Down Forum

Hurling Plans For 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There was a couple of interesting meetings in the past week about what will happen in 2020.

Last week at a meeting in Liatroim it was agreed that Liatroim will be dropping down to play Junior Championship next year.
Why did the other clubs vote for this? Its like unionist farmers voting for BREXIT !

At another meeting last night it was agreed that the under age group will be u13, u15 and u17 for next year. Football is going the same way. Feile will stay u14.

I'm not sure how either of these decisions will do anything to sustain or improve hurling in the county. Can anybody enlighten me?

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1067 - 31/10/2019 10:25:46    2246732

Link

u13/15/17 disaster

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 259 - 31/10/2019 14:01:29    2246801

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "u13/15/17 disaster"
CB have no say in that. That's a directive from Croke Park.

Every county will be doing the same.

How can Liatroim go from Senior one year to Junior the next? I was looking odds in Toals for them to beat Ballygalget next year. GAL GET not keen on giving me odds.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 31/10/2019 16:03:52    2246839

Link

Why the drop to junior?surley intermediate would be best suited

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 334 - 31/10/2019 16:59:57    2246853

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Why the drop to junior?surley intermediate would be best suited"
You'd have thought intermediate would be the way to go stick at it put the hard work in and maybe give senior ago in the near future back to the 3 clubs again

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 102 - 31/10/2019 18:39:14    2246868

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "You'd have thought intermediate would be the way to go stick at it put the hard work in and maybe give senior ago in the near future back to the 3 clubs again"
And therein lies the issue and why the likes of Liatroim will always struggle to bridge the gap into senior hurling.

Defeatist mentality.

Sad really but what can you do?

Senior hurling is no quick fix. The hard work needs to be done at juvenile on a consistent and prolonged basis and worked up from there.
For every good juvenile hurling team to come out of Liatroim there's nothing for three or four years. I'm not talking about poor teams, I mean nothing at all.

Even a poor team will provide one or two senior prospects.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 01/11/2019 11:10:30    2246957

Link

Cant understand why lietrom want to drop to juniors, for years it was promote, promote, promote hurling in south down, has the co board changed this policy? They musta , cos why else would they allow leitrom do this?

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 04/11/2019 10:36:25    2247601

Link

Replying To cahill:  "Cant understand why lietrom want to drop to juniors, for years it was promote, promote, promote hurling in south down, has the co board changed this policy? They musta , cos why else would they allow leitrom do this?"
To be fair Cahill I don't think the county board have sanctioned anything.....hard to see the CCC agreeing to this to be honest and that is who would have to agree as clubs can't simply regrade themselves. Also has there been anything official on this as surprised the Liatriom players would want to do this.

Ulster have created these type of scenarios though with their treatment of the ulster competitions, Coleraine were in an all Ireland junior final only three years ago and yet are back playing in an Ulster junior final on Saturday again.....our structures should encourage clubs to try progress but the advent of provincial titles at junior and intermediate is encouraging all sorts of shenanigans.....sure Gort na Mona did same won Antrim in 2017 got beat in Ulster semi final ( made no effort to stay intermediate lady year) then breezed through Antrim at junior again this year to chase another ulster title.

I know one thing for us we won't be regrading junior again anytime soon unless the county force us to....we aren't great but we will make an effort to be the best we can...pretty certain most of the Liatriom players would feel exactly the same

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 04/11/2019 11:47:35    2247622

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "CB have no say in that. That's a directive from Croke Park.

Every county will be doing the same.

How can Liatroim go from Senior one year to Junior the next? I was looking odds in Toals for them to beat Ballygalget next year. GAL GET not keen on giving me odds."
Edit, Antrim aren't moving to odd age groups and that's going to complicate things with Down clubs entering underage teams in Antrim but if they can manage it then might be a good thing in the round.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 04/11/2019 13:13:29    2247651

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "To be fair Cahill I don't think the county board have sanctioned anything.....hard to see the CCC agreeing to this to be honest and that is who would have to agree as clubs can't simply regrade themselves. Also has there been anything official on this as surprised the Liatriom players would want to do this.

Ulster have created these type of scenarios though with their treatment of the ulster competitions, Coleraine were in an all Ireland junior final only three years ago and yet are back playing in an Ulster junior final on Saturday again.....our structures should encourage clubs to try progress but the advent of provincial titles at junior and intermediate is encouraging all sorts of shenanigans.....sure Gort na Mona did same won Antrim in 2017 got beat in Ulster semi final ( made no effort to stay intermediate lady year) then breezed through Antrim at junior again this year to chase another ulster title.

