Leitrim Forum

NFL Division 3

(Oldest Posts First)

It's officially 2020 now which means we can look forward to the Callander year ahead. Its going to be a tough league no question about it. Staying in it would be an incredible achievement. I'd go as far as to say the toughest div 3 in years. The first 2 games are a write off if you ask me. Longford realistically is where our league starts that is a must win game I feel.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 01/01/2020 16:05:19    2256747

Link

How many points realistically to be safe...4/5?

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 02/01/2020 08:29:45    2256792

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "How many points realistically to be safe...4/5?"
7 will keep us safe. 4/5 and we will back in division 4

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 02/01/2020 11:38:44    2256832

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "7 will keep us safe. 4/5 and we will back in division 4"
7 is a tough ask in that group I fear. Sounds very high. Offaly got 5pts last year in the division and were safe due to head to head. Carlow went down on the same number of points

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 02/01/2020 13:30:45    2256872

Link

The fixtures certainly have not fallen kindly for us. I cannot see us earning anymore than 3-4 points (which we will be doing well to achieve) which will not be enough to keep us in Division 3. The past two years you needed 5 points to stay in the division and i just can't see where the 5 points have come from.

As we all know and as we used to our advantage in the league last year momentum is huge. We could be on the floor after the opening two fixtures and then in round 3 face a trip to Pearse Park in what people may see (not me!!) as one of the more easier games in the division. Pearse Park will not be any easier than travelling to Derry or Newry that is for sure.

As you can probably gather from the above i am not very optimistic about our chances of survival. We will undoubtedly the team in Div 3 all the others will be expecting to beat.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 02/01/2020 13:38:49    2256877

Link

Replying To juande_ramos:  "The fixtures certainly have not fallen kindly for us. I cannot see us earning anymore than 3-4 points (which we will be doing well to achieve) which will not be enough to keep us in Division 3. The past two years you needed 5 points to stay in the division and i just can't see where the 5 points have come from.

As we all know and as we used to our advantage in the league last year momentum is huge. We could be on the floor after the opening two fixtures and then in round 3 face a trip to Pearse Park in what people may see (not me!!) as one of the more easier games in the division. Pearse Park will not be any easier than travelling to Derry or Newry that is for sure.

As you can probably gather from the above i am not very optimistic about our chances of survival. We will undoubtedly the team in Div 3 all the others will be expecting to beat."
Oh I detest the negativity emanating from the support base. It is very tiring to put it mildly. Why can we not win in cork?? Why not win in Newry. Have you all lost the faith that quickly? I can't understand it. I would not be surprised if we were promoted. Our manager has a track record of getting teams promoted on a shoestring budget. He has got the financial clout in the market as other managers but he has the tactical nous and wherewithal to get us up I am sure. Keep the faith. Division 2 here we come and another trip to croker!!

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 02/01/2020 15:47:01    2256918

Link

I think that we have to be both optimistic and realistic in equal measure in terms of our staying in division 3 this year. Its a very tough ask against very good teams like Cork Down etc but we ground out wins when needed last year and had respectable performances against Derry twice and gained our long awaited promotion out from Division 4 after many years of waiting. With a lot of serious hard work and no small amount of luck we may do enough to remain in Division 3 and the experience and cuteness that the lads will gain from playing at that level will stand us in great stead.

Ridgebackers (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 02/01/2020 18:58:40    2256960

Link

I was extremely positive regarding our chances of promotion last year given how the fixtures fell for us and said so on this forum before a ball was kicked so i am purely looking at things how i see them and with a bit of realism. Div 3 is obviously a big step up and the opposition will be of a much higher quality to the likes of Waterford, London, Wicklow, etc.

I am sure the goal from the outset will simply be survival in Div 3 and jeez if we can do that it would be a fantastic achievement and another huge step in the right direction.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 03/01/2020 12:51:00    2257076

Link

Replying To juande_ramos:  "I was extremely positive regarding our chances of promotion last year given how the fixtures fell for us and said so on this forum before a ball was kicked so i am purely looking at things how i see them and with a bit of realism. Div 3 is obviously a big step up and the opposition will be of a much higher quality to the likes of Waterford, London, Wicklow, etc.

I am sure the goal from the outset will simply be survival in Div 3 and jeez if we can do that it would be a fantastic achievement and another huge step in the right direction."
Isn't it

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 03/01/2020 14:09:22    2257093

Link

Surly we have a challenge this weekend before the FBD semi next weekend?

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 03/01/2020 20:11:11    2257178

Link

Longford Offaly and Louth have to be targeted as winnable games. 6 points might not be enough to stay up but it gives us a great chance. Derry and Down like all Ulster teams will be hard beat. But Kilcoo are in the club semi finals so Down will be without their services and Young Mooney will be a massive loss. Derry have been the most unpredictable team in Ireland in the last decade. God knows how they will perform this year under Rory Gallagher,but I believe they will be hard beat up in Derry. Onto the 2 Munster teams. Cork in my eyes will be promoted. They have the talent in their inside forward line this year to destroy most teams in Division 3. Tipperary are a team supposed to be on the rebound but Michael Quilivan travelling for the year is a massive blow to their chances of promotion. Looking forward to cheering on the lads playing their gameplan and hopefully the county will get behind them again this spring. This is our championship. Leitrim abú.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 22 - 03/01/2020 22:26:57    2257207

Link