Wicklow Forum

SFC

(Oldest Posts First)

First round over. What are your thoughts?

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 10 - 10/07/2019 12:23:03    2208990

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "First round over. What are your thoughts?"
First thing springs to mind is that the Dales made some statement at the weekend. Other results were along expected lines. Will Balto struggle to qualify ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 108 - 10/07/2019 20:19:46    2209235

Link

Based on the first round of games we are in for a very interesting championship! No team looks unbeatable and every team looks capable of taking a scalp!

I don't know if the stronger teams have become weaker or the weaker teams have become stronger but hell, if it makes for a great championship I don't care!

wondershorts (Wicklow) - Posts: 283 - 10/07/2019 20:30:45    2209239

Link

Ye I had Baltinglass down as favorites to win the SFC especially when they walked through the u20 championship. Avondales last match was a loss to Dunlavin in division 1A so I didn't see them beating Balto specially in the manner they did,
St Pats for Senior
Carnew for Inter
Shillelagh Coolboy for Junior

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 46 - 12/07/2019 10:28:27    2209837

Link

After the first round of championship games, I fancy
Football
Senior : St Pats
Inter : Dunlavin
Junior : Valleymount

Hurling
Senior : Bray
Inter : Carnew

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 120 - 13/07/2019 11:36:34    2210233

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "After the first round of championship games, I fancy
Football
Senior : St Pats
Inter : Dunlavin
Junior : Valleymount

Hurling
Senior : Bray
Inter : Carnew"
My selection after the first is to agree on each case with Brollyboy. Glenealy haven't peaked yet but Bray look very sharp this year.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 108 - 14/07/2019 12:21:50    2210633

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "My selection after the first is to agree on each case with Brollyboy. Glenealy haven't peaked yet but Bray look very sharp this year."
Was in Aughrim this evening. Glenealy still not quite firing or at full strength and pulled back a fair lead to win. Not so sure if it's Brays year or not after that.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 108 - 15/07/2019 22:28:15    2211651

Link

I don't see much club football in the county presently but I have a question. Is there a club team in the county capable of competing for a Leinster club final\title like clubs were doing in the 90s/early 2000s? or has the standard evened out whereby the likes of Rathnew and Baltinglass are now in a mediocre pack where they are alongside 4-5 other average teams who win a county title but are only capable of winning a first round of the leinster club championship at best - is this a fair assessment?

With all the talk in recent months around the criticism of the county board and to a certain degree the county manager; I believe from looking at the club scene from the outside in that the high standards of club football that existed when clubs from the county were respected and feared in the leinster championship has long since faded and that this may be also a reason as to why the county team is struggling so much but I would like to hear from people who watch the club scene on a regular basis and what they think? I would appreciate if people could put their biases against one club or another aside.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1001 - 17/07/2019 08:08:08    2212186

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I don't see much club football in the county presently but I have a question. Is there a club team in the county capable of competing for a Leinster club final\title like clubs were doing in the 90s/early 2000s? or has the standard evened out whereby the likes of Rathnew and Baltinglass are now in a mediocre pack where they are alongside 4-5 other average teams who win a county title but are only capable of winning a first round of the leinster club championship at best - is this a fair assessment?

With all the talk in recent months around the criticism of the county board and to a certain degree the county manager; I believe from looking at the club scene from the outside in that the high standards of club football that existed when clubs from the county were respected and feared in the leinster championship has long since faded and that this may be also a reason as to why the county team is struggling so much but I would like to hear from people who watch the club scene on a regular basis and what they think? I would appreciate if people could put their biases against one club or another aside."
Baltinglass, St Pats, Rathnew are the only realistic winners of the Wicklow SFC in recent history. These clubs are likely to be on on par with the winners of Wexford, Louth and Carlow and maybe Offaly which is usually Rhode. Longford (Mullinalaghta) Laois (Portlaoise) Dublin, Meath, Westmeath ( for example St Lomas), Kildare (for example Moorefield) would all beat our clubs 9 times out of ten. I realise that Rathnew beat St Vincents but all the stars lined up for a combative Rathnew team (who lost the next round) against a team reliant on an out - of sorts Diarmuid Connolly.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 46 - 17/07/2019 16:35:00    2212415

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "Baltinglass, St Pats, Rathnew are the only realistic winners of the Wicklow SFC in recent history. These clubs are likely to be on on par with the winners of Wexford, Louth and Carlow and maybe Offaly which is usually Rhode. Longford (Mullinalaghta) Laois (Portlaoise) Dublin, Meath, Westmeath ( for example St Lomas), Kildare (for example Moorefield) would all beat our clubs 9 times out of ten. I realise that Rathnew beat St Vincents but all the stars lined up for a combative Rathnew team (who lost the next round) against a team reliant on an out - of sorts Diarmuid Connolly."
I am wondering if the "dumbing down" of our various championships might have anything to do with the decline in the standard at all levels. Except for recent u17 performances, that is. By that I mean this continual rejigging of the championships from knockout, to groups with losers groups and on to round robin tournaments. Ok, every team is guaranteed a given number of games but the stronger ones have an obvious advantage here in that they only need to finish in the top three to stay in. I am probably wrong in this but there is no arguing with the fact that our senior champions are no longer competitive in Leinster. Maybe this is just another symptom of the overall decline of Gaelic games in our county. No doubt I will take stick for saying this, particularly from the hurling people but it is easy to live in cloud cuckoo land. I was at an intermediate hurling match recently between one of the competitions favourites and a much weaker side and all I can say is that the standard was dire. I suppose it comes back to pinning our hopes on the strides being made at juvenile level.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 108 - 17/07/2019 20:23:23    2212520

