Kerry Forum

State Of Tralee Football

(Oldest Posts First)

Young lads and indeed women in Tralee have always had competing sports looking to attract them away from GAA . I remember during my time in CBS the Green some great footballers for one reason or another left to play soccer or basketball and best of luck to them.
Having said that is Tralee Football in Crisis ? Stacks got annihilated by Nemo rangers, bar tommy walsh and david moran both pushing on, kerins aren't doing that great in terms of future senior county stars while the mitchelles are not so hot either although Na Gael seem to have some magic.
So to my question, Is Tralee , the town with the counties largest population in crisis football wise and long term with populations in rural areas in rapid decline can we allow this to continue.
Secondly is Killarney and its hinterland doing something that Tralee isn't doing by producing the likes of ie cliffords, james o Donoghue, Gouch
I 'll leave you with a phrase I have often heard great Kerry teams require '' Strong west Kerry backs and townie forwards

locky76 (Dublin) - Posts: 7 - 24/01/2020 13:35:32    2261926

Link

Replying To locky76:  "Young lads and indeed women in Tralee have always had competing sports looking to attract them away from GAA . I remember during my time in CBS the Green some great footballers for one reason or another left to play soccer or basketball and best of luck to them.
Having said that is Tralee Football in Crisis ? Stacks got annihilated by Nemo rangers, bar tommy walsh and david moran both pushing on, kerins aren't doing that great in terms of future senior county stars while the mitchelles are not so hot either although Na Gael seem to have some magic.
So to my question, Is Tralee , the town with the counties largest population in crisis football wise and long term with populations in rural areas in rapid decline can we allow this to continue.
Secondly is Killarney and its hinterland doing something that Tralee isn't doing by producing the likes of ie cliffords, james o Donoghue, Gouch
I 'll leave you with a phrase I have often heard great Kerry teams require '' Strong west Kerry backs and townie forwards"
IS our Sligo friend back i ask myself lol.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 123 - 24/01/2020 17:24:23    2261962

Link

Well the Rockies bought themselves two islanders, there has always been poaching going on between a few of the Tralee clubs. The 'big two' always tapped up promising players from Mitchels, Churchill, Pats and Ballymac. I can think of a few players that the Narries have that didn't start out with them and only 'surfaced' in the blue after or around minor level, and these would be championship starters now.

The Rockies always looked to find ways to 'claim' new players into the area and when they were a duel club on paper this was their angle to get any promising footballer who could hurl to join them. The emergence of Parnels in a god send in this regard.

I'm a fan of the parish rule and right be right you play with your club, ironically it's Na Gaeil who I always found who conducted themselves in an honorable manner when I was growing up and they are reaping the benefits now and best of luck to them tomorrow.

I hated the way money clubs in Tralee, KIllarney or even LIstowel conduct themselves, smaller clubs haven't a hope of survival if their star players are coaxed away.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 24/01/2020 19:34:57    2261995

Link

Horse I totally agree with you but the rockies are saying the two sullivann are living in tralee and the island are not fielding a team as the population has disappeared. Immigration etc I was speaking with a rock publican yesterday a great supporter of all things kerry football the rock will be some outfit with them two boys the star is staying on as well so he stay inside full forward the sullivans supplying the ball in. I'm afraid it is just the times we live in with players moving about

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 25/01/2020 03:19:45    2262060

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Horse I totally agree with you but the rockies are saying the two sullivann are living in tralee and the island are not fielding a team as the population has disappeared. Immigration etc I was speaking with a rock publican yesterday a great supporter of all things kerry football the rock will be some outfit with them two boys the star is staying on as well so he stay inside full forward the sullivans supplying the ball in. I'm afraid it is just the times we live in with players moving about"
Your prob right Traleegerry, things might have changed honourability wise- it wasn't always the case though but the Narries were the worst culprits

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 25/01/2020 11:14:10    2262098

Link

Taking in outsiders will not improve tralee football and it is not something I agree with. The 2 osullivans when valentia could field a team they should have transferred to there nearest club team in South kerry. The only way too really stop clubs looking to bring in players from other areas and indeed from outside the county which has been done in the resent past by 2 prominent tralee clubs. The clubs themselves must show integrity and pride in there in there area and in the players and supporters from there area and say no we will not pursue players or accept players from outside there area even if there living and working in that area. It's called pride in the parish. Pride in the county.. Pride in the provence.. Pride in the country.. We only have to look at soccer and rugby as a prime example

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 30/01/2020 01:55:57    2263671

Link

It is now confirmed the 2 sullivans from the island are rockies I really don't have the answer to all this does anybody else have any ideas

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 15/02/2020 18:01:02    2267849

Link

There are no answers as no one at the correct level will ask the question;s.

To take it from a different angle, say I'm a minor footballer living in Brendan's park, played all my ball as a rookie and have ambitions of a starting berth on the senior team, suddenly with say what 14 years of the black and Amber two rookies become Rockies and leap frog me on the senior panel, one would be peeved, and this is happening at many club levels mainly at major towns all around Ireland not to mind kerry.

I know ye will say fight for your place but it must be disheartening.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 15/02/2020 19:07:38    2267862

Link

Very sensible answer horse as I have said it has to come down to the integrity of the clubs.

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 15/02/2020 23:29:09    2267899

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Very sensible answer horse as I have said it has to come down to the integrity of the clubs."
I think unfort it may be more the integrity of the top table running the club but ya agree with you

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 16/02/2020 14:08:24    2267943

Link

Hermit, watched an U14 development squad clash between Feale Rangers and Tralee District. Oh man what a difference, young men against kids. Lost count of score for Tralee but FR were held scoreless

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 19/02/2020 15:55:14    2268464

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Hermit, watched an U14 development squad clash between Feale Rangers and Tralee District. Oh man what a difference, young men against kids. Lost count of score for Tralee but FR were held scoreless"
I've said it many times before on here Horse, task forces need to be appointed to target the (growing) geographical areas across Kerry which are seeing such an alarming fall in standards in Gaelic football.

North Kerry is the most pressing issue, how many players from our backyard have made Kerry senior squads in the last decade?.
Our two divisional teams are canon fodder in the Co. Championship.
As you have so vividly illustrated, the underage prospects are slim to none.
NK clubs are making little impact in the County Leagues or in Junior/Intermediate Championships.

It's really really concerning and indeed tragic given the proud tradition of North Kerry players wearing the green and gold.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5563 - 19/02/2020 21:11:05    2268517

Link

Lads a true football man was laid to rest today timmy sheehan of the rock. I have always had the greatest admiration and respect for men who put so much into there clubs these are really the men who make the gaa what it is and this is why I do not like to players transferring from club to another the day will eventually come when we will have true loyal club men and without these men our gaa will no longer be personal to us

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 07/03/2020 15:51:14    2272622

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Lads a true football man was laid to rest today timmy sheehan of the rock. I have always had the greatest admiration and respect for men who put so much into there clubs these are really the men who make the gaa what it is and this is why I do not like to players transferring from club to another the day will eventually come when we will have true loyal club men and without these men our gaa will no longer be personal to us"
Rip Timmy, and condolence to Timmys family and friends.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11004 - 07/03/2020 19:00:35    2272657

Link