Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A lot of people on here coming up with solutions but have YOU actually tried to implement any of these in your own clubs. And if so how are these working out. It's very easy to go online and blame all insundry but what have you done. We're all leitrim gaa people. Lets sort this by doing work in our clubs.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 262 - 20/06/2017 17:23:29    2002672

Link

Replying To Ouryear:  "A lot of people on here coming up with solutions but have YOU actually tried to implement any of these in your own clubs. And if so how are these working out. It's very easy to go online and blame all insundry but what have you done. We're all leitrim gaa people. Lets sort this by doing work in our clubs."
People have every right to voice their concern at the state of Leitrim football in the aftermath of last Sunday's massacre. Supporters pay 25 euros to see a team that drops its head and don't put their bodies on the line for their county. I am so used of Leitrim losing I have become immune to it but at least lose with dignity, contest every ball and die with your boots on.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 20/06/2017 18:52:43    2002718

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "People have every right to voice their concern at the state of Leitrim football in the aftermath of last Sunday's massacre. Supporters pay 25 euros to see a team that drops its head and don't put their bodies on the line for their county. I am so used of Leitrim losing I have become immune to it but at least lose with dignity, contest every ball and die with your boots on."
Course people have the right to. I asked the question what are these keyboard warriors doing in their own club to start the process. I doubt very much. Very easy to criticise when not involved

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 262 - 20/06/2017 20:22:11    2002760

Link

You ask what are club's doing? They are doing their best with resources available. I know of club's that don't see their county players be it minors or seniors for most of the year. When they return they never set the world alight. What I saw on Sunday was a disillusioned team, that falls on the management and county board, definitely not club's. Watching GAA Nua last night you know what we are up against. If what I have been hearing from those wealthy exiles who have promised a largesse of cash to develop the players and the County Board are practically refusing to take it, all over inflated egos and a feeling of being undermined. Well it's obvious their football nous is not up to scratch but at least be somewhat competent in the admin side of the organisation. Too many snouts in the trough not answerable to nobody. I see St Marys at the moment doing terrific work at underage, huge numbers and lots of their former stars coaching, other clubs are also punching way above their weight also. Where club's are letting everyone down is their input to the county board. They send in some of their poorer and louder delegates but usually ones devoid of foresight and an understanding of how to have the county teams best prepared for the rigours of inter county football. Cliques have been formed that will take a decade to break if clubs don't wake up. Our young members deserve better. Otherwise this malaise will continue.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 20/06/2017 21:16:31    2002807

Link

Watching the match on Sunday I went through such a range of emotions from excitement and anticipation to frustration and anger and embarrassment. It was shambolic and laughable the petty challenge we put up.

Ross were in a different stratosphere to us. When Ross got the ball the amount of players making support runs and making themselves available was staggering. Options everywhere, players with ability to break through and score with ease. The Ross attacks had players mad for the ball. They looked very clever and intelligent on the ball. In stark contrast our boys did not want to know about the ball, nobody was mad for it the way that Ross were. No options anywhere. Players that look good in leitrim leagues but are actually of extremely limited ability. Our players looked incredibly stupid on the ball, there were a few attacks in the game where two Ross forwards were able to pass the ball over and back between themselves with four to five leitrim defenders In close proximity to them but were unable to cope with their runs, speed, movement and football intelligence. It was embarrassing.

What do we expect when week in and week out these players of ours play in the Leitrim leagues against other clubs who are also just going through the motions. This substandard level of club football in leitrim is what they are used to- what they grew up with. How can we expect them to then go and compete with Ross, Galway and mayo who have players playing club football week in week out where all clubs are busting their gut to be the best, leagues full of clubs where dietitians and strength and conditioning plans have been in place since players were young. Where these club players are coached by qualified coaches from a very young age and players are used to a standard and do not dare deviate from it. Ross, Galway and mayo players play in leagues like this. Their entire club scene is as dedicated and committed as our county team, their clubs have better underage structures than our county has.
The intercounty set up then takes the best of these players who have been subjected to this level of high quality lifestyle and football for years and takes them on that little bit more to the elite level that these counties now operate at.

All the while Leitrim intercounty players with their poor clubs doing so little compared to other counties then can only achieve a level of probably a good club team in other counties.

The constant exposure to high quality football is where we are lacking. How can we get our clubs up to that standard and our normal club players committed to the required level is the questions we need answered. Do this and everything will improve for us

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 452 - 20/06/2017 22:15:12    2002839

Link

Dont have any great answers for you but for what its worth we spend a lot of keyboard energy criticising the povertyy of our own club championships which are generally very poorly supported.

Success at inter-county level is largely stats driven, the bigger the county , the more players you have access to , the better your chances of getting 25 -30 lads with the right skill level and attitude together at the one time. For us , we are lucky if we get a competitive team every 10 years or so and that seems to be spreading out to every 15 years. With half the population, that is going to be an even greater challenge for Leitrim.

Our history helps us but its largely our 'thickness' and we are a small bit delusional which keeps us trying to get to the top table.