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "Baltinglass, St Pats, Rathnew are the only realistic winners of the Wicklow SFC in recent history. These clubs are likely to be on on par with the winners of Wexford, Louth and Carlow and maybe Offaly which is usually Rhode. Longford (Mullinalaghta) Laois (Portlaoise) Dublin, Meath, Westmeath ( for example St Lomas), Kildare (for example Moorefield) would all beat our clubs 9 times out of ten. I realise that Rathnew beat St Vincents but all the stars lined up for a combative Rathnew team (who lost the next round) against a team reliant on an out - of sorts Diarmuid Connolly."
I am wondering if the "dumbing down" of our various championships might have anything to do with the decline in the standard at all levels. Except for recent u17 performances, that is. By that I mean this continual rejigging of the championships from knockout, to groups with losers groups and on to round robin tournaments. Ok, every team is guaranteed a given number of games but the stronger ones have an obvious advantage here in that they only need to finish in the top three to stay in. I am probably wrong in this but there is no arguing with the fact that our senior champions are no longer competitive in Leinster. Maybe this is just another symptom of the overall decline of Gaelic games in our county. No doubt I will take stick for saying this, particularly from the hurling people but it is easy to live in cloud cuckoo land. I was at an intermediate hurling match recently between one of the competitions favourites and a much weaker side and all I can say is that the standard was dire. I suppose it comes back to pinning our hopes on the strides being made at juvenile level.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 108 - 17/07/2019 20:23:35    2212521

Link

The reason I am asking about the standard at club level is this: if the problem with our senior county teams was down to the county board and the county managers solely then this would only affect the county teams and not the clubs but as has been pointed out, our top 3 clubs over recent years are not faring too well in the club championship. I agree with the point that rathnew's win over vincents while a great result, it was an anomlie. The clubs should be doing better as the standard in leinster in recent years is not as high as previously. Also, I drive through the county of kildare a lot and there are signs erected by gaa clubs encourage children to turn up for training on weekend, I haven't seen any such sign driving through wicklow - am I being unfair in this assertion? There needs to be a shakeup at club level in wicklow; the top clubs are in their comfort zone and are happy with the status quo. Equally clubs are happy to stand behind the county board and let them take the flak for poor county performances but it is the clubs who are failing to produce the players capable of competing; it seems.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1001 - 17/07/2019 21:20:05    2212544

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "The reason I am asking about the standard at club level is this: if the problem with our senior county teams was down to the county board and the county managers solely then this would only affect the county teams and not the clubs but as has been pointed out, our top 3 clubs over recent years are not faring too well in the club championship. I agree with the point that rathnew's win over vincents while a great result, it was an anomlie. The clubs should be doing better as the standard in leinster in recent years is not as high as previously. Also, I drive through the county of kildare a lot and there are signs erected by gaa clubs encourage children to turn up for training on weekend, I haven't seen any such sign driving through wicklow - am I being unfair in this assertion? There needs to be a shakeup at club level in wicklow; the top clubs are in their comfort zone and are happy with the status quo. Equally clubs are happy to stand behind the county board and let them take the flak for poor county performances but it is the clubs who are failing to produce the players capable of competing; it seems."
You could be right. I think a lot of clubs in the smaller clubs are down playing numbers and amalgamating. Shillelagh/ Coolboy and Lackan/ Kilbride for example.

I am more familiar with West Wicklow and I forsee Kiltegan and Hollywood struggling over the next few years, Stratford have already started to decline and may drop down to Junior soon. Donard and Valleymount have remained the same, Intermediate & junior A year after year without setting the world alight. Even the the bigger towns over here like Blessington, Dunlavin, Baltinglass have big squads of fairly good players without producing many exceptional county standard footballers.

Not sure bout the far side but Eire Og and Bray seem to have a big turnover of players.. aside from a few familiar faces the remainder of the team changes from year to year.

I would imagine last years winners St Pats would be a middle of the road senior team in most other counties.

Having said all that I would commend Dunlavin Blessington Arklow Rathnew Baltinglass and St Pats for producing good young players year after year. Not many make it as established senior intercounty players capable of competing with Meathe Kildare however.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 46 - 19/07/2019 15:46:16    2213208

Link

Anyone catch a glimpse of what James Stafford was sent off for in Rathnew v AGB last night? Seemed very innocuous to me. Maybe someone else can shed a bit of light on it. Then again, doesn't surprise me with the standard of officiating again this year. County Board should let the few good referees that are in the county do the senior games.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 189 - 22/07/2019 14:38:23    2214740

Link

No didn't hear what the sending off was for. Baltinglass in big trouble now with St Patricks still to play. Didn't see Blessington beating them as I thought Balto would come out fighting. On paper they look even stronger this year than recent years.. maybe too many younger players? Anyone at the game?

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 46 - 23/07/2019 11:32:32    2215174

Link