Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just under a month to go till our match against the Rossies in the Hyde.

Disappointing to hear that Darragh Rooney has decided to leave the panel even more worrying is the reports that one or 2 others may follow suit.

I really think we can put up a good show against the Rossies. We haven't been competitive against them in years but I'd be disappointed if we didn't give them a scare or atleast keep in within 5 points this year.

After reflecting on the League Final I have no doubts that Terry will make changes to the team.

Going to run through what I think might happen.

McCrann will stay in nets. As harsh as it was on McKiernan the decision was vindicated and no reason to change it now.

The Roscommon Full Forward line will consist of Diarmuid Murtagh, Conor Cox and either Lennon or Cathal Cregg.

Paddy will have to mark Murtagh he is their real star, if he returns to top form after injury and can't be given a free roam.
Conor Cox as been some find for them, he is a bull and can kick off both feet. In my eyes, now that he will have had an extra 6 weeks training since the Final Fergal McTague is the only defender we have that is physical enough to take on Cox and has to start. Finally, Michael McWeeney to pick up Lennon or Cregg.

In the half back line I'd make one change. Aidan Flynn to wing-back but to tag Enda Smith no matter where he roams to. Flynn has been brilliant this year and is definitely one of our fittest and physically strong players - I cant see anyone else that could nulify Smith. Therefore Shane Quinn will move to Center back and Ray Mulvey hopefully continues his brilliant year at wing back.

In Midfield I'd go with Shane Moran and Pearce Dolan. Moran is a no brainer even with the baffling decision to take him off against Derry. And Pearce Dolan need faith put in him we've all seen his ability but messing him around at no.14 can't be helping his confidence. He will also suit Tadgh O'Rourke who is a rangy lanky midfielder who has started all of the Rossies games.

The half Forward line is where I'd make big changes. We were far to immobile and slow here against Derry and the lack of a link man all year has been killing us leaving our full forward line to isolated.
I'd go with Cillian McGloin, Mark Plunkett and Jack Heslin here. McGloin and Heslin pace can cause any team trouble and Plunkett is probably best at 11 where he can roam and really get involved in the play while also switching with Moran now and again to give him a breather. Plunkett and McGloin are also big men and can be targets for our kickouts.

Losing Darragh Rooney is a massive blow to our full forward line. but we still have more scoring forwards then we have ever had. Ryan O'Rourke is obviously a guaranteed starter but with the way Anthony Cunningham has been setting them up I expect their sweeper to be covering him at all times. So others will have to step up. At the beginning of the year if you had of told me that Evan Sweeney would have been starting with the forwards we have available I would have scoffed but he has proved me completely wrong and for a small man wins his fair share of 50/50 ball so I'd start him again. Than finally I'd bring Gary Plunkett in. Still can't get my head around how he seen no game time in headquarters but he has pace, strength and can kick off both feet and crucially has done it in high pressured games for the Willies so I think he is the perfect foil for O'Rourke to free up space for him.

There is a few issues to sort out. Free taking being the main one. I'd let Mark Plunkett or McCrann take the ones from 40 yards out and then let any of the three in the full forward line take the close in ones. It's an area we can't afford to slip up in. The full back line was taken to the cleaners against Derry so needs to tighten up but I expect the Rossies to play a sweeper so that should free Shane Quinn up to do the same.

There has been some talk that Donal Wrynn has been asked in again which would be huge in my eyes but It's said he is still under work pressure.

McCrann
Maguire McTague McWeeney
Flynn Quinn Mulvey
Moran
Dolan
McGloin Plunkett Heslin
O'Rourke Plunkett Sweeney

Subs:
McKiernan
Madden
C.Reynolds
McWeeney
N.Plunkett
McGovern
Flynn
Mulligan
Moran
Cullen
Brady

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 16/04/2019 13:08:02    2179118

Link

Why has Darragh Rooney left the panel? This happens every year with someone or other. I know he was used sparingly during the league but would have been a huge player for us in the championship on the hard pitches it's massively disappointing to hear this.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 356 - 16/04/2019 14:29:15    2179132

Link

I don't agree with Aidan Flynn tracking Enda Smith I think if we do that we will be taken to the cleaners. I'd get cillian mc gloin to track him as he is fit and strong I'd bring mulligan in no. 11 as link man I'd drop Aidan flynn and possibly swap Dean mc govern for Pearce Dolan as Dolan is just not playing well. But I agree with your other selections. I think the gap in the two teams is still huge and if we keep it less than 10 points it will be a success but you never know if we get a few goals then anything can happen.
Disappointing to hear Darragh Rooney has left the squad but he wasn't getting enough game time and I'm sure it's frustrating to be a forward on the bench seeing mid fielders and wing backs starting in the forward line. Hopefully we don't loose many more.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 16/04/2019 23:15:45    2179212

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "Just under a month to go till our match against the Rossies in the Hyde.

