Kerry Forum

All Ireland Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "No I agree, the same XV could start the only re-gig is if Gavin White returns to the wing with Crowley at 6. But neither James nor Darragh imposed themselves enough. I think James will retain his place.

Then again the named XV might prob won't start"
No subs announced so don't hold your breath It will add to the mystique and the fun .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 553 - 19/07/2019 20:15:20    2213283

Link

Almost certainly another dummy team. This tradition of naming the team a few days beforehand had become a joke at this stage.

If that is the team the White will play as a forward again probably picking up McHugh and O'Sullivan will drop back. Sherwood to man mark Michael Murphy where-ever he goes then?

I'd be expecting two changes minimum on the day though.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1394 - 19/07/2019 21:35:20    2213315

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Almost certainly another dummy team. This tradition of naming the team a few days beforehand had become a joke at this stage.

If that is the team the White will play as a forward again probably picking up McHugh and O'Sullivan will drop back. Sherwood to man mark Michael Murphy where-ever he goes then?

I'd be expecting two changes minimum on the day though."
Jack Sherwood will be much more at home in a midfield role than in a man marking central defensive role Obviously a lot of experimentation has gone on and certainly G Crowley has given more body to back line emergence of Jason Foley with the chemistry between him and T Morley evident in game against Clare and again last Sunday is a positive development I am prepared to be surprised again next Sunday I dot like the idea of dummy team I remember the way Kerry supporters laughed at Cork a few years back when Cuthbert tried this on to outsmart Kerry Tomás is entitled to his prediction no reasonable person expects him to be infallible Even the great Frankie Detorri got his 4 predictions wrong on Wednesday in Killarney it cost me my petrol money

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 553 - 19/07/2019 22:25:26    2213336

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Almost certainly another dummy team. This tradition of naming the team a few days beforehand had become a joke at this stage.

Jack Sherwood will be much more at home in a midfield role than in a man marking central defensive role Obviously a lot of experimentation has gone on and certainly G Crowley has given more body to back line emergence of Jason Foley with the chemistry between him and T Morley evident in game against Clare and again last Sunday is a positive development I am prepared to be surprised again next Sunday I dot like the idea of dummy team I remember the way Kerry supporters laughed at Cork a few years back when Cuthbert tried this on to outsmart Kerry Tomás is entitled to his prediction no reasonable person expects him to be infallible Even the great Frankie Detorri got his 4 predictions wrong on Wednesday in Killarney it cost me my petrol money

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 553 - 19/07/2019 22:26:25    2213337

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Interesting line up, Ryan, Foley, Morley, Tom Sull, Paul, Crowley, Whyte, Moran, Sherwood, Spillane, Seanie, Graham Sull, DC, Geaney and Stephen.

I actually like this line up and and think the formation is quite forward thinking. I like the idea of Jack Sherwood and Graham in front of our defense with Adrain again slotting in alongside Moran. Seanie and stephen outside pulling the strings and Paul and DC closest to the posts.

Wha ye think of line up."
I like it horse, I think Peter and his backroom team is thinking outside the box and I for one am looking forward to the big game.

Super Sunday Kerry shtyle.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9124 - 19/07/2019 22:27:25    2213340

Link

That's exactly what I was thinking Gerry, I'm looking forward to see what our lads can do.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9124 - 19/07/2019 22:31:51    2213345

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I like it horse, I think Peter and his backroom team is thinking outside the box and I for one am looking forward to the big game.

Super Sunday Kerry shtyle."
Agree K'boy, I've this one sorted and actually have planned to head to Navan, I've never been to Pairc Taltainn, so this will be a new experience, it reminds me of 2009 and my first trip to Tullamore, I love new grounds there is always something exciting about a new venue.

Anyway really looking forward to this, I suppose it's the gaudy good Jerseys.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3933 - 19/07/2019 23:27:37    2213366

Link

It's nights like tonight I miss Seò Sport with Dara O'Cinneide and Sean Bàn.

TG4 really did booboo in scrapping this program.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3933 - 19/07/2019 23:44:00    2213370

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Jack Sherwood will be much more at home in a midfield role than in a man marking central defensive role Obviously a lot of experimentation has gone on and certainly G Crowley has given more body to back line emergence of Jason Foley with the chemistry between him and T Morley evident in game against Clare and again last Sunday is a positive development I am prepared to be surprised again next Sunday I dot like the idea of dummy team I remember the way Kerry supporters laughed at Cork a few years back when Cuthbert tried this on to outsmart Kerry Tomás is entitled to his prediction no reasonable person expects him to be infallible Even the great Frankie Detorri got his 4 predictions wrong on Wednesday in Killarney it cost me my petrol money"
If that team actually starts I think either Sherwood or Crowley will be given the job of spoiling Murphy and the other will play centre back. Spillane will play midfield along with Moran, and o'Brien and White will be in the half forwards. Sean O'Shea will be around the middle too as he has been doing recently.

Jack Sherwood is not an inter county midfielder for me. I don't actually think he has played a minute there for Kerry even during the league, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Can't see him actually playing there Sunday.

Will we see Tommy Walsh on Sunday? If not you'd really have to wonder why he is there taking up a squad place.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1394 - 20/07/2019 01:15:12    2213392

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "If that team actually starts I think either Sherwood or Crowley will be given the job of spoiling Murphy and the other will play centre back. Spillane will play midfield along with Moran, and o'Brien and White will be in the half forwards. Sean O'Shea will be around the middle too as he has been doing recently.

Jack Sherwood is not an inter county midfielder for me. I don't actually think he has played a minute there for Kerry even during the league, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Can't see him actually playing there Sunday.

