vies are Id have to have Shane Dowling ahead of both Gearoid Hegarty And Tom Morrissey.
Danny Fitzgerald of Claughauns performance against Kerry In an early 90s Munster final deserves selection and even Sean Kelly of NCW the same day and Timmy Cummins of Galbaly/Parnells should be in the shakeup as well."
Yes. Points taken and well made. Of course Ian Ryan was another glaring admission in any one of the full forward positions also, in football.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 10/04/2020 16:32:18    2275714

Link

2 very good teams in both codes.

Tom McGarry could have made both teams. A tremendous player.

I think (in my own opinion) nicky quaid has now passed out both tommy & Joe Quaid for me as our best keeper. Nicky himself would talk this down as his very modest but for me he has proved his a top quality keeper. I think nicky is rated higher outside of the county than inside sometimes. Many gaa people I have met from outside the county always speak highly of him.

Donal o Sullivan is a top quality keeper. It's a pity he wasn't around 15 years ago when our football team were in there prime. I would rate him in the 8 keepers in the country.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 10/04/2020 18:59:11    2275728

Link

Very interesting selections Oldtourman,I was born in 1944 and my memory would not be that good on players and every now and again over the years I threw out my programmes...would be great for an exercise like this.Nice to see a few players that came to my mind were included...Tom McGarry and Mick Tynan and Pat Murphy....think all three were regular on Railway cup teams and it mattered a bit back then.Think my right corner back on the hurlers would be the man that retired Nicky English!What a great pairing in midfield on the football team and they did play a bit together there if my mind serves me right.That midfield pairing would more than hold their own with any midfield pairing from any County or Counties.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 395 - 10/04/2020 22:46:31    2275741

Link

PS.nice to see the great Eamon Cregan making both your teams!

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 395 - 10/04/2020 22:49:30    2275742

Link

Thank you for starting this topic. Like you say why not.
Didn't get to see a lot of the lad for various reasons with the seniors but enough to know the lad had talent to burn. Andrew O' Shaughnessy has to be at least on the subs for me. The overall selections still look decent.
I'm a slightly bit of a younger vintage so deprived of seeing the likes of Cregan, Hartigan and Enright. Special special players by all accounts.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 166 - 11/04/2020 23:28:28    2275790

Link

Replying To brud:  "2 very good teams in both codes.

Tom McGarry could have made both teams. A tremendous player.

I think (in my own opinion) nicky quaid has now passed out both tommy & Joe Quaid for me as our best keeper. Nicky himself would talk this down as his very modest but for me he has proved his a top quality keeper. I think nicky is rated higher outside of the county than inside sometimes. Many gaa people I have met from outside the county always speak highly of him.

Donal o Sullivan is a top quality keeper. It's a pity he wasn't around 15 years ago when our football team were in there prime. I would rate him in the 8 keepers in the country."
I think the way the game has gone certainly suits Nicky,
he is solid when tidying up loose ball on the line and superb at providing the necessary platform for restarts. Mixes up the short with the long excellently. To top it all he has a very cool head. These are all requirements of the modern keeper and he is well up there in all those aspects. The one thing however for me is he is not the best shot stopper. Eoin murphy, and Stephen O' Keeffe are arguably the best in the game at that. I actually think Barry Hennessy is better at that aspect however Quaid is a way more all round keeper, the game demands way more than just blocking and hoofing it up the field now.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 166 - 11/04/2020 23:37:09    2275791

Link

Without derailing the thread, whatever happened to Ian Ryan? He was Patrick McBrearty-esque when he broke through as a young lad, and I would have rated him as one of the best score-takers outside the top teams. Haven't heard of him in a while.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 497 - 12/04/2020 00:14:38    2275796

Link

Replying To beano:  "Without derailing the thread, whatever happened to Ian Ryan? He was Patrick McBrearty-esque when he broke through as a young lad, and I would have rated him as one of the best score-takers outside the top teams. Haven't heard of him in a while."
Thanks Beano. I have already admitted that he was a glaring omission. His career was cut short by recurring injuries, though he still plays at club level.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 12/04/2020 12:11:43    2275806

Link

Joe Quaid

Stephen McDonogh
Pat Hartigan
Leonard Enright

Mark Foley
Ciaran Carey
Tom McGarry

Jimmy Carroll
Cian Lynch

Ollie Moran
Gary Kirby
Ritchie Bennis

Aaron Gillane
Joe McKenna
Eamon Cregan

Subs ( Just one for very line)

Tommy Quaid
Damien Reale
Liam O'Donoghue
Declan Hannon
Dermot Kelly
Graeme Mulcahy

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 712 - 12/04/2020 18:50:09    2275832

Link

Great team Dealer,was privileged to have seen all those wonderful players in action.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 395 - 12/04/2020 21:32:46    2275844

