Leitrim Forum

Declan Darcy's Comments

(Oldest Posts First)

Comments made at Dublin's Media Night in Parnell Park

"We are in a golden period at the minute, which is fantastic, but the reason Ciaran Kilkenny and these people are playing is because what their coaches and school teachers did 10 years ago."

"They just didn't turn good footballers in the last year or two. There is a lot of work gone into the players and it is reflected in our athletes.

"I don't think Dublin should be punished for that, they should be congratulated for that.

"And it is maybe for other counties to look in and see how did they do that and then bring it into their own county. Bring that blueprint in.

"I played for Leitrim. It is the same for them, they have 30 arms and 30 legs, it is the same."

"Look at New Zealand, they have a small population and they are still the best rugby team in the world and they are able to England, with a population of 60 million. Big population doesn't entitle you to anything.

"If they put good people in all the right places, and do all the hard work that needs to be done, they can definitely achieve to be provincial winners.
"There is no doubting that.

Tipperary got to an All-Ireland semi-final last year, would you be going to saying that is a population thing?

"No, it was hard work by those individual players and the people that had coached them, they were very effective at U21 and minor level.

"There was a lot of work put in and when there is the right amount of work put in at the right time and the right place, you will get good players. You will produce them."

Not much pity for our situation from the 94 captain .... what's the consensus

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 02/09/2017 12:27:45    2041780

Link

Absolutely correct!
If population was the blueprint for success then China and India should be dominating every sport. They're not.
The population card is wheeled out constantly. Anyone involved with the county that trots out this should be told to walk. It seeps into players minds from an early age and I don't blame them if they swallow it if it's their own telling them.
Carrick area won another all Ireland this year at u10 level to add to the one they have already. Ballinamore area won it a couple if years ago. Yes there are a number if club's combined but they beat big population centres along the way. Population doesn't matter!
We have regressed or at best stood still the last 10 to 15 years. We have operated on the assumption that once in a blue moon we'll get a bunch of decent players together and we'll get back to moral victories at least. Doesn't work like that anymore if it ever did. Dublin and Mayo and the like work their asses off. It doesn't just happen.
An ill prepared u17 team could and should have beat roscommon. Where did that roscommon team end up?
Our club scene is a shambles. Teams should earn the right to be playing the highest level they can. Currently, a bit of an effort will preserve your status for another year. It's not good enough. You have to work hard to be in with a chance to win but you should have to work equally hard to stay at senior or intermediate. If the summit of your ambition is to play for "the parish" or play with the lads you grew up with then off you go and play junior b. If you want to achieve then it's hard work.

Stop the excuses

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 17 - 02/09/2017 17:22:50    2041878

Link

Any chance we could get Darcy down to show us the way for a couple of years.Teach a man to fish and all that...

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 147 - 02/09/2017 18:32:19    2041897

Link

He is correct it has very little to do with population but it has a lot to do with money, which Dublin have any amount of. Each player driving a sponsored car having specially prepared meals delivered to them at work... All working within the county so for him to say or even imply it's a level playing field is deluded. Dublin/Mayo and few others are no longer just football teams they are a brand generating lots of money and spending lots also. mayo will have you believe costs are over probably a million this year (majority if not all on senior team) I can assure u its a lot more, Dublin spending even greater again so what chance do the smaller counties have

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 03/09/2017 00:40:32    2042042

Link

I heard from a cousin up the country that alot of the Dub players don't work full time at all. The go around the schools in Dublin and spend a few hrs coaching and then it's home time. Look the funding in Dub is massive look at AIG sponsoring them and what ever else the get. But look it comes down to coaching and that has to improve if we want to get anywhere

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 885 - 03/09/2017 12:14:57    2042108

Link

The problem is rife in Leitrim and evident in some of the posters comments. They are already wheeling out buts and excuses, money jobs etc. The attitude is wrong, starts at the top. A totally inept County Board who make appointments that at best lack ambition, won't make bold decisions and mismanage money. County teams are badly managed at all levels.
Luckily James Glancy's appointment is the only ray of sunlight on dark horizon. But can one man change mindsets. He needs to be allowed to have a team around him. 3 young ambitious coaches where each of them are responsible for 8 clubs each. Ensuring coaches are well educated and remove the emphasis on winning from all teams u13 downwards and encourage players to have every skill first before structuring the team with tactics. Declan Darcy is 100% correct. Sometimes the person looking in from outside can give the best assessment and I think this is the case here

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 03/09/2017 13:40:34    2042140

