Leitrim Forum

U17 game

(Oldest Posts First)

How do we think we'll get on?anyone to look out for?

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 62 - 17/06/2017 17:43:05    2000645

Link

Think we have a good chance in the u17 game, some very talented,energetic players on the panel

Leitrimabu17 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 17/06/2017 18:17:31    2000649

Link

Beaten again by Roscommon underage - this is simply not good enough year after year - everybody gives out about the seniors but these are our future seniors being beaten year in year out. Sort it out Leitrim!!

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 428 - 18/06/2017 22:26:09    2001456

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Beaten again by Roscommon underage - this is simply not good enough year after year - everybody gives out about the seniors but these are our future seniors being beaten year in year out. Sort it out Leitrim!!"
Roscommon U16s won the Fr Manning Cup and Ted Webb cup shield last year, the chances of Leitrim ever winning that game was slim.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2388 - 18/06/2017 22:37:44    2001461

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Roscommon U16s won the Fr Manning Cup and Ted Webb cup shield last year, the chances of Leitrim ever winning that game was slim."
Why aren't Leitrim winning these competitions? Is this why we end up with a senior team that are embarrassed by other counties in championship ?

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 428 - 18/06/2017 23:21:19    2001492

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Why aren't Leitrim winning these competitions? Is this why we end up with a senior team that are embarrassed by other counties in championship ?"
Cos, we're not good enough and don't have numbers to compete. Galway City has same number of underage footballers to pick from as whole of Co. Leitrim.

festy_o_semtex (UK) - Posts: 67 - 19/06/2017 16:24:09    2001942

Link

Replying To festy_o_semtex:  "Cos, we're not good enough and don't have numbers to compete. Galway City has same number of underage footballers to pick from as whole of Co. Leitrim."
We have enough players, just not enough committed ones. We have awful coaches

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 19/06/2017 16:58:34    2001969

Link

Who would we like to see coaching our teams?

Can anyone name the last Leitrim person to coach a team to win our Senior Football Championship where there was no "outside" influence on the management team?

Is their any Leitrim coach operating at a high level in other counties apart from Declan Darcy (who we have zero chance of persuading to leave Dublin) that would be worth approaching?

leitrimfollower (Leitrim) - Posts: 39 - 19/06/2017 18:18:02    2002029

Link

will anyone make the journey up to sligo tomorrow to watch the lads?

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 62 - 27/06/2017 10:33:40    2006187

Link

Replying To leitrimfollower:  "Who would we like to see coaching our teams?

Can anyone name the last Leitrim person to coach a team to win our Senior Football Championship where there was no "outside" influence on the management team?

Is their any Leitrim coach operating at a high level in other counties apart from Declan Darcy (who we have zero chance of persuading to leave Dublin) that would be worth approaching?"
Thomas Crowe St Marys. 2013. Before that god knows

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 27/06/2017 18:31:07    2006445

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "We have enough players, just not enough committed ones. We have awful coaches"
So sad to see criticism of the underage team coaches who have given up so much of their leisure time to develop our young players. Do you even know their names?

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 62 - 27/06/2017 21:17:27    2006529

Link

Replying To Zucker:  "will anyone make the journey up to sligo tomorrow to watch the lads?"
Get behind the Minors- enough of the negativity so prevalent on this Forum.Leitrim are well prepared for this challenge. We have a better than 50/50 chance of winning if the lads perform to their potential so crowd support is essential. Make the effort.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 62 - 27/06/2017 21:34:05    2006541

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "So sad to see criticism of the underage team coaches who have given up so much of their leisure time to develop our young players. Do you even know their names?"
Oh I do know their names and every one of them good decent people just coaches with poor records. Results will back me up on this. In Cavan you can see a template with underage teams I can't ever remember spotting one bar with Shane Ward, not a pretty one but with better personnel it could have worked. Stop this defending people because they volunteer. Every club member volunteers as much time. At the moment I give 9 hours on the field a week plus organising texting n humouring players prob another 5 hours. I choose to do it. If a better person can be got to do my job I step aside pronto. For the good of the club. Same mantra is not at county level.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 28/06/2017 08:34:24    2006647

Link

Define a good coaching record for a Leitrim coach?

