Kerry Forum

Kerry National League 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I think we have too man half backs and are trying to accommodate all of them, I think the balance is off, all players mentioned are class players in their own right but for me the synergy just isn't there. We all know that PK likes to play three across the middle and has picked players like Adrain Spillane and Diarmuid O'Connor as wing forwards or even corner forward but they predominantly played as a midfielder.

Last year in the semi when we we're in trouble with McShane Crowley went back to the corner and played well, I though maybe this could be his role but his display at fullback against Galway put a bullet in that notion.

Or was the Galway display just a blip? Then again I have to take the opposition player Shane Walsh into account. On any given day he will beat 70% of intercounty defenders.

I think the six backs will be Graham, Morley, Tom Sull, Paul, Gavin Crowley and Gavin White. The other options are O'Beagleacht, Foley, Sherwood.

I would like so see Sherwood picked at 8 and stay in front of the half back line with Jack Barry and Spillane manning the natural centre field positions. I would keep Moran in reserve as a last twenty minute man.

I think Sherwood's displays for East Kerry last year in a variety of positions in defence was the foundation for the bishop Moynihan win.

Up front though O'Brien, Seanie, Paul Geaney and DC are guaranteed starters....

Picking or trying to accommodate all in my XV is challenging., still a nice headache for PK."
To be honest I don't think Graham O'Sullivan is ready to be a championship starter this year. I would have that corner back position between Foley, Peter Crowley and Sherwood with who gets it depending on form. Hard to call very tight between the 3 of them in my opinion.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 514 - 01/07/2020 23:23:04    2282619

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "My hope is Kerry will try a few things for end of league as we ve nothing to lose.Maybe try Barry at c.b. Graham Sull f.b.Tom Sull half back.Kearney midfield with Spillane and Tomas O Se corner forward(altho i think he dtopped).Im also worried bout Peter Keane s management.Has he got it for the big time?Getting rid of Fionn Fitz was an error last year and Ronan Shanahan who was brill v dubs in league final 17.Tomas o Se?Kev Mc Carthy and of course Donie s exit"
I hope he doesn't try any of those things. Now it's not the time for looking at different things just for the sake of it. None of those adjustments you mention there improve the team in my opinion. Dropping Fionn Fitzgerald from the panel was a no brainer, he was nowhere near the standard required at the time. Dropping Shanahan was also the right call in my opinion now, he was a bit short.

I think for the Monaghan game and also the Donegal game we should go hard for the win and pick our strongest team. We need to get the starting 15 used to playing with each other and build momentum.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 514 - 02/07/2020 09:44:36    2282649

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "My hope is Kerry will try a few things for end of league as we ve nothing to lose.Maybe try Barry at c.b. Graham Sull f.b.Tom Sull half back.Kearney midfield with Spillane and Tomas O Se corner forward(altho i think he dtopped).Im also worried bout Peter Keane s management.Has he got it for the big time?Getting rid of Fionn Fitz was an error last year and Ronan Shanahan who was brill v dubs in league final 17.Tomas o Se?Kev Mc Carthy and of course Donie s exit"
Fionn and Ronan Shanahan are probably not championship standard imo, Tomas is a good player that would make a lot of county teams across the country but there are just too many ahead of him in Kerry. Kevin McCarthy might be able to offer something but he had to go under the circumstances. I'd be open to giving him another chance in the future.

Tom Sullivan to half back is the only thing I'd agree with you on there, and only if they have adequate cover in the corners which I don't think they will so I expect he will be corned back again.

It would be great if Peter Crowley could come in and do a job in the full back line somewhere, even off the bench he would be an asset. I felt bad for him last year as he was playing well and probably would have been a guaranteed starter and leader in that defence if he hadn't sustained that injury.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1854 - 02/07/2020 11:04:19    2282667

Link

Apologies KerryMick but i am more in agreement with both Gerry and Kerry15. The last two league games should be used to finslise championship plans and players, opting for experiments at that juncture is not an option.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 02/07/2020 14:05:29    2282714

Link

It is heartwarming to be duscussing players and option again...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4635 - 02/07/2020 14:06:21    2282715

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Apologies KerryMick but i am more in agreement with both Gerry and Kerry15. The last two league games should be used to finslise championship plans and players, opting for experiments at that juncture is not an option."
No need of apologies Horsebox.We all have our own ideas but we all want whats best for Kerry in the end

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 51 - 02/07/2020 14:50:16    2282725

Link