Down Forum

Can Kilcoo Really Win- And How Will The Ulster Champs Fair In All Ireland

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Not really a football man, but like kilcoo as a club and have a few friends involved over ther. How do the rest of down see the Ulster final going??

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 70 - 25/11/2019 23:33:00    2251455

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "Not really a football man, but like kilcoo as a club and have a few friends involved over ther. How do the rest of down see the Ulster final going??"
Two teams who will not give an inch to each other. Kilcoo have shown brilliant composure throughout the championship, with the low winning margins not really reflecting the level of control they had in many games. They have a serious knack of getting the goal at the right time and deflating the opposition. Also against Derrygonnelly they 'shared' the fouling around a number of players and so kept all their defenders on the field while stopping Derrygonnelly making any inroads.
Glenties were excellent against Clontibret and never looked in danger, and will possess a greater threat from frees than Derrygonnelly so could punish the fouling more. They were solid in defence much like Kilcoo.
They do however have a pair of superior midfielders (no disrespect to the Kilcoo men, Ward was brilliant in the Down SFC) and so Kilcoo must find a way to bypass this section while dealing with any long kickouts to the pair.

But I wouldn't bet either way as it could take a moment of brilliance or a mistake to decide what will be a tight, physical and probably drab game to watch. It'll be low scoring anyway whatever the outcome.

As for the All Ireland, can't see either compete with Ballyboden or Corofin. Corofin showed a similar ability to Kilcoo of grinding out a result against Tuam, and having won the last 2 they know all about winning at this level. Ballyboden have serious quality all over and can play devastating football at times, mixed with the dark arts when necessary.

Haven't seen enough of the Munster teams to really know what level they are at but Nemo are experienced campaigners and so will be hard to beat.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 62 - 26/11/2019 13:44:10    2251550

Link

Good luck to Kilcoo hope it's third time lucky for them. Haven't seen the Donegal champs, so I'm relying on newspaper reports, seems they have a great midfield pairing, and are strong defensively. They also seem to be showing a more attacking edge to their game. Seems as if Kilcoo are up against it, the BBC website was pretty dismissive of Kilcoos win against Derrygonnelly, saying their goalkeeper saved them and only for an off day in free taking the Fermanagh team would have had an easy win. Reporter was obviously not a Kilcoo fan, if Kilcoo show the necessary discipline, no sendings off, fight from first to last minute and don't let the opposition run unopposed down the centre of their defence they could shock that BBC reporter and take home their first Ulster Club title.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 01/12/2019 01:22:42    2252418

Link

Fantastic result for Kilcoo, their first Ulster Senior Club title, won against very worthy opponents. The effort the players and management put in is mighty, no reason they can't go further, they can keep proving certain pundits wrong.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 01/12/2019 15:36:37    2252481

Link

Super result for Kilcoo today ,The better team by a mile ,Also a great lift for Down football, By the way would love to see Darryl in a Down jersey in the summer along with their other county men ,

germac (Down) - Posts: 264 - 01/12/2019 21:28:10    2252564

Link

Fantastic for kilcoo an absolute inspiration of hard work and dedication. And yes I also would love to see alot of their going men representing the county and try and bring down some success, all the very best to them heading into the all Ireland.

How will they fair?

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 70 - 01/12/2019 21:43:43    2252576

Link

They saved their best performance for the biggest occasion. The leadership throughout that team is unbelievable, men stepping up to the plate whenever their team needs them. No panic after conceding the goals, just kept doing what they do. Their 2 goals were great examples of player's awareness and well timed hand passing.
Love them or hate them, you can only admire that performance and what they have now achieved.
The next game will be another step up but I doubt those fellas have any fear in them of other teams.
Surely a boost to Down football in general, but it would be even more so if some of those players got involved in the county set up, with their ability and winning mentality huge assets.
Micky Moran obviously takes huge credit too, his record in Ulster is ridiculous.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 62 - 02/12/2019 10:15:31    2252620