Will we see Tommy Walsh on Sunday? If not you'd really have to wonder why he is there taking up a squad place."
How do we know until we see him playing there ? John O Keefe had not played a moment at full back until Mick O Dwyer asked him to play there ,the result of him doing so was stunning, a team of no hopers at the beginning of 1975 became legends It is worth a try and yes I do see him (Sherwood) as a possible shadow to Michael Murphy. We will have to wait and see. All in all should be an interesting weekend I expect Cork to shake Tyrone Mayo to best Meath Kerry should beat Donegal and Dublin to brush aside the Rossies

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 553 - 20/07/2019 08:06:43    2213415

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Agree K'boy, I've this one sorted and actually have planned to head to Navan, I've never been to Pairc Taltainn, so this will be a new experience, it reminds me of 2009 and my first trip to Tullamore, I love new grounds there is always something exciting about a new venue.

Anyway really looking forward to this, I suppose it's the gaudy good Jerseys."
No more gaudy gold jersey horse it's green and gold all the way now according to terrace talk anyway.

And that's great that you're getting to go to Navan, it's a small enough ground really old style from what I can remember but that's not important, the important thing is that hopefully we'll be going there with 4 points in the bag and not looking for a win.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9124 - 20/07/2019 08:48:29    2213419

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "If that team actually starts I think either Sherwood or Crowley will be given the job of spoiling Murphy and the other will play centre back. Spillane will play midfield along with Moran, and o'Brien and White will be in the half forwards. Sean O'Shea will be around the middle too as he has been doing recently.

Will we see Tommy Walsh on Sunday? If not you'd really have to wonder why he is there taking up a squad place."
I think Sherwood won't play midfield Gerry, he'll pretty end up as a seeeper I'd say or else man marking Murphy.

As for tommy I can't see making hay in the full forward line in this game but I'm sure PK has a plan for him at some stage.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9124 - 20/07/2019 08:53:45    2213420

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "How do we know until we see him playing there ? John O Keefe had not played a moment at full back until Mick O Dwyer asked him to play there ,the result of him doing so was stunning, a team of no hopers at the beginning of 1975 became legends It is worth a try and yes I do see him (Sherwood) as a possible shadow to Michael Murphy. We will have to wait and see. All in all should be an interesting weekend I expect Cork to shake Tyrone Mayo to best Meath Kerry should beat Donegal and Dublin to brush aside the Rossies"
They had the entire league and Munster championship to try jack in the middle and they didn't. I just can't see them going there now, I think they see Jack purely as a defensive option.

Anyway it's probably pointless speculating on the team when we all know there will be changes. This is a tricky game for Peter and his team. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I hope all your predictions are right :)

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1394 - 20/07/2019 11:19:40    2213462

Link

If that teams does start, it's a three line of two up front. From the goals back, Geaney and DC inside, Stephen and Seanie in the half forward, Sherwood and Graham between midfield and our half back line, Spillane in its Moran and Crowley on Murphy, Graham is picked to fall back into centre back berth as Crowley will be man to man on the big Donegal man.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3933 - 20/07/2019 11:49:31    2213466

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "If that teams does start, it's a three line of two up front. From the goals back, Geaney and DC inside, Stephen and Seanie in the half forward, Sherwood and Graham between midfield and our half back line, Spillane in its Moran and Crowley on Murphy, Graham is picked to fall back into centre back berth as Crowley will be man to man on the big Donegal man."
Gavin White played as a forward last week and I thought it worked really well. I think he will definitely start and I'd expect to see him used that way again, probably tracking McHugh from the half backs as well when he takes off.

There are a number of way they can set up and it may change even throughout the game.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1394 - 20/07/2019 12:26:37    2213484

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Agree K'boy, I've this one sorted and actually have planned to head to Navan, I've never been to Pairc Taltainn, so this will be a new experience, it reminds me of 2009 and my first trip to Tullamore, I love new grounds there is always something exciting about a new venue.

Anyway really looking forward to this, I suppose it's the gaudy good Jerseys."
Been to Navan for a hurling match, it's a kip lads, Makes Newbridge look like the Nou Camp! Tullamore is a world away, that was a great little ground. Got off the train that morning in 2009, wandering around not knowing what to do until a local beckoned us in to the early house. Had a great few hours drinking before the game, great support that day for us. And then the train back the draw was made, we got Dublin and s huge cheer went up, the rest was history ...

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4636 - 20/07/2019 12:33:08    2213489

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "If that teams does start, it's a three line of two up front. From the goals back, Geaney and DC inside, Stephen and Seanie in the half forward, Sherwood and Graham between midfield and our half back line, Spillane in its Moran and Crowley on Murphy, Graham is picked to fall back into centre back berth as Crowley will be man to man on the big Donegal man."
Ah Horse, i can see what you mean if the team named is actually the starting team. After last week, i cant see anyone but Spillane in the middle with Moran. I feel Jack Sherwood has been very hit or miss lately, havent seen enough of him to really rate him at this point thou. I think with Donegal being without Gallagher in the backs, they may revert more back to the blanket defense to try an nullify the Kerry attack. I think if they go ahead and try to isolate DC, Stephen out on wing could run right up the middle and cause major problems for them. Graham definitely falls back in a sweeper role if, like you say, Crowley goes man Murphy - no easy task for any man though. Think Kerry have a more balanced side this time around and the battle of midfield will dictate how both teams play. To me, Kerry forwards are just that more lethal, and with Donegal being without their main man marker in Gallagher, they will have problems trying to keep the Kerry forwards quiet. Best of luck Kingdom, have been doing everyone proud so far.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 171 - 20/07/2019 12:54:35    2213498

Link