Leitrim Forum

Club Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Villatown:  "Not picking on Aughasheelin but if the retain there senior status after finishing group stage with no pts adding in the fact they've not played there last fixture then it'll be a disgrace. Can't understand why we've play offs at all just relegate two teams at bottom of group and then play off between the second bottom to decide last relegation place. I reckon we'll be waving goodbye to Aughasheelin and Dromahair plus Fenagh."
I think you are picking on the poor neds. Wouldn't blame them, soh are county champions so why play a meaningless match with a junior team? They will be relegated anyways. Will be interesting 2 see how you play against d champs next weekend

benchwarmer (Leitrim) - Posts: 29 - 09/09/2019 10:44:54    2233774

Link

Replying To benchwarmer:  "I think you are picking on the poor neds. Wouldn't blame them, soh are county champions so why play a meaningless match with a junior team? They will be relegated anyways. Will be interesting 2 see how you play against d champs next weekend"
Oh stop it..........no need for that kind of mud slinging at ether

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 09/09/2019 10:48:58    2233775

Link

Senior Q/F
Glencar Manor VS Allen Gaels
Manor will have far to much for the Gaels Manors full forward line is deadly. Coyle in midfield with Paddy Maguire are good also. Duffy and Moore are Gaels main men. Manor to win 7+
St Marys VS Melvin Gaels
Having seen both these teams already it'll be interesting to see how it turns out Diffley and Lowe VS Rooney and Mulligan hard to pick a winner as Melvin has improved as group stage as went on I'll give a vote to St Marys 3pts+
Ballinamore VS Drumreilly
Ballinamore have been rampant through the group stages and will start as red hot favourites which is understandable have some class player's but it'll be interesting how the handle the tag of been favourites questions have been asked before and they've failed to answer them. As for Drumreilly we've some good forwards in Gaffney, Ray Fee and Holohan brothers also keep a eye on the link up between Declan Maxwell and Dylan Maguire goals have come from Maxwell quickly offloading to Maguire. Ballinamore will win but it'll be tight (He hopes) Ballinamore by 3ptsome
Aughawillian VS Mohill
Tie of the round very hard to call Aughawllian desire Vs Mohill squad depth couldn't call this one

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 884 - 09/09/2019 11:55:04    2233799

Link

Intermediate Q/F
Annaduff VS Bornacoola
Can only see this going the way of Annaduff far better allround team then the Bors it'll need a strong ref as well. Duff by 10+pts
Leitrim Gaels VS Kiltubrid
Another one side game I reckon Kiltubrid have a few decent players but have only saw them against Eslin so hard to judge Stephen McLoughlin, Emmett Mahon and Keelan McKeon are big players for them but Gaels are better team Moretons and Flynns are big players for them. Gaels to win 7+pts
Eslin VS Drumkeerin
Would love Eslin to go all the way it'll be a shootout between Conor Beirne and Cathal McCauley Drumkeeerin sit numbers behind the ball and it can be ugly to watch. Not a massive fan of there players or fans if I'm honest. Eslin to get the goals to win. Eslin by 5pts
Ballinagerla VS Carrigallen
Ballinagerla start as favourites Carrigallen look to Eoin Ward for a lot of their scores and if he's kept quiet then Carrigallen have no hope. Ballinagerla to win 5+pts

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 884 - 09/09/2019 12:18:46    2233811

Link

Replying To Villatown:  "Intermediate Q/F
Annaduff VS Bornacoola
Can only see this going the way of Annaduff far better allround team then the Bors it'll need a strong ref as well. Duff by 10+pts
Leitrim Gaels VS Kiltubrid
Another one side game I reckon Kiltubrid have a few decent players but have only saw them against Eslin so hard to judge Stephen McLoughlin, Emmett Mahon and Keelan McKeon are big players for them but Gaels are better team Moretons and Flynns are big players for them. Gaels to win 7+pts
Eslin VS Drumkeerin
Would love Eslin to go all the way it'll be a shootout between Conor Beirne and Cathal McCauley Drumkeeerin sit numbers behind the ball and it can be ugly to watch. Not a massive fan of there players or fans if I'm honest. Eslin to get the goals to win. Eslin by 5pts
Ballinagerla VS Carrigallen
Ballinagerla start as favourites Carrigallen look to Eoin Ward for a lot of their scores and if he's kept quiet then Carrigallen have no hope. Ballinagerla to win 5+pts"
I feel it in my fingers, I felt it in my toes Packie

bringbackthecorncrakewouldu (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 10/09/2019 13:12:27    2234112

Link

Some absolute hum dingers of games this weekend.