Link

Excellent performance by Kilcoo yesterday. Dara Brannigan was unreal with his surging runs and point taking. Great effort by Glenties as well, but the better team won on the day. I hope Kilcoo doesn't settle with just Ulster as they can give any remaining team a good test.

doubletree (Dublin) - Posts: 157 - 02/12/2019 21:28:45    2252811

Link

Good luck to Kilcoo in the All Ireland semi final!

doubletree (Dublin) - Posts: 157 - 01/01/2020 15:18:05    2256745

Link

Good luck to Kilcoo, big test today.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 04/01/2020 15:32:08    2257299

Link

Well done to Kilcoo, players, management and fans. Don't stop now, keep working, and the best is yet to come. You've given a lift to yourselves and Down football.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 04/01/2020 17:10:11    2257322

Link

They our getting better with every game, they completey out played ballyboden all over the field.
Wherever you our paddy tally get yourself a tent and camp outside the brannigan household and don't leave until they agree to put on the red and black.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 485 - 05/01/2020 12:10:34    2257479

Link

How many of that kilcoo team are on the down squad?? And how many should get the call up cause there are some serious players on that team and any of them would improve the country for the better. Anyone know

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 70 - 05/01/2020 23:38:34    2257646

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "How many of that kilcoo team are on the down squad?? And how many should get the call up cause there are some serious players on that team and any of them would improve the country for the better. Anyone know"
Choc must be near 50 still walk in that down team play where he wants never Mind other 4 lads

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 06/01/2020 16:20:36    2257800

Link

Massive congrats to Kilcoo on their latest victory.
Only one more now and ye will be legend forever.

Don't forget you aren't just representing your club.
You're representing the county of Down and every other county in Ulster.

On a personal note I don't think I've ever lost to a team in a massive game and left happy for the other team.
Theres no crap with Kilcoo which I loved and I really hope ye do it in two weeks time.

#UTM

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 314 - 07/01/2020 10:36:42    2257913

Link

Corofin +8 , David v Goliath and Goliath wins handy

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 16/01/2020 17:56:28    2260274

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Corofin +8 , David v Goliath and Goliath wins handy"
Im watching football long enough to know on the odd occasion , wee David hits Goliath a serious kick on the stones and down the big fella goes, we will wait and see

germac (Down) - Posts: 264 - 16/01/2020 21:46:36    2260336

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Massive congrats to Kilcoo on their latest victory.
Only one more now and ye will be legend forever.

Don't forget you aren't just representing your club.
You're representing the county of Down and every other county in Ulster.

On a personal note I don't think I've ever lost to a team in a massive game and left happy for the other team.
Theres no crap with Kilcoo which I loved and I really hope ye do it in two weeks time.

#UTM "
Some would beg to differ about the "no crap" part....

Kilcoo have been improving each game and it would be foolish to write them off. At odds of 10/3 they are surely worth a little punt. Would be great to see a Down team win a national football title, been a long time coming.

Those Corofin men are something else, 3 All Ireland finals in a row would take some serious sacrifice and huge effort on their part so fair play to them for remaining so focused on their club. Not to mention their actual football ability which has been a joy to watch for the last few years.

Hopefully the 2 teams play a positive game and it lives up to what an All Ireland final should be for all of us watching.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 62 - 17/01/2020 13:09:34    2260446

Link

Let's go Kilcoo! UTM

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1379 - 19/01/2020 15:17:20    2260766

Link

Replying To Suas Sios:  "Let's go Kilcoo! UTM"
Kilcoo didnt back themselves and their own game. They went out to stop Corofin by packing their defence but by doing that they were never going to score enough to win. Lots of teams have been close to Corofin in the closing stages of games and have all ended up like Kilcoo. Dr Crokes beat Corofin by attacking them from all angles. The Ref did all he could for you by playing 11 mins injury time in the first half when he should have played 5!

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 19/01/2020 20:59:01    2260926

Link