JBC; Rathnew to win

thelastgael (Wicklow) - Posts: 320 - 05/08/2019 13:39:01    2221106

Link

Replying To thelastgael:  "SFC; Rathnew to win, Eire Og relegated
IFC; Dunlavin to win, Rathnew relegated
JAC; Shilleagh/Coolboy, Eire Og relegated
JBC; Rathnew to win"
I think St Pats for senior.
Rathnew are just getting over teams with a renewed squad but I think this year and maybe next might come too soon for them. Can't figure what has happened to Balto. The Dales have faltered a bit and Blesso are - well - Blesso. Arklow and Tinahely have maybe levelled off without really stepping up. Bray are blowing hot and cold, as ever. Hollywood to go down

Intermediate. Dunlavin with Eire Og Down

JA. Valley mount to win.

JB. Rathnew to win.

Rathnew seem to have mastered the promotion and relegation system pretty well so they will always be in the running for every divisional honours.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 223 - 05/08/2019 14:34:55    2221138

Link

Bit of a shambles in Aughrim on Saturday. An injured player lying on the ground for ages with no ambulance present at the ground or even the Order of Malta. When will we ever have a functioning county board? All the top officials were worried about was making sure nobody was going to get a free entry if Saint Patricks and Avondale had to change date. Sometime I'm shocked at how bad we can be in Wicklow all round but if its funny for those in charge to stand around laughing and joking when one of their best servants the past few years is on the ground in serious pain we are totally gone as a county.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 05/08/2019 23:06:31    2221376

Link

That is a terrible scenario for one of the county players I greatly admire for his skill and athleticism on the field of play. Teams should now make a stance witth the county board and refuse to take to the field unless an authorised medical unit is present. It is all about responsibility and a duty of care. That situation displays pure negligence. It harks back to the dark day that some posters may remember when young Hennessey from Blessington got a serious leg injury and eventually had to be removed from the pitch using a door that had to be removed from its hinges. Disgraceful but it just shows that we havent moved out of the dark ages. I would have to say not only is it a shambles but pure incompetence and a total disrespect for the welfare of players and patrons. Clubs now have the opportunity to change things or are they about to sit on their hands again and do nothing. No wonder players and supporters are walking away from Wicklow gaa.
I send the injured player my best wishes for a full recovery. I hope you and your club receive at the very least a written apology from the county board but that is hardly likely .

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 06/08/2019 10:55:01    2221489

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "That is a terrible scenario for one of the county players I greatly admire for his skill and athleticism on the field of play. Teams should now make a stance witth the county board and refuse to take to the field unless an authorised medical unit is present. It is all about responsibility and a duty of care. That situation displays pure negligence. It harks back to the dark day that some posters may remember when young Hennessey from Blessington got a serious leg injury and eventually had to be removed from the pitch using a door that had to be removed from its hinges. Disgraceful but it just shows that we havent moved out of the dark ages. I would have to say not only is it a shambles but pure incompetence and a total disrespect for the welfare of players and patrons. Clubs now have the opportunity to change things or are they about to sit on their hands again and do nothing. No wonder players and supporters are walking away from Wicklow gaa.
I send the injured player my best wishes for a full recovery. I hope you and your club receive at the very least a written apology from the county board but that is hardly likely ."
I wasn't in Aughrim on Sunday and haven't heard of the incident but my sympathy and good wishes to that player and his family and teammates. As one who played a bit, my children and even grandchildren played,? I can appreciate the dread and fear that any family member would experience in this type of situation. But as regards expecting club delegates to push for change, I wouldn't hold my breath. My opinion on clubs and the quality of their delegates are no secret on this forum. In fairness, some delegates are progressive and advocate change but in the main delegates are present at meetings with the sole function of protecting their own clubs' interests. Everything else is not of their concern. Possibly the seriousness of this incident might prick a conscience or two. We will see.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 223 - 06/08/2019 14:08:28    2221602