The big one is Mohill -V- Aughawillan: In my eyes this is by far the biggest game in Leitrim football at present. Both teams are still far ahead of either Manor and Ballinamore even though they have both been impressive so far this year.

There's so many subplots to this game it's hard to put into context. I have a feeling that both teams would have wished for this game later on when you consider the injuries/America that both teams have been coping with.

In Mark, Gary and Noel Plunkett, Pearce Dolan, Fergal McTague and Sean Flanagan Aughawillan probably have the largest contingent of county players on any one team outside of Mohill and when you consider the population of that parish it is an incredible achievement.

Mohill themselves have Shane Quinn, Oisin Madden, Keith Beirne, James Mitchell and a host of young players who will play for Leitrim in the next year or 2 along with Kennedy and Gallagher who were great servants.

To me Mohill have reacted to the final defeat to the Willies last year. Gary Plunkett gave their defence the mother and father of all roastings so it looks as if they have stationed Oisin Madden at No.6 purposely to face the challenge of marking Plunkett when it comes to it. Madden will have the speed to match him and will try and put G.Plunkett on the back foot by attacking but as far as I can see once his confidence is up he is probably the most difficult player in Leitrim to mark as he can kick off both feet and has the power/pace to break through tackles.

Do Aughawillan have the defenders to mark all of Mohill's deadly attackers? Fergal McTague didn't give 'Chick' a kick of the ball in the county final but can he do it again? Will 'Chick' be fit after being in the States all summer? Same goes for Mitchell and Keith Beirne. Who marks Keith Beirne and Jordan Reynolds if he is fit to play? Alan McLoughlin was the one player who really stood up for Mohill last year in the final but he will only be coming on as a sub as he has just returned from a torn ACL. A player who caused Aughawillan lots of hassle was Domhnail Flynn - will they switch McTague onto him? Is this robbing Peter to pay Paul? Or do they really throw a curve ball and put Mark Plunkett onto him?

Midfield will be very interesting. Mark Plunkett and Pearce Dolan are the key players for Aughawillan who make them tick. Stopping them is the hard part. Shane Quinn has the ability to try and run them around the field but it's hard to get the better of the two of them.

Do Mohills young core of the Harkins, Liam Rowley etc have the bottle to match Aughawillan? Do Aughawillans older guard such as the Priors and Michael, Sean Quinn still have it in their legs to match these young lads who won't care about their reputations?

3 or 4 years ago in Ballinamore these 2 teams played, in my eyes what was the best game in Leitrim in 20 years in a quarter final - with Aughawillan winning by a point. I think it's going to be that close again. It might come down to something like can Aughawillan get all their players fit? From what I hear there are 2 or 3 of their main men under pressure to play next weekend and we know they don't have the same depth as Mohill.

Anyone stupid enough to write them off though?? I'd say there'll be a massive crowd

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 10/09/2019 13:16:44    2234114

Link

Mohill will be out for revenge after we crashed the party last year. Things arent going well for them this year and have failed when they came up against good opposition so easy pickings for me.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 11/09/2019 15:01:03    2234457

Link

The relegation battle should be heating up nicely on the pot now. Who will survive in seniority status for the next year in what should be an grate year from each Leitrim football in this regard

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 12/09/2019 10:06:54    2234659

Link

Replying To bringbackthecorncrakewouldu:  "Oh onthebank I really like your posts. They are so insightful for all and sundry and it is amazing how you have not been appoited as coach of any team heretofore within in yershelf. As for Aughawillian throwing curve balls etc I think they will have something up their proverbial trousers"
Yes because having an opinion makes you a good coach.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 12/09/2019 16:20:28    2234799

Link

Is it an open draw after the quarters on Sunday? I see Paddy Power have Glencar as favourites at 7/4 - I'd be laying the ***** out of that if there was a market LOL.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 12/09/2019 16:38:23    2234809