I know one thing for us we won't be regrading junior again anytime soon unless the county force us to....we aren't great but we will make an effort to be the best we can...pretty certain most of the Liatriom players would feel exactly the same"
The problem isn't Coleraine though I do understand why u r trying to shed them in bad light. The problem is at the senior end in Derry. Where u enter senior championship but yet can qualify for Ulster intermediate, therfore knocking intermediate teams down to junior. Imagine if we hady got to go play Ulster intermediate once we were bet in Down. There would be uproar. Yet big Derry clubs like Lavey, Swatragh & Bannaghar all getting to drop into it and every one of them a bigger club than anything down here. How are these Derry clubs allowed to do this? How long before these clubs start targeting intermediate because they know they aren't strong enough for slaughtneil? Someone needs to tell Derry to wise up

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 04/11/2019 13:26:42    2247653

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "The problem isn't Coleraine though I do understand why u r trying to shed them in bad light. The problem is at the senior end in Derry. Where u enter senior championship but yet can qualify for Ulster intermediate, therfore knocking intermediate teams down to junior. Imagine if we hady got to go play Ulster intermediate once we were bet in Down. There would be uproar. Yet big Derry clubs like Lavey, Swatragh & Bannaghar all getting to drop into it and every one of them a bigger club than anything down here. How are these Derry clubs allowed to do this? How long before these clubs start targeting intermediate because they know they aren't strong enough for slaughtneil? Someone needs to tell Derry to wise up"
Nobody shedding anyone in a bad light, it's the facts.....a team that was in an all Ireland junior final only three years ago is back playing that grade again, that's a joke and whether it be the way Derry set up their championship or clubs deliberately making no effort to progress hence being able to slip back into a lower grade, it is a bit of a farce

What will be will be on Saturday, we will give it our best shot and see where that takes us ....but ulster needs to sort it out with some counties before the whole provincial championship becomes a farce (bar at senior)...,

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 04/11/2019 14:34:04    2247671

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Nobody shedding anyone in a bad light, it's the facts.....a team that was in an all Ireland junior final only three years ago is back playing that grade again, that's a joke and whether it be the way Derry set up their championship or clubs deliberately making no effort to progress hence being able to slip back into a lower grade, it is a bit of a farce

What will be will be on Saturday, we will give it our best shot and see where that takes us ....but ulster needs to sort it out with some counties before the whole provincial championship becomes a farce (bar at senior)...,"
Entirely right Paudie, at least Down do it in a fair manner and give all clubs a crack at winning something at their level.

Derry ones tell me there's only 6 clubs in Derry hence the way they grade it which I can see their internal logic in but its a skewed playing field come Ulster.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 04/11/2019 14:54:48    2247673

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Entirely right Paudie, at least Down do it in a fair manner and give all clubs a crack at winning something at their level.

Derry ones tell me there's only 6 clubs in Derry hence the way they grade it which I can see their internal logic in but its a skewed playing field come Ulster."
Ever been to a Derry championship game?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 04/11/2019 16:58:42    2247709

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Nobody shedding anyone in a bad light, it's the facts.....a team that was in an all Ireland junior final only three years ago is back playing that grade again, that's a joke and whether it be the way Derry set up their championship or clubs deliberately making no effort to progress hence being able to slip back into a lower grade, it is a bit of a farce

What will be will be on Saturday, we will give it our best shot and see where that takes us ....but ulster needs to sort it out with some counties before the whole provincial championship becomes a farce (bar at senior)...,"
How many Coleraine lads have played intercounty in last 5 years? But Shamrocks must have about 6 or 7 do they not? So who is the real junior team here?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 05/11/2019 09:59:50    2247837

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "How many Coleraine lads have played intercounty in last 5 years? But Shamrocks must have about 6 or 7 do they not? So who is the real junior team here?"
You really should get some pollyfilla for that chip on the shoulder......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 05/11/2019 10:29:24    2247845

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "Ever been to a Derry championship game?"
No, not in a long time.

What is the bearing on whether I've attended one or not on how Derry structure their hurling championships?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 05/11/2019 10:42:59    2247852

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "You really should get some pollyfilla for that chip on the shoulder......"
So the statement isn't true?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 05/11/2019 11:05:04    2247859

Link

it seems to me that all teams across the ocean there in south down want te play junior hurling.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 26/11/2019 14:09:28    2251553

Link

This thread is full of inaccuracies.

There are 8 clubs.

Slaughtneil, Lynches, banagher, screen,lavey, swatragh, na magha, coleraine

Derry club have never won Ulster intermediate despite now being in 3rd year of new format. So not sure how we are cheating.

See the year Bredagh beat us in Ulster junior final(2012) they had played senior league in 2011, Down went senior and junior championship only in 2012 and they played junior. No intermediate that year in Down. So you will get this kind of stuff all over.

Coleraine have 8 intercounty footballers on their team and at least the same amount at at hurling inter county standard. They probably are not junior level in Ulster.

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 259 - 27/11/2019 13:23:21    2251786

Link

"See the year Bredagh beat us in Ulster junior final(2012) they had played senior league in 2011"

Where?

There is no senior league in Down

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 29/11/2019 11:40:33    2252076

Link