Leitrim Forum

Lack Of Ambition.

(Oldest Posts First)

I find it depressing that our co board constantly select managers from the old boys club. Nothing against Benny but was hardly a success with the seniors and did nothing of note before or since as a coach/manager and yet is bestowed with county under 17s. Why do we keep making the same mistakes?

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 19/11/2019 23:26:52    2250426

Link

Replying To po3nmotion:  "I find it depressing that our co board constantly select managers from the old boys club. Nothing against Benny but was hardly a success with the seniors and did nothing of note before or since as a coach/manager and yet is bestowed with county under 17s. Why do we keep making the same mistakes?"
You have a short memory of that brilliant win over Louth in the qualifiers and putting up a decent show against Monaghan in his last 2 games. Compare that with getting hammered by Clare in the qualifiers last year.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 20/11/2019 13:22:38    2250504

Link

Excellent appointment and backroom team.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 20/11/2019 14:10:44    2250512

Link

What a really weird opening post. Its probably the best appointment Leitrim have made in god knows how long with planning aimed at the future.
The u17s are the lads of the future for your county and getting a highly experienced manager like Guicken to take the Job is excellent work by Leitrim county board. Who were you wanting Jim McGuniess? There are not to many managers with Senior intercounty experience willing or wanting to do U17 county level when having managed at the top level it would be a lot easier for him to do the rounds on the club scene picking up an easy few bob.
Decent team with him aslo, plenty of young lads that having played at the top level.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 370 - 20/11/2019 14:48:18    2250522

Link

Jesus understand the Rossie excited for about the appointment, but where is the track record of success, beat a Louth team who hadnt won all year and that was very dependent on a sending off early in the game in scorching heat. Monaghan rested players, result was never in doubt. Couldnt make any offer at getting out of div 4. He has no record with county or club teams. Like last time he has brought impressive pedigree of players in backroom but again nothing to suggest there is anything there that can improve the under 17s.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 20/11/2019 20:37:50    2250579

Link

I think emyln mulligan is a highly positive part of the U17s. He talks a great game In regard preparation towards the game if he Can in still that into this group we will be moving in the right direction. I do worry that it's the same names coaching our underage teams with very little results over the years.

The likes of Micheal Mc guninness, John Mckeown, James Glancy, Barry McWeeney need to be asked to be involved along with emyln mulligan this would be a management team that U17s would look Upto

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 21/11/2019 00:15:40    2250604

Link

Mulligan appointed as a selector is an interesting one. Must mean after walking away from the panel last year he won't be part of the senior team plans

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 21/11/2019 09:41:07    2250616

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "Mulligan appointed as a selector is an interesting one. Must mean after walking away from the panel last year he won't be part of the senior team plans"
Walked away from the senior panel the last 3 years before it finished it. Bluffer

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 21/11/2019 13:16:45    2250671

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Walked away from the senior panel the last 3 years before it finished it. Bluffer"
Great story in this week's local paper about his walking away. Terry takes no nonsense it's quite clear

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 23/11/2019 20:22:02    2251025

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I think emyln mulligan is a highly positive part of the U17s. He talks a great game In regard preparation towards the game if he Can in still that into this group we will be moving in the right direction. I do worry that it's the same names coaching our underage teams with very little results over the years.

The likes of Micheal Mc guninness, John Mckeown, James Glancy, Barry McWeeney need to be asked to be involved along with emyln mulligan this would be a management team that U17s would look Upto"
You might want to see the article with him quoted in this week's paper and see do you still think that.

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 23/11/2019 20:47:37    2251029

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "Great story in this week's local paper about his walking away. Terry takes no nonsense it's quite clear"
If Terry can keep us in division 3 it will be an awesome achievement. With the changes to the championship structure the league is definitely our championship for the near future.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 24/11/2019 09:34:07    2251073

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "If Terry can keep us in division 3 it will be an awesome achievement. With the changes to the championship structure the league is definitely our championship for the near future."
It's a pity Terry wasn't in charge of u20s last year also. A bit of managerial experience against Roscommon and we would have beaten them out the gate.

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 24/11/2019 10:51:11    2251081

Link

I think Stooker your knowledge of football is great. I think Terry Highland, should consider taking you on board. Get rid of the the other two selectors, as there would be no need for them, with you on board. You could even shoe Terry a few moves on your surf board. This post is as sensible, as the ones that are been posted here.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 24/11/2019 12:07:57    2251089

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "I think Stooker your knowledge of football is great. I think Terry Highland, should consider taking you on board. Get rid of the the other two selectors, as there would be no need for them, with you on board. You could even shoe Terry a few moves on your surf board. This post is as sensible, as the ones that are been posted here."
Well it's tough to be as insightful in footballing matters as you I suppose but I try. I think Terry has the right team on board, however Benny does not in my opinion. No idea what the surf board thing is about if you could explain it. Thank you!

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 24/11/2019 12:36:43    2251093

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "Well it's tough to be as insightful in footballing matters as you I suppose but I try. I think Terry has the right team on board, however Benny does not in my opinion. No idea what the surf board thing is about if you could explain it. Thank you!"
Your knowledge of surfing is probably as good as your knowledge of football. In relation to the management of the under 17 County footballers, I think they should be supported, not ridiculed as your post would suggest. In relation to Terry Highland, he got Leitrim promoted, which was a great achievement. Now we have posts expecting Leitrim to stay in Division three, which I hope they do. But then again if they are relegated, Terry will probably be abused on this site, like previous management. What we have to realise is Leitrim is a County with a small population, and a small budget, in football terms. I would wish the Leitrim Senior management and coaches all the best in the coming season, as I would the management and coaches, of the under 20s and under 17 teams the same. If we are negative, how can we instil confidence, going forward. I would hope the supporters posting here would surely write more positively, and give these men and women, who are involved in preparing teams for the future of Leitrim football.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 24/11/2019 22:06:37    2251200

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "Your knowledge of surfing is probably as good as your knowledge of football. In relation to the management of the under 17 County footballers, I think they should be supported, not ridiculed as your post would suggest. In relation to Terry Highland, he got Leitrim promoted, which was a great achievement. Now we have posts expecting Leitrim to stay in Division three, which I hope they do. But then again if they are relegated, Terry will probably be abused on this site, like previous management. What we have to realise is Leitrim is a County with a small population, and a small budget, in football terms. I would wish the Leitrim Senior management and coaches all the best in the coming season, as I would the management and coaches, of the under 20s and under 17 teams the same. If we are negative, how can we instil confidence, going forward. I would hope the supporters posting here would surely write more positively, and give these men and women, who are involved in preparing teams for the future of Leitrim football."
Still don't understand your surfing reference. I think Terry has done a great job so far, with the exception of changing up a winning team mid way through the league last year after which their form dropped. He won't make that mistake this year it's quite clear. He'll also bring huge experience to the U20 role which we haven't had for a few years. Benny is a great appointment too.

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 26/11/2019 08:27:52    2251473

Link