Kerry Forum

So Long Stary Boy

(Oldest Posts First)

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news_detail/10043567/

Just gutted - one of my favourite's of all time can't even imagine Kerry football now without him.
These are the dark days :(

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5060 - 11/09/2018 10:59:25    2140952

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news_detail/10043567/

Just gutted - one of my favourite's of all time can't even imagine Kerry football now without him.
These are the dark days :("
Sad day for Kerry the hermit , the buzz that you'd get when a ball was floating in toward the big man on the edge of the square, those 2 big shovels for hands that he had plucking the ball from the sky and always the perfect decision made.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9723 - 11/09/2018 12:08:41    2140980

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Sad day for Kerry the hermit , the buzz that you'd get when a ball was floating in toward the big man on the edge of the square, those 2 big shovels for hands that he had plucking the ball from the sky and always the perfect decision made."
That day down in Killarney in 2006 when Longford didn't know what hit them - on the Hill as he made a fool of Francie and burst the back of the net - the final rout against Mayo - the devastation on Alan Quirke's face as he wheeled away to leave Cork's All-Ireland's dreams in utter tatters in 07 - the Twin Towers at their awesome best in 09 - the only man to keep fighting against Down in 10 - his brilliant point (perhaps his best ever) in the 11 final which should have earned us the draw - the scenes against Tyrone in 12 - the lay off in the drawn Semi in 14 - the havoc he caused in Limerick a week later - and the poachers goal in the final - the consternation he caused against Dublin when he was FINALLY introduced in 15 and the great lay off to Killian only for his legs to fall from under him and deny us an unlikely chance to win the thing - the battles with AOS in 17 - and of course that super-human set up for Clifford this summer up in Clones.
God, and I've probably forgotten as many moments again in his career.
Has any Kerry player been so instrumental to our success over the course of his career, not many I would wager.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5060 - 11/09/2018 12:29:14    2140993

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "That day down in Killarney in 2006 when Longford didn't know what hit them - on the Hill as he made a fool of Francie and burst the back of the net - the final rout against Mayo - the devastation on Alan Quirke's face as he wheeled away to leave Cork's All-Ireland's dreams in utter tatters in 07 - the Twin Towers at their awesome best in 09 - the only man to keep fighting against Down in 10 - his brilliant point (perhaps his best ever) in the 11 final which should have earned us the draw - the scenes against Tyrone in 12 - the lay off in the drawn Semi in 14 - the havoc he caused in Limerick a week later - and the poachers goal in the final - the consternation he caused against Dublin when he was FINALLY introduced in 15 and the great lay off to Killian only for his legs to fall from under him and deny us an unlikely chance to win the thing - the battles with AOS in 17 - and of course that super-human set up for Clifford this summer up in Clones.
God, and I've probably forgotten as many moments again in his career.
Has any Kerry player been so instrumental to our success over the course of his career, not many I would wager."
Fantastic memories, his partnerships with gooch jod and David Clifford he could work with anyone.

A real team player.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9723 - 11/09/2018 13:01:09    2141001

Link

To say I am glad to see the last of him in a Kerry jersey is the biggest compliment I can give him. Truely a legend of the game.

sinabhuil (Mayo) - Posts: 165 - 11/09/2018 13:07:48    2141003

Link

Great player and a great servant. Cant say I am surprised at this news. Gave everything he had when he put on the Kerry jersey. Would be a great man to bring in to the backroom team in some shape or form.

aidan64 (Kerry) - Posts: 544 - 11/09/2018 13:36:07    2141007

Link

Legend. And a far better footballer than some want to give him credit for there are at least three All Ireland's in kerry that would not have happened without him.

I can't say this was unexpected he was interviewed on the GAA hour a few weeks ago and I knew he was done the way he was talking. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1585 - 11/09/2018 19:58:59    2141086

Link

Star a true legend and a gent too go with the memories will live long. He gave his all for us. So proud too have seen and cheered him on. On many great days

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 467 - 12/09/2018 10:23:34    2141173

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Star a true legend and a gent too go with the memories will live long. He gave his all for us. So proud too have seen and cheered him on. On many great days"
One of my few complaints about Eamonn's tenure was the omission ,I am loathe to say dropping of Kieran from starting 15 in 2015 I would consider Kieran to be one of Kerry's most influential figures over Last 15 years He is right to go now but surely new management will find a role for him vis-a vis new team his influence and know how would be invaluable to likes of Clifford ,Shaw Evan Cronin (watch this guy) Who picked the Minor team of the season ?what criterion did they use?Paul O Shea omitted??! In years to come if Australia does not claim him I see this lad as an even greater potential tha his rightl much vaunted cousin David Clifford He reminds me so much of a young Jack O Shea up and down the field his pass and shot selection already defying his years Again thanks to Eamonn and backroom team context is everything they took over as a great bunch had finished and with a fairly limited bunch kept us interested through 8 fallow years reminiscent of '46-'53 ,62 -'69, '87-'97 How many of the team beaten by Donegal in 2012 played against Kildare in Killarney last month ? It is to be hoped that the pundits from Terrace Talk through to the high stools in our locals afford the next management the gratitude and respect that is their due Sometimes we apply the same or even harsher criticism to amateur players that we mete to professional counterparts in other disciplines We have to accept Dublin are where we once were and hope to be but from our 5 Minor teams backs of the physical stature of Aidan O Mahony Tom O Sullivan Tomás Ò Sè Mike Mc Carthy are sadly lacking and oh for just a shadow of Darragh we WIll be back but not just yet Tá foighneas ag tastáil uainn.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 726 - 12/09/2018 19:37:48    2141294