In fairness, the current minor manager is the last person to coach us to a Connacht Minor Final. We have individuals coaching at development squad level who have won Connacht Minor Leagues and got schools to All Ireland Finals albeit at C and D level.

The only way we are going to get coaches with "better records" is by going outside the county and that will cost significant amounts of money as most guys with "good records" are on the club merry go round where they are well compensated for what they do.

Unless of course lads here can point out coaches from Leitrim with "better records" that are been missed out on...

leitrimfollower (Leitrim) - Posts: 39 - 28/06/2017 10:02:23    2006683

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Get behind the Minors- enough of the negativity so prevalent on this Forum.Leitrim are well prepared for this challenge. We have a better than 50/50 chance of winning if the lads perform to their potential so crowd support is essential. Make the effort."
Well if you think this team has more than a 50/50 chance of winning this game you know very little about them. The best they will be able to do is keep the score respectable which hopefully somehow they manage to do

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 28/06/2017 10:37:10    2006710

Link

It's actually ridiculous how naive the leitrim people writing on this forum are , no wonder leitrim football is at such a low when we have people with in the county encouraging one of the major problems in the leitrim "corrupt" set up and that's underage coaching . Their is a trend of recycling old coaches who had past successes with leitrim football over 10 years ago (athleast) but you have to realise that footbal and development of young players has changed drastically in recent time and reusing old methods to succeed in present day is not going to work and although these underage coaches and developers are cheaper and more economical are putting in huge effort they aren't just good enough for modern day football and that's why are senior county team is failing too. The players are their but the guidance is not. I know this minor county team are missing a number of key footballers due to other commitments.that says a lot when teenagers don't want to commit because they are wise enough to know what is happening in the our county's set up. People want leitrim football to evolve and improve but they don't want anything to change ? That's the vibe I get from the majority of the county

hurricane567 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 28/06/2017 17:05:14    2007004

Link

Replying To hurricane567:  "It's actually ridiculous how naive the leitrim people writing on this forum are , no wonder leitrim football is at such a low when we have people with in the county encouraging one of the major problems in the leitrim "corrupt" set up and that's underage coaching . Their is a trend of recycling old coaches who had past successes with leitrim football over 10 years ago (athleast) but you have to realise that footbal and development of young players has changed drastically in recent time and reusing old methods to succeed in present day is not going to work and although these underage coaches and developers are cheaper and more economical are putting in huge effort they aren't just good enough for modern day football and that's why are senior county team is failing too. The players are their but the guidance is not. I know this minor county team are missing a number of key footballers due to other commitments.that says a lot when teenagers don't want to commit because they are wise enough to know what is happening in the our county's set up. People want leitrim football to evolve and improve but they don't want anything to change ? That's the vibe I get from the majority of the county"
I wasn't saying that things should stay the same hurricane.

I was merely trying to get a debate going about how you change the set-up and where we find coaches at the required level to progress things on.

I don't think the underage coaching set-up is corrupt but that they are doing their best with limited resources. My understanding is that at the moment no underage development squad coach or minor team coach is paid any expenses. If we want to attract outside talent to the county of the level required a significant investment is required - where does the money come from and who foots the bill?

The other issue which needs to be dealt with before any major improvement is seen is the standard of club coaching. By the time a player gets to the U-14 development squad it is too late to coach them the basic skills. For example not many Leitrim footballers at club or county level can kick comfortably off both feet. These skills must be developed between the ages of 6 and 12. Again major investment is required here in terms of full time coaches but again who funds this on an ongoing basis?

leitrimfollower (Leitrim) - Posts: 39 - 28/06/2017 18:10:46    2007040

Link