Wicklow Forum

SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i think the game should have been decided yesterday . the same thing could happen like last year . penaltys and sudden death should be played to get a winner . wicklow have made another mistake

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 157 - 30/09/2019 18:22:48    2240422

Link

My club made a semi final this year and we were well aware before the game of the rules and regulations. Our county chairman was not at our game so what way were events to unfold?
How can they say that the decision was made yesterday to stop the penalties after 5 each were taken? What was to happen if Arklow or Blesso had won on penalties during the 10 taken shots?
Is this chairman's legacy only going to be that he stopped the penalties because he has done shag all else. Lets all have a laugh at Wicklows expense again.
Arklow will win the replay by 4. Blesso got the rub of the green with almost every decision yesterday. Red cards, square ball goals and disallowed points all in their favour must have Arklow wondering but they stood tall and deserved the replay. If they get their players back that were sent off they will be happy.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 30/09/2019 22:19:38    2240471

Link

It was the wrong decision to stop the penalties, there should have been a winner on the day. Whichever team comes through it will struggle now with the closer turnaround to the final. The replay is fixed for the middle of the day on Saturday.
Blesso Jun A team now have to play Valleymount in their championship semi final at 11am saturday morning. Why not have it as a big double header in Balto on Sunday instead?

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - Posts: 120 - 01/10/2019 13:16:23    2240614

Link

Replying To hardybuck28:  "It was the wrong decision to stop the penalties, there should have been a winner on the day. Whichever team comes through it will struggle now with the closer turnaround to the final. The replay is fixed for the middle of the day on Saturday.
Blesso Jun A team now have to play Valleymount in their championship semi final at 11am saturday morning. Why not have it as a big double header in Balto on Sunday instead?"
Agree with all that. County made fool of itself last sunday. If it didnt have to be finished in the day then why have penalties at all ???? Stupid way to finish a gaelic match butt if no time for replay fair enough but then it turns out there is time for replay so why start the stupid penos???

replay defo should be brought to the west. Play in Balto.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 01/10/2019 17:29:42    2240714

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Agree with all that. County made fool of itself last sunday. If it didnt have to be finished in the day then why have penalties at all ???? Stupid way to finish a gaelic match butt if no time for replay fair enough but then it turns out there is time for replay so why start the stupid penos???

replay defo should be brought to the west. Play in Balto."
Calm down lads, remember who are running the show here . If there is a right way and wrong way to go about something, no medals for guessing which way our great and good will go. A double header with the game in Baltinglass would seem like common sense to me. But then, who knows what inner workings or influences might be at play here??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 218 - 01/10/2019 18:07:58    2240726

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Calm down lads, remember who are running the show here . If there is a right way and wrong way to go about something, no medals for guessing which way our great and good will go. A double header with the game in Baltinglass would seem like common sense to me. But then, who knows what inner workings or influences might be at play here??"
Well said. There is far more going on than meets the eye.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 01/10/2019 21:49:15    2240779

Link

Replay moved to Balto. tomorrow

Proper order

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 04/10/2019 21:38:01    2241415

Link

Congrats to AGB yesterday on qualifying for their first final. Great achievement. 2 tough battles against a Blesso team who have just not got what it takes to cross the line.

St Pats will be hot favorites and rightly so. They are the reigning champs with too much for Agb.
Casey O Briens men are head and shoulders above anyone in Wicklow and will probably challenge the best in Leinster.

liamy. (Wicklow) - Posts: 140 - 06/10/2019 09:36:12    2241568

Link

Replying To liamy.:  "Congrats to AGB yesterday on qualifying for their first final. Great achievement. 2 tough battles against a Blesso team who have just not got what it takes to cross the line.