Link

I suppose in all honesty the time is right to walk but I have so say the big man is irreplaceable in my opinion. There are so many memories and plays that he was involved in, he just had the knack of being in the right place but that's wasn't luck it was an excellent reading of the game. The majority of goals were of his own making. He just made good players better around him. Everyone is stating the 2006 breakthrough year the assists against Longford, the Francie Bellow clash that goal, the assist in Declan's first goal against Mayo and his own fielding and burying of his own shot. Some scores are memorable the 2011 point against Dublin that gets bypassed as we lost, there as a point against Cork in Killarney when the sides were level where he put us ahead. There are numerous assists even up as far as Clifford's in Monaghan.

Still I think his best year apart from 06 was 2014 - that first game was up, he comes in against Mayo in Croker and all of us that day in Croker could see that visibly uneasiness of the Mayo backs and crowd couple of minutes to go unreal catch and feed and suddenly the whole tide changed, the replay in Limerick sharp as you like another goal to the good and that final against Donegal he got the desisive score, just like Cork in 2007 just simpler reading of the game a step ahead a rare commodity that cannot be trained coached.

Off the field an extremely likeable gentleman and I mean a true gent - he often posed for photographs long after some has left the field .

The biggest compliment I can give the man is in years to come the topic of who was better, the Bomber or the Star will be discussed and argued. That and he changed the roll of the full forward similar to how Cluxton has changed the goalkeeper. Thanks Star but I have a feeling we will see him in some capacity on the other side of the white line in the not so distant future.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4163 - 12/09/2018 20:14:42    2141301

Link

Nice interview done with the Examiner today:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/the-kieran-shannon-interview-kieran-donaghy--a-star-undimmed-868900.html

Is he right about the captaincy? Is it time to follow everyone else? Am I the only one who likes tradition and the fact we are our own county when it comes to things like this?
I mean in all honesty is the fact the Narries don't win a county title really an excuse for someone like Moran not being a leader on the field and in the dressing room regardless as who is de facto captain?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5060 - 14/09/2018 11:20:10    2141653

Link

Just listened to Kieran Donagh's interview on Terrace Talk . How refreshing! We all know him for his football and basketball prowess but the interview revealed something of the man .What we saw on the field and court did not just happen hours of dedication and personal sacrifice went into the finished product He underlined 3 things that I firmly believe in
a) importance of support as in 'bums on terraces' stay at hom followers are as useful as a lighthouse in a bog
b) positivity at all times , Pundits from local radio to the infallible,e bar stool critic should appreciate that everyone involved does his/her best. While some August critics are sitting at home by a roaring fire watching something inane like Coronation Street on a cold wet February night the management and players are slogging it out in places like Currans and Banna Strand
c) His unqualified admiration and gratitude to Eamonn Fitzmaurice and his backroom team and recognition that it was not the easiest time to be the holder of what is now becoming a poisoned chalice
What is it that he said '5 year minor successes don't translate into instant senior success' he was 23 when he blasted the famous goal against Armagh .
Yes we will miss a player of his infectious enthusiasm his influence on younger players will be a loss My Last image of him in a Kerry jersey was the second half of the game against Kildare in this year's super 8s He had come off at half time but he did not sit in the stands headin hands no up and down the sideline roaring encouragement to David Clifford Seanie O Shea and others That epetomised the man for me
Looking to the future 2 names for next years U 17 s Dylan O Callaghan and I think it is Dylan?Foley from Kilcummin I appeal to all management knockers listen to the segment of Kieran's interview @ 7 :15 pm
An object lesson on what is involved
Thank you Kieran for your years of sacrifice for our enjoyment and thanks to everyone who ever donned a Kerry Jersey.
Cíarraí Abù

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 726 - 17/09/2018 20:24:55    2142301

Link

I enjoyed the talk he gave the underdogs the other day, was very good.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 18/09/2018 02:09:02    2142340

Link

Can any of ye post the link please yo listem

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4163 - 18/09/2018 09:14:02    2142363

Link

2014 his best year by a country mile - the semi in Limerick was monumental and he went on to score decisive goal in the final that year.
You would have to say he is a future Kerry Bainisteoir at some stage. Terrible pity that he only got 15 mind in the 2015 final.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 11/10/2018 11:09:09    2146051

Link