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Joe Quaid

Stephen McDonogh
Pat Hartigan
Leonard Enright

Mark Foley
Ciaran Carey
Tom McGarry

Jimmy Carroll
Cian Lynch

Ollie Moran
Gary Kirby
Ritchie Bennis

Aaron Gillane
Joe McKenna
Eamon Cregan

Subs ( Just one for very line)

Tommy Quaid
Damien Reale
Liam O'Donoghue
Declan Hannon
Dermot Kelly
Graeme Mulcahy"
Great team too, Dealer. Saw them all, except Dermot Kelly. There were so many great players over the years. Men like Sean Foley John McDonagh, John Bresnihan, Ned Rea, Tom Bluett, Eamon Grimes, Tony O'Brien, Mickey Graham. and several others.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 13/04/2020 09:27:16    2275862

Link

I'm relying on my memory from 1980 onward and working off my father's for the 1950's to the 1970's. I had to leave off some fantastic players. I don't know enough about players like Mike Tynan and the Mackeys Greyhounds teams to be able to give them justice.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 712 - 13/04/2020 14:45:52    2275893

Link

Great idea. I was born in 73 and while I remember the team of 80/81 I am not including Pat Hartigan Richie Bennis Leanord Enright or Eamon Cretan who would all be in contention I'm sure for the greatest Limerick team of all time,
Joe Quaid

Steve Mcdonagh
Mike Casey
Richie English
Mark Foley
Ciara'n Carey
Davy Clarke
Ger hegarty
Paul Browne
Ollie Moran
Gary Kirby
Paddy Kelly
Mike Galligan
Joe McKenna
Damien Quigly

Football
Scollard
Paddy Barret
Johny Mcarthy
Mark Riordan
Damien Reid's
Stephen Lucy
Stephen Lavin
John Quane
John Galvin
Donal Fitzgibbon
James Ryan
Muiris Gavin
Timmy Cummins
Ian Ryan
Fontana Ryan

Limdreamer (Limerick) - Posts: 81 - 16/04/2020 22:14:15    2276134

Link

Replying To Limdreamer:  "Great idea. I was born in 73 and while I remember the team of 80/81 I am not including Pat Hartigan Richie Bennis Leanord Enright or Eamon Cretan who would all be in contention I'm sure for the greatest Limerick team of all time,
Joe Quaid

Steve Mcdonagh
Mike Casey
Richie English
Mark Foley
Ciara'n Carey
Davy Clarke
Ger hegarty
Paul Browne
Ollie Moran
Gary Kirby
Paddy Kelly
Mike Galligan
Joe McKenna
Damien Quigly

Football
Scollard
Paddy Barret
Johny Mcarthy
Mark Riordan
Damien Reid's
Stephen Lucy
Stephen Lavin
John Quane
John Galvin
Donal Fitzgibbon
James Ryan
Muiris Gavin
Timmy Cummins
Ian Ryan
Fontana Ryan"
Fine Teams too and well thought out.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 133 - 17/04/2020 11:28:24    2276153

Link

I was reading that piece about Liam Dunne and his version of the strike on Kirby I think the video footage is pretty clear.
I was speaking to One of the Guiny brothers who pretty much admitted that the plan was to get into Kirby early and do him and sort of said that the reason that Barry Foley hit 4 points early was that he was trying to get a hit on Kirby he was also surprised Foley was taken off

Limdreamer (Limerick) - Posts: 81 - 18/04/2020 12:57:25    2276211

Link

I was reading that piece about Liam Dunne and his version of the strike on Kirby I think the video footage is pretty clear.
I was speaking to One of the Guiny brothers who pretty much admitted that the plan was to get into Kirby early and do him and sort of said that the reason that Barry Foley hit 4 points early was that he was trying to get a hit on Kirby he was also surprised Foley was taken off

Limdreamer (Limerick) - Posts: 81 - 18/04/2020 12:57:25    2276212

Link

How has there been no mention of the great Donie Ryan yet

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 896 - 25/05/2020 22:15:10    2279191

Link

A great thread.

I wouldn't be qualified to pick a best XV but I think the team of 1980/1981 was the best Limerick team of all time. An exceptional Galway team stopped us both years. I know it is strange to say that when the team of 80/81 didn't go all the way. But the off the cuff hurling was great to watch and if you look at any championship game from those years, when the centre back or midfielders got the ball they looked for Joe McKenna and this led to lots of scores and breaking ball (broken hurleys too).

I think the difference in 2018 was a better quality panel, a different championship structure and quality in all aspects - Management, coaching, county board decisions, backroom team (eg statistics). There was also massive belief in the 2018 panel.

In terms of players I put Cregan up as the best I've seen. One of the bravest players but with a great hurling brain. He was a superb hurler.

Reading this thread has brought back some great memories but I've spent a lot of lockdown watching Limerick games on YouTube (thank you Henry Martin!!).

Earliest childhood memories are of going to Limerick games and looking back at those games now and thinking of the characters who we travelled with, many no longer with us, thank Christ I was born a Limerick man as quite simply there is nothing like following Limerick!!

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6192 - 03/07/2020 22:27:45    2282969

Link