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I wasn't in Aughrim on Sunday and haven't heard of the incident but my sympathy and good wishes to that player and his family and teammates. As one who played a bit, my children and even grandchildren played,? I can appreciate the dread and fear that any family member would experience in this type of situation. But as regards expecting club delegates to push for change, I wouldn't hold my breath. My opinion on clubs and the quality of their delegates are no secret on this forum. In fairness, some delegates are progressive and advocate change but in the main delegates are present at meetings with the sole function of protecting their own clubs' interests. Everything else is not of their concern. Possibly the seriousness of this incident might prick a conscience or two. We will see."
Glad to see that people are starting to see where the changes need to happen. The sooner the better. A really crucial period now in Wicklow Gaa. Best wishes to Ross who will be a huge loss to club and county.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 06/08/2019 22:53:51    2221972

Link

Some good games at the weekend. Pats and Rathnew obviously strong as always, but not a huge gap to the chasing pack AGB Tinahely Blessington all playing well. Gets interesting from now on.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 19/08/2019 09:41:45    2227370

Link

SFC: Pat's
IFC: Dunlavin
Junior A: Shilelagh/Coolboy
Junior B: Knockananna
Junior C: Éire Óg

Dreamer (Wicklow) - Posts: 28 - 19/08/2019 11:51:45    2227421

Link

Pats will walk this. I haven't seen anything to touch them.
Tinahely were my outsiders but they lost to an AGB team who have struggled to put away Hollywood and Newtown.
Blesso and Avondale are good teams but they don't have the quality that Pats have.
Wouldn't surprise me if Casey O Brien gets the Wicklow job after the campaign.
Relegation will be interesting viewing, some big teams fighting for survival.

liamy. (Wicklow) - Posts: 140 - 27/08/2019 20:29:22    2229925

Link

agree
st pats are way out in front of all others.

4 semi finalists for me will be.
1/ St Pats
2/ Rathnew
3/ Tinahely
4/ AGB

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 110 - 02/09/2019 16:13:30    2231949

Link

Serious win for the dales. Tinahely had no answer to Blessington in the other quarter final. We are left with 4 good young footballing teams. Blesso Pats final maybe?

Kilcoole and Kilmac to make the inter final. The ridiculous 5/6 week gap between the final group games and the semi for the group winners has to be a serious disadvantage for the likes of Dunlavin.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 16/09/2019 09:29:33    2235939

Link

Thoughts on yesterdays results?
Some major upsets from some people's predictions. Surprised?

Wicklow1975 (Wicklow) - Posts: 5 - 16/09/2019 09:57:16    2235949

Link

Some great games yesterday , Blessington were far superior to Tinahely match every way they controlled the game and blew them away with one of the best displays of the year.
You'd have to give them massive shout of going one better than 2017.

The second game I thought no team wanted to win. Avondale now have put themselves in a position to take pats out!

liamy. (Wicklow) - Posts: 140 - 16/09/2019 10:44:28    2235976

Link

Replying To Wicklow1975:  "Thoughts on yesterdays results?
Some major upsets from some people's predictions. Surprised?"
The way the matches played out over the campaign there are no real shocks. Dales laid down a marker first time out by beating Balto - though Balto didn't exactly frank that form in later matches, in fairness. Pats have looked the real deal all along. The Villagers have just about got through every game and maybe time has finally caught up with them. AGB have looked good and then seem to drop a little before popping back up again. Blesso - well like I said at the start, are Blesso. If they could get it all together on any given day, they could be unstoppable. Yes, for me, Pats and Blessington for the final with Pats to prevail. Biggest mystery of 2019 campaign - where did Baltinglass go ?? No way are they as bad as their games suggest.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 223 - 16/09/2019 11:02:51    2235989

Link

Any predictions for the upcoming Senior Semi finals? Players to watch etc.

Wicklow1975 (Wicklow) - Posts: 5 - 20/09/2019 11:56:28    2237804

Link

Pats by 9/10 points
Blesso by 4/5 points

Tommy Kelly And Patrick O Connor are the stand outs.
Darragh Fitzgerald will try hard for AGB also Conor Byrne is a real talent with Avondale but I'm sure these 2 will be closely followed.

liamy. (Wicklow) - Posts: 140 - 21/09/2019 10:26:17    2238004

Link

Replying To Wicklow1975:  "Any predictions for the upcoming Senior Semi finals? Players to watch etc."
I am of the belief that whatever happens this weekend the two best teams will reach the final.

Pats vs Avondale

Pats, to their credit, have strolled to this stage without being challenged. Such strength in depth and a Jim McGuiness/Donegal-esque game plan will see them hard beat no matter who they meet after they dispose of Avondale. Will the month off since the group stage help or hinder them? Tommy Kelly been their shining star.