St Pats will be hot favorites and rightly so. They are the reigning champs with too much for Agb.
Casey O Briens men are head and shoulders above anyone in Wicklow and will probably challenge the best in Leinster."
Let's hope you are right on that last point, Liamy. Providing that Pats get there -which isn't guaranteed- it would be a great boost if the Wicklow champions started reasserting themselves again and begin getting back to where we were for years, a team that nobody took for granted. Leinster is a step up but I have no doubt that Pats will have the experience to make their mark.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 218 - 06/10/2019 12:31:12    2241584

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Let's hope you are right on that last point, Liamy. Providing that Pats get there -which isn't guaranteed- it would be a great boost if the Wicklow champions started reasserting themselves again and begin getting back to where we were for years, a team that nobody took for granted. Leinster is a step up but I have no doubt that Pats will have the experience to make their mark."
Freethinker your assessment is correct in my opinion. Gone are the days when the Wicklow champions could rub shoulders with the best Leinster had to offer. St Patricks will be too good for Arklow but that's where it ends for them.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 06/10/2019 22:18:14    2241678

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "Freethinker your assessment is correct in my opinion. Gone are the days when the Wicklow champions could rub shoulders with the best Leinster had to offer. St Patricks will be too good for Arklow but that's where it ends for them."
Looking back over the stats, from 1984 when Tinahely got to the final to 2001 when Rathnew won it we had been in 5. Tinahely, Balto twice (winning 1 on their way to the AllIteland) An Tochar 1 and Rathnew winning. I think one of the Balto ones and An Tochars were draws. If memory serves Kiltegan got to a semi. I'm not sure if Balto might have got to another semi. Rathnew certainly were a handful for other teams during this time. That was all in a 17 yr period and for the last 17 yrs it has been pretty early exits although last year was a disgrace the way Pats were forced to play. Maybe this year will be different ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 218 - 07/10/2019 09:34:23    2241721

Link

I hadn't been to the wicklow county final for a number of years until today. I went today to see if there was any new talent among the finalists and while I didn't expect the standard to be the best in ireland; i couldn't believe how poor the standard was. Lack of strength in the tackle, poor basic skills like passing and handling, slow laborious buildup play and poor shot taking. Pats won't need to worry about a run in the leinster championship. There is a lot of work to be done at club and development squad around coaching starting with the basic if wicklow club and county want to produce better players. Our days for being feared in the leinster club championship is long gone and won't be back anytime soon. I wish that there were some positives to report.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1085 - 13/10/2019 20:25:42    2243225

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I hadn't been to the wicklow county final for a number of years until today. I went today to see if there was any new talent among the finalists and while I didn't expect the standard to be the best in ireland; i couldn't believe how poor the standard was. Lack of strength in the tackle, poor basic skills like passing and handling, slow laborious buildup play and poor shot taking. Pats won't need to worry about a run in the leinster championship. There is a lot of work to be done at club and development squad around coaching starting with the basic if wicklow club and county want to produce better players. Our days for being feared in the leinster club championship is long gone and won't be back anytime soon. I wish that there were some positives to report."
I doubt you'll be missed if you don't go to any more finals.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2442 - 13/10/2019 21:38:08    2243244

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "I doubt you'll be missed if you don't go to any more finals."
That's a bit harsh and hardly warranted. We try to keep things civil on this site, which it mostly is. I can say that I felt the same way after the match. County finals can often be close tight affairs with but this one took the biscuit for a lack of the basic skills. Shooting from both sides was woeful. Pats missed about 5 goals. Possibly AGB did well for a first senior final but that's about it. Pats has 3 of their best players yellow carded in the first few minutes and lost Earls which may have affected their gameplan. Still, like a staunch Rathnew used to say ( When Miley comes back home to the Village, nobody cares about the quality of the game). Pats won't worry about it tonight and fair play to them. Keep up those well informed posts Wicklowsupport. Most forward thinking football supporters agree with you.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 218 - 14/10/2019 00:40:18    2243267

Link

Of course Pats won't worry about the quality; finals are for winning which they managed and good luck to them in the leinster championship. I was looking at it from a new county manager's point of view and the potential of players that might be available to help the new manager gain promotion but I couldn't name one player for the reasons outlined. I was recently at club games in another leinster county and difference between what I saw yesterday both individually and collectively is well behind the standards in the strong leinster counties. Clubs need to get young children mastering the basic skills of Gaelic football. Tactics and conditioning can come later.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1085 - 14/10/2019 10:17:24    2243309