Link

Lack of money is now being wheeled out as the reason! It'd be great to have loads of money but we all know that if you don't have it you come up with a plan b or c. It won't stop you being a success if you really want it.
The attitude seems to be that the top teams have all the advantages so why bother. Can we at least get up to the level where we can expect to beat Carlow. That'd be a good start.
If the Dublin team weren't a success they'd be getting the bus. Sponsors aren't stupid. A player is part of a brand. If you portray success then companies want to jump on the bandwagon.Start achieving and show that you're determined to push on. That you're determined to be the best that you possibly can be.
Or else show that you're happy to be a big fish in a small pond and you're happy to take a hiding or two a year. And sure we're Leitrim. What do you expect? We've no players and no money and blah blah blah!!!!!
Kids are smart. They're competitive. They want to win every game they play. They know it's not being run correctly. Why buy into something when it's not going give them the chance to be a success. The cycle wl continue.
Virtually every kid in the county attended a cul camps during the summer. How did they get there? Did the county board organise buses to get them there? Do they bring them to training every week or drive them the length and breadth of the county and beyond. Of course they don't. We don't expect them to do it. Now imagine if qualified and experienced coaches went to a few games at underage level and picked out the obvious talent and put them forward for elite camps during the year. Develop talent that way. Prepare them properly from an early age. Show them that it's being run properly. Let them see what It takes to be a success at inter county level. Expose them to good quality football. They will improve. Monitor the progress of all kids via the club's. There should be a huge emphasis at club level on skills and an expectation that each year there will be a test to see if they are progressing with their skills. Bring in coaches from outside the club to assess these. Your child can't be bothered. No problem. There will be a place for them in the GAA but its not on our development squad.
It takes more than just saying you have development squads. Seek seperate sponsorship for these squads.
Make it clear that if the club's can't be bothered the county will intervene and it's the club's loss if their more loyal to the county.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 17 - 03/09/2017 18:27:43    2042241

Link

As usual Darcy is spot on. For 20 years before 2011 Dublin didn't win the All Ireland and the population was irrelevant. But once the county board got their house in order look at the success that they have. The point regarding money is more important but you could give the current Leitrim county board all the funding in the world and some of their decisions would be bizarre. If population was the be all and end all Aughawillan would be one of the weakest clubs in our county for example. The environment and culture which a team is in is much more significant. We need more people with Darcy's viewpoints and capabilities involved with Leitrim Football before it is to late.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 03/09/2017 19:24:49    2042265

Link

Im reading through all these post about why leitrim is not as successful as we should be and i have to say that i agree with all these post, everyone that has posted on this forum is right and has summed up why we arent making any headway but when you sum up all the problems with leitrim football their is one massive common denominator and thats our county board. Darcy mentioned about football in the primary schools being one of the focal points in the current achievements of the Dublin team and i think thats a huge let down in the county board. my nephew is station in an average size primary school in our county and he says only 6 out of the 14 boys in his class play football with the local club, wheres the encouragement for the other 8 boys to play football? you could blame the club yes but the men and women working in the club scene arent being paid and are working hard on a voluntary basis so can only go so far but i feel thats where the county board should step in as it should be one of the main priority's for potential improvement in the future of our county. i know that their is outside coaches coming into the schools and training our future but i still feel it should be taken more seriously . my only regret is that the men and women behind the screens posting on this forum are not the current county board because if ye where and strong enough to back your opinion than i think leitrim football would be contesting connacht titles because believe it or not but the talent is their

hurricane567 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 03/09/2017 22:17:22    2042350

Link

Replying To hurricane567:  "Im reading through all these post about why leitrim is not as successful as we should be and i have to say that i agree with all these post, everyone that has posted on this forum is right and has summed up why we arent making any headway but when you sum up all the problems with leitrim football their is one massive common denominator and thats our county board. Darcy mentioned about football in the primary schools being one of the focal points in the current achievements of the Dublin team and i think thats a huge let down in the county board. my nephew is station in an average size primary school in our county and he says only 6 out of the 14 boys in his class play football with the local club, wheres the encouragement for the other 8 boys to play football? you could blame the club yes but the men and women working in the club scene arent being paid and are working hard on a voluntary basis so can only go so far but i feel thats where the county board should step in as it should be one of the main priority's for potential improvement in the future of our county. i know that their is outside coaches coming into the schools and training our future but i still feel it should be taken more seriously . my only regret is that the men and women behind the screens posting on this forum are not the current county board because if ye where and strong enough to back your opinion than i think leitrim football would be contesting connacht titles because believe it or not but the talent is their"
It's a closed shop, the back stabbing and politics would ensure that no one radical got in as it would only highlight the incompetency and failings of the present lot. Some good people have tried but either gave up or morphed into one of the lot. En made something could be done but a change here and there will never bring about the improvement that is required.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 04/09/2017 07:54:30    2042410

Link

An ill prepared u17 team could and should have beat roscommon. Where did that roscommon team end up?

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts:5 - 02/09/2017 17:22:50 2041878

Compared to some Leitrim underage teams that Leitrim U17 team was not ill prepared. No could or should we were never in any danger of losing that game however no shame in that as after all our U17 team was the 2nd best team in Ireland this year. Leitrim were given the short straw in the Connacht draw as IMO Leitrim would have beaten Sligo,Mayo if drawn against them.

i'd agree with a lot of what Darcy said but he's not going to admit that the top four senior teams are the top four and will remain the top for many year to come because of the money that is pumped into to them which includes full time coaches at schools level.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2514 - 05/09/2017 01:58:42    2042852

Link

The u17s weren't well prepared. I'm sure their management would have loved to have the resources to prepare them to the required level but they didn't. Our underage teams in the early 90s had more work done. Giving lads a sheet with a gym program isn't sufficient. In the absence of good quality club football they need games of higher quality to bring them up to inter county standard.
Jim mc Guinness has a good article in the Irish Times today about the difference in resources. Nevertheless I maintain that we can do an awful lot to improve ourselves without a dependence on Croke park to intervene.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 17 - 05/09/2017 14:58:15    2043007

Link