What worries we now is the money factor - It takes a minimum of 750k for an inter county team to prepare to the level to be even near competitive and that requirement is no different to Leitrim as it is to Meath or Kildare. For that , every county needs to have a sugar daddy or daddies and they wont put in in unless they believe in the four letter word , Hope.

Then it becomes a Croke Park problem. CP needs competitive counties and the wheel of fortune to turn continuously with new teams coming through or the stadiums will empty.

Have always admired the passion for the jersey in Leitrim, I dont think that was missing on Sunday and the lads on the field couldnt do much to turn the tide on Sunday. It does look like you have a bigger issue with turnover of players , more so than our much publicised turnover and that probably needs an answer before you can move forward.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 188 - 20/06/2017 23:42:29    2002874

Link

Haven't heard from Eddie 1 since the big game .. wonder what his thoughts were and how did he get on Sunday night ?

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 21/06/2017 08:15:05    2002913

Link

Going by this section the usual 2 day anger after the event subsides. Wait again til next year, another drubbing, rant again and then let it all happen again. What makes Leitrim people popular is our relaxed attitude and ability to accept crap as we have always been on the periphery of all the big stuff, but some have overcome this meekness and become Olympians, CEOs, Playwrights and hugely successful in their chosen path but it meant almost always having to leave Leitrim. Our acceptance of poor standards is a huge problem and our population is a problem but it is in this sense, we all know someone personally who is complicit in the everdropping standards of football in the county. They are most likely the nicest person going but ask yourself are they fit for purpose in dragging us from this mire we are in. It's a collective problem, but change must start from the top. An inspirational figure at the helm with a plan supported by driven people in the executive. Money can be generated but seeing the Cairde of Liathdroim launched last Friday stinks of bad timing. Probably will end up as a levy on club's as usual. Then make good appointments, players will respond to that and lastly get underage coaches who are accountable with results, not given their jobs annually after failing consistently.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 21/06/2017 16:03:10    2003125

Link

Well spodo ,it was a disaster on a scale never witnessed before

Firstly I was not sure about going on my own as the memories were too raw. I was going to listen to JL on the wireless.
Anyway with the sun shining sure I had to go. I got stuck sitting beside a Rossie and good lord what I had to put up with. He gave me a running commentary on every Roscommon player , each player was wearing a satellite dish inside their shorts that could tell us how many kilometers he ran during the game. Talk about useless information , I wanted to know could he kick a point or a goal, mark his man and did he know what to do with the ball when he got it. The Roscommon lads, he told me were all eating protein bars and nuts and bulking up. To me the guy was nuts himself. My head was midered. At half time I moved to beside my own supporters and to be fair they were subdued and quiet

At end of the game , I was walking out of the Hyde and who did I see but herself and the Pole. I fell to pieces. I a kind of kept back and let them head away without seeing me. I could not go home , I went to the local and consumed a monumental amount of whiskey and woke up this morning, and that's why you did not hear from me. I staggered down the stairs . The sun is fierce bright today which does not help.

When I got to the front door there was a big brown envelope on the floor. What was amazing was the postman delivered the letter addressed to,
Eddie 1 ,Up Leitrim ,Hoganstand, Leitrim . Fair play to the postman. In the envelope was a CV ,applying to be my 'partner'. It was impressive, photos of land, farm machinery including a bailer . She had 100 acres of the best of land, beef cattle and a rake of sheep. Jesus I said 'my luck is turning' And then I saw the address -Elphin,Roscommon. The wrong colour for me . That was that.

So there you have it. If you hear of any young lady interested in a very respectable Leitrim supporter you might post the details here .
She must be within the borders of 'Lovely Leitrim'

Eddie 1
Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 217 - 21/06/2017 19:21:48    2003214

Link

I had the good fortune to attend a cracking game football between arguably the best teams in the county last night at Manorhamilton's resplendent new pitch on the carrick road. High quality football produced by both teams on a perfect evening for football and the game was played at a frantic pace. no blanket defences , no over fussy refereeing, just two teams going at it making for a marvellous spectacle. the game finished all square, 14 or 15 points apiece, strong performances from ronan gallagher, oisin madden and at times from shane quinn for mohill. Brian mc donald and darren sweeney for manor, but the standout player on view was Evan Sweeney who have an exhibition of movement, pace, intelligence and above all accurate point taking which mohill were unable to curtail. On balance a draw was a fair result with both sides having opportunities to close out the game. a great game for the neutral and an exception to the bland football so often served up at club games in the county.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 492 - 22/06/2017 09:46:36    2003387

Link

Replying To Ouryear:  "A lot of people on here coming up with solutions but have YOU actually tried to implement any of these in your own clubs. And if so how are these working out. It's very easy to go online and blame all insundry but what have you done. We're all leitrim gaa people. Lets sort this by doing work in our clubs."
alot of people coming on here are involved at clubs at local level, any opinions I am personally offering are based on waht i am seeing from my involvement at local level

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 492 - 22/06/2017 13:47:57    2003541

Link