Kerry Forum

New Keeper?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

k'boy at this stage I'd let it lie, EF has gone and despite recent failings and there was a few, history will be good to EF - I'm was not his biggest fan towards the end but realistically and on paper he was unbeaten in Munster with five on the trot, an all Ireland and a national league - in any other county that would be considered successful - key now is moving forward in the right direction and getting the right people both sides of the white line in place and getting behind them.

Hermit I can be as vocal as the next man but have to agree there is a core of unreasonable and unrealistic people out there that class themselves as fans, the may have never kicked a ball in the life but are self appointed experts, don't get me wrong I'm not saying I'm an expert far from it but even a good friend of mine who I used to go to games with turned into a right C U next Tuesday on the sideline arguing every point, goal or tackle an impossible man to watch a game with, I have no issue losing to a better team and have no problem applauding an oppositions score even when I'm coaching. We should all be there for the good of the game but there is an element in every county that don't fit that bill, I always maintain you'll meet the genuine fan on away days in Feb and March not in August or September.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3523 - 09/09/2018 14:23:56    2140483

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "There was a lot of truth in what he was saying though in all fairness. Our support in Croker for big games is an embarrassment at this stage and seems to be getting worse. You can't underestimate the effect being hugely outnumbered has on players.

I do think he went OTT though and completely overstated the issue. I don't believe he was getting abuse on the street for example. Perhaps I'm wrong, and maybe there was isolated incidents when someone had a go at him and if so that is unacceptable IMO.

I said after that Mayo game when he agreed to stay on that this wasn't going to end well. It was clear the panel needed a major shakeup and there was no way he was going to get the time needed to do that properly and get another team challenging. I don't know if it was his ego that kept him there if if Tim Murphy asked him to stay on but it was a bad call all around."
He was getting personal abuse though after the Galway game, apparently he couldn't even go into the local shop without some fella coming up to him. That's not right, nor bellowing at some fella from the stand either. On here we rightly questioned tactics, team selections, substituions etc. but no one was saying anything personal.
But I agree he made a mountain out of a molehill about the angry mail stuff.

Also agree our support could be better, esp considering how well supportered we are in the League but then again we're a farming/tourism county nearly all my friends are in some job connected with services, bar managers, hotels, etc etc sure they don't have a weekend off from April till Oct. Hard to get away for a Kerry game.

And look how we are di€ked around with throw in times, 4pm on Sunday in Croker and same a week later all the way up in Clones. Christ youd have to leave at 9am for those games and you wouldnt be back till 10. With work the next morning then. Sure if I didn't have the fortune to work from home when I needed to I won't be able to get to half the games I wanted to.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4064 - 09/09/2018 14:44:16    2140485

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "k'boy at this stage I'd let it lie, EF has gone and despite recent failings and there was a few, history will be good to EF - I'm was not his biggest fan towards the end but realistically and on paper he was unbeaten in Munster with five on the trot, an all Ireland and a national league - in any other county that would be considered successful - key now is moving forward in the right direction and getting the right people both sides of the white line in place and getting behind them.

Hermit I can be as vocal as the next man but have to agree there is a core of unreasonable and unrealistic people out there that class themselves as fans, the may have never kicked a ball in the life but are self appointed experts, don't get me wrong I'm not saying I'm an expert far from it but even a good friend of mine who I used to go to games with turned into a right C U next Tuesday on the sideline arguing every point, goal or tackle an impossible man to watch a game with, I have no issue losing to a better team and have no problem applauding an oppositions score even when I'm coaching. We should all be there for the good of the game but there is an element in every county that don't fit that bill, I always maintain you'll meet the genuine fan on away days in Feb and March not in August or September."
Yeah that's the truth that ones that you meet on the winters days in Derry or Down or somewhere are the supporters and their not a bad bunch at all!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4064 - 09/09/2018 15:30:02    2140490

Link

I wonder will PK coax back Shane Ryan as a viable option

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3523 - 16/10/2018 22:37:52    2146892

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I wonder will PK coax back Shane Ryan as a viable option"
It would be brilliant if he could get Shane Ryan back horse, shane has it all as a goalie, height agility and a presence between the sticks and the distance he can drive the ball.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 7842 - 17/10/2018 11:50:45    2146946

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "It would be brilliant if he could get Shane Ryan back horse, shane has it all as a goalie, height agility and a presence between the sticks and the distance he can drive the ball."
A mate of mine reckons he'll try coax his club mate Sheehan out if retirement but I think bein g am ex legion man he may look at Kelly again - still from what I've read and heard PK isn't sentimental and regardless of club, history or otherwise if you're not the standard you just simply don't count

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3523 - 17/10/2018 12:08:58    2146951

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "A mate of mine reckons he'll try coax his club mate Sheehan out if retirement but I think bein g am ex legion man he may look at Kelly again - still from what I've read and heard PK isn't sentimental and regardless of club, history or otherwise if you're not the standard you just simply don't count"
Iv heard that as well horse, but you could see that with the spread of clubs at minor level and it didn't matter if they were from small clubs or big clubs, I like that.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 7842 - 17/10/2018 14:06:20    2146976

Link