Link

Icehonesty, I'm not sure where you're coming from with your comment; maybe you could be more specific as to what you mean and we can debate it. Cheap shots are just that, cheap.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1085 - 14/10/2019 10:21:24    2243316

Link

I don't think the final was reflective of the overall championship. Finals are there to be won and with the added pressure they can be cagey affairs. Pats play defensive and smoother teams before hitting them on the counter attack. No doubt they have been the best team over the last 2 years and worthy champions. AGB did well yesterday but played within themselves (completely understandable for their first final in so many years). If they went at Pats like they did to Blessington then Miley could have been in Arklow this morning.

Great to see Dunlavin come up to senior grade. I definitely think they will add to the championship next year.

With Pats the team to beat, AGB constantly improving, Blessington and Avondale making great strides this year, Balto will be back, what have Rathnew left in the tank, Tinahely and Dunlavin will fancy a shot at any team... club football is not in a bad place in Wicklow, not all is doom and gloom. Roll on 2020.

wondershorts (Wicklow) - Posts: 285 - 14/10/2019 12:47:36    2243377

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "Of course Pats won't worry about the quality; finals are for winning which they managed and good luck to them in the leinster championship. I was looking at it from a new county manager's point of view and the potential of players that might be available to help the new manager gain promotion but I couldn't name one player for the reasons outlined. I was recently at club games in another leinster county and difference between what I saw yesterday both individually and collectively is well behind the standards in the strong leinster counties. Clubs need to get young children mastering the basic skills of Gaelic football. Tactics and conditioning can come later."
Square ball stop will you everyone knows you are and wick low support and your new name free thinker are all the same person.

I toild you before this is a sign of madness.

The games you wereat recently were In Kildate we know that thanks to freethinker !!

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 14/10/2019 13:28:34    2243392

Link

Replying To wondershorts:  "I don't think the final was reflective of the overall championship. Finals are there to be won and with the added pressure they can be cagey affairs. Pats play defensive and smoother teams before hitting them on the counter attack. No doubt they have been the best team over the last 2 years and worthy champions. AGB did well yesterday but played within themselves (completely understandable for their first final in so many years). If they went at Pats like they did to Blessington then Miley could have been in Arklow this morning.

Great to see Dunlavin come up to senior grade. I definitely think they will add to the championship next year.

With Pats the team to beat, AGB constantly improving, Blessington and Avondale making great strides this year, Balto will be back, what have Rathnew left in the tank, Tinahely and Dunlavin will fancy a shot at any team... club football is not in a bad place in Wicklow, not all is doom and gloom. Roll on 2020."
Blesso are gone for a generation after that defeat to Arklow. Wont be contenders at all next few years . Serious damage done.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 342 - 14/10/2019 13:30:18    2243395

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Square ball stop will you everyone knows you are and wick low support and your new name free thinker are all the same person.

I toild you before this is a sign of madness.

The games you wereat recently were In Kildate we know that thanks to freethinker !!"
Conspiracy theories now PM ?? I can assure you and anyone else who just might be interested that I am most certainly only the guy logged in as Freethinker and absolutely nobody else. I can assure you that even though I am close to the "departure lounge", I am far too busy to get involved in any other shenanigans. I come on here because it pains me to see the state that Gaelic games in my native county have been led into, and that's just during my lifetime. I try to start debates and discussions to see if it's possible to prod the sleeping giant that is Wicklow Gaelic Games into life. Not very successfully, I might add. I saw some of our great and glorious again in Aughrim on Sunday. I think we shortly will need a fleet of those golf buggies to get them around the pitch. As I said in an earlier post, just watch the upcoming convention and then tell me I am wrong.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 218 - 14/10/2019 15:12:03    2243432

Link