Avondale have been a breath of fresh air in this years championship beating the likes of Baltinglass and Rathnew. Great going forward, not so great defensively. They respected Pats too much in the group game, would love to see them come out on Saturday and hop off Pats and see what happens. I think they really need to go at them and put St. Patricks on the back foot. Standing off Pats won't end nicely for them. Conor Byrne been the leader for these plucky players so far.

Has potential to be a fantastic match but I see Pats being too strong.

AGB vs Blesso

AGB have gone about their business quite professionally so far this year - slightly under the radar. Would have been disappointed with the Rathnew result considering they had an extra man for over one half of football. Got past Newtown and Hollywood without playing fantastically well but never looked under pressure. Kept their best performance for the Tinahely game which they had won at half time. I think this game will be a big step up for them but there is nothing to suggest they won't be up for the challenge. Andy Maher and JP Hurley have been the shining lights for them so far.

Blesso will be happy with their progress so far this year. Mick Murray seems to be working his magic once again. They were very disappointing with their performance against Pats in the group where Pats bullied them into submission. Every other game in the championship was relatively straight forward for them and looks like they are peaking at the right time after that win against Tinahely in the quarters. Patrick O'Connor has been their star so far.

Should be a great game between two footballing sides. I'm going with Blesso to sneak it this Sunday.

wondershorts (Wicklow) - Posts: 285 - 24/09/2019 15:19:15    2238801

Link

Replying To wondershorts:  "I am of the belief that whatever happens this weekend the two best teams will reach the final.

Pats vs Avondale

Pats, to their credit, have strolled to this stage without being challenged. Such strength in depth and a Jim McGuiness/Donegal-esque game plan will see them hard beat no matter who they meet after they dispose of Avondale. Will the month off since the group stage help or hinder them? Tommy Kelly been their shining star.

Avondale have been a breath of fresh air in this years championship beating the likes of Baltinglass and Rathnew. Great going forward, not so great defensively. They respected Pats too much in the group game, would love to see them come out on Saturday and hop off Pats and see what happens. I think they really need to go at them and put St. Patricks on the back foot. Standing off Pats won't end nicely for them. Conor Byrne been the leader for these plucky players so far.

Has potential to be a fantastic match but I see Pats being too strong.

AGB vs Blesso

AGB have gone about their business quite professionally so far this year - slightly under the radar. Would have been disappointed with the Rathnew result considering they had an extra man for over one half of football. Got past Newtown and Hollywood without playing fantastically well but never looked under pressure. Kept their best performance for the Tinahely game which they had won at half time. I think this game will be a big step up for them but there is nothing to suggest they won't be up for the challenge. Andy Maher and JP Hurley have been the shining lights for them so far.

Blesso will be happy with their progress so far this year. Mick Murray seems to be working his magic once again. They were very disappointing with their performance against Pats in the group where Pats bullied them into submission. Every other game in the championship was relatively straight forward for them and looks like they are peaking at the right time after that win against Tinahely in the quarters. Patrick O'Connor has been their star so far.

Should be a great game between two footballing sides. I'm going with Blesso to sneak it this Sunday."
Well, today's match the best of the semis, in my opinion. and more to come, next Saturday I presume. Who will learn most from today ?? I hope I'm not putting the kiss of death on them but I fancy AGB to nick it next time. I still think that Miley will be heading back to the county town. Pats have been doing the business convincingly since the championship started and I can't see them stopping now. Still, a great replay and final to look forward to.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 223 - 29/09/2019 20:44:14    2240109

Link

The majority of the reactions to the penalties and decision to replay the game today appear to be that the correct decision was made. I'd like to ask the question how the rule was unanimously voted for at meeting at the start of the year? Are our club delegates taking these decisions into their own hands or consulting with club committees and/or members?

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 200 - 29/09/2019 21:49:48    2240145

Link

It is worth pointing out that the situation in Wicklow was NOT the exact same as what we saw take place in Antrim last week. The match is Antrim was a replay. Also, 2 rounds of the penalties/free kicks took place before the chairman stepped in. It was also 10.30pm. I sincerely hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt Wicklow GAA.

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 200 - 30/09/2019 14:03:20    2240311

Link