Wicklow Forum

Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First)

Another chance to avenge our league defeat to passionate Leitrim.
Just looking at the 16 teams in round one and the line up of matches certainly gives more food for thought for some type of second tier championship. All the teams look fairly evenly matched and there will be no 20 +points beating for anyone as we ourselves, Louth and others have suffered at the hands of the likes of Dublin. Maybe these early qualifier matches should be played at neutral venues before provincial semi finals where possible or as two qualifier double headers . We certainly cannot continue to see teams getting hammered and humiliated. It does nothing for the winners and destroys any aspirations or morale the weaker counties have. There will be fewer spectators in attendance and fewer players willing to give up there valuable time (already happening) if this slaughter continues. The days of dreaming about winning a provincial title never mind an all Ireland are well and truly buried as the gulf widens between the stronger and weaker counties.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 29 - 27/05/2019 11:00:13    2188031

Link

Agree and disagree to some extent. Dublin are miles ahead of everyone in Leinster . That's a given. Longford and Kildare drew yesterday with nothing separating the sides. Longford are division 3. If you withdrew Dublin from Leinster it would be a wide open contest. Go into Ulster and its a different scenario. Monaghan expected to coast into the Super 8s and yet receive a lesson in football from Cavan. Monaghan were very flat. Go into Connacht and everyone's second favourite team Mayo fell short to Roscommon. I don't think Mayo are dead certs any more to make the Super 8s. The point I am making is that with the exception of Dublin and maybe Kerry there is no level of consistency with teams anymore. In relation to our own county I accept things are bleak in relation to our own set up. If we do go down the two tier route , maybe things will pan out as regards competitiveness, but by so doing the level of attendances will reduce, the level of aspirations to play senior football with your county by young players will also reduce. I do acknowledge something needs to be done.
Best of luck to our minors next Saturday and lets hope for some positive and exciting football. Beating the Dubs in Aughrim will surely give us all a lift.
I wouldn't rule out us beating Leitrim up in Carrick either in the qualifiers.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 90 - 27/05/2019 16:29:21    2188215

Link

Replying To 61123:  "Agree and disagree to some extent. Dublin are miles ahead of everyone in Leinster . That's a given. Longford and Kildare drew yesterday with nothing separating the sides. Longford are division 3. If you withdrew Dublin from Leinster it would be a wide open contest. Go into Ulster and its a different scenario. Monaghan expected to coast into the Super 8s and yet receive a lesson in football from Cavan. Monaghan were very flat. Go into Connacht and everyone's second favourite team Mayo fell short to Roscommon. I don't think Mayo are dead certs any more to make the Super 8s. The point I am making is that with the exception of Dublin and maybe Kerry there is no level of consistency with teams anymore. In relation to our own county I accept things are bleak in relation to our own set up. If we do go down the two tier route , maybe things will pan out as regards competitiveness, but by so doing the level of attendances will reduce, the level of aspirations to play senior football with your county by young players will also reduce. I do acknowledge something needs to be done.
Best of luck to our minors next Saturday and lets hope for some positive and exciting football. Beating the Dubs in Aughrim will surely give us all a lift.
I wouldn't rule out us beating Leitrim up in Carrick either in the qualifiers."
2nd Tier hah
Where did that get our hurlers. Lower tiers in hurling just an inconvienience played off as quick as possible with as little recognition as possible.
Do people even know that Wicklow have played 2 rounds of Christy Ring already?

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 29/05/2019 19:48:40    2188952

Link

Whats our chances in Leitrim. Gave them a right scare in Aughrim where we should have/could have won.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 04/06/2019 23:21:04    2190713

Link

I really fancy our chances against them. I have watched the lads training a few nights and we are looking fit and strong. If we get the team selection right we will be there or thereabouts.

micksmouth (Wicklow) - Posts: 6 - 05/06/2019 12:55:43    2190837

Link

Another year of ifs and buts. A lot of soul searching to be done for next year

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2751 - 08/06/2019 20:53:07    2191871

Link

Another year over. Thanks to all the lads for their efforts.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 08/06/2019 20:58:29    2191874

Link

Our ability to score from play is so poor we didnt have a chance

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 09/06/2019 10:33:31    2192067

Link

Our ability to score from play is so poor we didnt have a chance

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 09/06/2019 10:34:25    2192068

Link

Three points from play says it all. The type of negative football the management have adopted is an utter shambles. Let the players at least express themselves and see where it takes us. Converted defenders and midfielders into forwards just doesnt work. I thought the John Evans factor might have brought a freshness and a new approach but I like many other supporters (the few that are left)are left disappointed, and frustrated. I dont blame the players. They have given the committment and have ran themselves ragged to a system that has no future. They too must be frustrated at the tactics employed. It must be one of the main questions addressed when a future manager is interviewed.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 29 - 09/06/2019 11:37:15    2192099

Link

I don't think blanket defence have any future in gaelic football but if anyone thinks that the problems with gaelic games in wicklow is down to the tactics of our current management, they are deluded. The players are to be commended for commitment with very little reward or recognition but unfortunately they are not up to intercounty standards. For your top scorer to be your goalkeeper, 7 scores out of 13 and to only score 3 points from play says it all. There is a lot of ground to be made up and some good work seems to be happening at underage which has to continue right through to senior for us to have a chance at senior level in the future.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1010 - 09/06/2019 12:47:28    2192124

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I don't think blanket defence have any future in gaelic football but if anyone thinks that the problems with gaelic games in wicklow is down to the tactics of our current management, they are deluded. The players are to be commended for commitment with very little reward or recognition but unfortunately they are not up to intercounty standards. For your top scorer to be your goalkeeper, 7 scores out of 13 and to only score 3 points from play says it all. There is a lot of ground to be made up and some good work seems to be happening at underage which has to continue right through to senior for us to have a chance at senior level in the future."
10 our of 10 for your observations Wicklowsupport. We have a few very good scoring prospects at u17 level. But they must be coached into being able to shake off tight markers and keep their heads up when things are not going their way as was evident in some recent games. Blanket defence or not we are Div 4 standard at present like it or not. That was proven again yesterday. We felt we should have beaten Leitrim in Aughrim yet they scraped over us again. No new manager will get any more from our present panel untill we unearth a few prolific scorers from somewhere. Can any club manager in the county put their hand up and say that they have a player who can score goals or points day in day out no matter what the opposition ?? I don't think so but hope I can be proved wrong. Can those who will call for the managers/ managements heads name say 6 players who are not on the panel but would genuinely improve things - and then give an honest coherent reason as to why they are not on the panel. Kelly from Eire Og who has committed to hurling excepted.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 117 - 09/06/2019 14:17:56    2192153

Link