Link

Great weekend of football ahead. Hope Eslin have the right spirit to get through the thing

Halfdinnerandraspberrycheesecake (Leitrim) - Posts: 25 - 14/09/2019 11:10:19    2235166

Link

Hammering a mediocre Drumreilly will do Ballinamore no good when they meet Mohill. Sad thing is Drumreilly will be senior again next year, when they're obviously not good enough to be there.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 15/09/2019 21:25:27    2235810

Link

Replying To TaytoFoley:  "Hammering a mediocre Drumreilly will do Ballinamore no good when they meet Mohill. Sad thing is Drumreilly will be senior again next year, when they're obviously not good enough to be there."
In D2 league final, beat one of the now semi finalists in the championship, handily beat a relegation candidate in gortlettragh and put up 3-12 against a mohill side last week. At the end of the day staying at senior status is Drumreillys goal and with the population and players available to expect anything higher would be stupid. Certainly a lot worse clubs in senior this year , Aughnasheelin (when they actually showed up), Dromahair and gortlettragh all worse and have been bottom tier this year , Fenagh, Drumreilly and Allen gaels in a sort of mid tier this year with the remaining 6 being the upper tier. Will be a challenge for Drumreilly to stay up next year with the smaller championship but they certainly deserve to be there.

Highandmighty (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 16/09/2019 00:06:01    2235883

Link

there's a lot of talk around carrick yesterday that its SOH's to lose but mohil & manor in particular are going good and have that experience of county finals/semi finals and preparation for county finals, in my humble opinion I'd be saying Mohill v manor final. I can definitely see SOH winning one in the next year or 2 though.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 16/09/2019 10:43:18    2235974

Link

Ballinamore where made to look better then the where yesterday unfortunately nothing went right for us on the day. We deserve to be a senior club no doubt about it people have short memories last year we should have beaten the same Ballinamore team with 13players. While we have a few older heads we've a good few young guns aswell. We have a Division 2 title to play for and we look to end the year on a high. Mohill will beat Ballinamore in the semi.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 884 - 16/09/2019 14:15:32    2236104

Link

Replying To Villatown:  "Ballinamore where made to look better then the where yesterday unfortunately nothing went right for us on the day. We deserve to be a senior club no doubt about it people have short memories last year we should have beaten the same Ballinamore team with 13players. While we have a few older heads we've a good few young guns aswell. We have a Division 2 title to play for and we look to end the year on a high. Mohill will beat Ballinamore in the semi."
I agree with you, drumreilly deserve to be in the senior championship. they had some great results in fairness. the ballinamore game could have been worse for them had McKeon got the line for his challenge on McCaffrey, that said. they do deserve their senior status,

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 17/09/2019 09:42:08    2236503

Link

Cannot believe Gortletteragh are in the dire straits that they find themselves. A once great club on the brink of relegation to the intermediate status- wondering is their decision to dispense of head coach Higgins is backfiring badly??

I feel that they need a root and branch examination to see what exactly is going on in the structures of the club- something is seriously amiss there as they have the potential to be one of the greatest clubs in the force

filldatogsonthebigday (Roscommon) - Posts: 7 - 17/09/2019 11:29:17    2236548

Link

Some great semi final battles ahead on the Saturday you have north leitrim day and Sunday you have south leitrim day. No doubt big crowds will be at both.
Predictions
Manor I think will beat Melvin gaels by around 6-7 points. Yes gaels have bet manor twice this year but I think manor targeted the championship from the off this season. It's one last throw at the dice for a lot of the team. Melvin gaels have a young team and will be about for the next few years.

SOH I think will beat Mohil in a very close game may even be a draw. SOH seems to be a very close knit unit this year prob the best manager in the county and a very talented pool of players. They seem extremely fit and have a massive running game. Mohil obviously have a good team as well. I just think this could be SOH year.

Annaduff I think will beat leitrim gaels. Although I think this game will be won at midfield as both teams have talented forwards who can score. If Morton can dominate around the middle and hit long range scores then I give them the nod. I do think the winner of this game will win the championship tho.

Glera I think will beat Drumkeeein. They are in a league final and bet a good carrigallen team in the 1/4 final. They won't be found wanting for hunger or passion anyway. It will be another close game.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 17/09/2019 14:54:59    2236641

Link