Disappointing to hear that Darragh Rooney has decided to leave the panel even more worrying is the reports that one or 2 others may follow suit.

I really think we can put up a good show against the Rossies. We haven't been competitive against them in years but I'd be disappointed if we didn't give them a scare or atleast keep in within 5 points this year.

After reflecting on the League Final I have no doubts that Terry will make changes to the team.

Going to run through what I think might happen.

McCrann will stay in nets. As harsh as it was on McKiernan the decision was vindicated and no reason to change it now.

The Roscommon Full Forward line will consist of Diarmuid Murtagh, Conor Cox and either Lennon or Cathal Cregg.

Paddy will have to mark Murtagh he is their real star, if he returns to top form after injury and can't be given a free roam.
Conor Cox as been some find for them, he is a bull and can kick off both feet. In my eyes, now that he will have had an extra 6 weeks training since the Final Fergal McTague is the only defender we have that is physical enough to take on Cox and has to start. Finally, Michael McWeeney to pick up Lennon or Cregg.

In the half back line I'd make one change. Aidan Flynn to wing-back but to tag Enda Smith no matter where he roams to. Flynn has been brilliant this year and is definitely one of our fittest and physically strong players - I cant see anyone else that could nulify Smith. Therefore Shane Quinn will move to Center back and Ray Mulvey hopefully continues his brilliant year at wing back.

In Midfield I'd go with Shane Moran and Pearce Dolan. Moran is a no brainer even with the baffling decision to take him off against Derry. And Pearce Dolan need faith put in him we've all seen his ability but messing him around at no.14 can't be helping his confidence. He will also suit Tadgh O'Rourke who is a rangy lanky midfielder who has started all of the Rossies games.

The half Forward line is where I'd make big changes. We were far to immobile and slow here against Derry and the lack of a link man all year has been killing us leaving our full forward line to isolated.
I'd go with Cillian McGloin, Mark Plunkett and Jack Heslin here. McGloin and Heslin pace can cause any team trouble and Plunkett is probably best at 11 where he can roam and really get involved in the play while also switching with Moran now and again to give him a breather. Plunkett and McGloin are also big men and can be targets for our kickouts.

Losing Darragh Rooney is a massive blow to our full forward line. but we still have more scoring forwards then we have ever had. Ryan O'Rourke is obviously a guaranteed starter but with the way Anthony Cunningham has been setting them up I expect their sweeper to be covering him at all times. So others will have to step up. At the beginning of the year if you had of told me that Evan Sweeney would have been starting with the forwards we have available I would have scoffed but he has proved me completely wrong and for a small man wins his fair share of 50/50 ball so I'd start him again. Than finally I'd bring Gary Plunkett in. Still can't get my head around how he seen no game time in headquarters but he has pace, strength and can kick off both feet and crucially has done it in high pressured games for the Willies so I think he is the perfect foil for O'Rourke to free up space for him.

There is a few issues to sort out. Free taking being the main one. I'd let Mark Plunkett or McCrann take the ones from 40 yards out and then let any of the three in the full forward line take the close in ones. It's an area we can't afford to slip up in. The full back line was taken to the cleaners against Derry so needs to tighten up but I expect the Rossies to play a sweeper so that should free Shane Quinn up to do the same.

There has been some talk that Donal Wrynn has been asked in again which would be huge in my eyes but It's said he is still under work pressure.

McCrann
Maguire McTague McWeeney
Flynn Quinn Mulvey
Moran
Dolan
McGloin Plunkett Heslin
O'Rourke Plunkett Sweeney

Subs:
McKiernan
Madden
C.Reynolds
McWeeney
N.Plunkett
McGovern
Flynn
Mulligan
Moran
Cullen
Brady"
Great analysis their. I agree with the team also and the rational behind it. The only change I would make and it's a maybe not definite is Conor renoylds instead of flynn he's also super fit and strong tackler. Played well when he came on against Derry. Fully agree We need to go with pace and match roscommon all over the place. I think we can beat them in the middle of the pitch which might will spring a platform to give them a good game of it. Anything under 6 would be a huge improvement for this team.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 17/04/2019 00:16:35    2179214

Link

Good to see Leitrim players outside of Emlyn Mulligan doing interviews and Michael McWeeney generally comes across very well. But thought he was completely off the mark with his comments today. All players should get the same treatment inter-county or club. Wouldn't say the Refs in the county will be to happy with him.

Anyway back to the big game.

Played Tipp on Easter Monday in a challenge and from relations in that county they were very surprised with the standard Leitrim brought to the game. Tipp won by 3 or 4 in the end but that has to be seen as a real positive for us.

Ryan O'Rourke, Cathal McCrann, Michael McWeeney were all injured.

Darragh Rooney and Conor Cullen are gone off the panel and Sean Flanagan has been ruled out of Leitrim action for the year.

Few big weeks of training now leading into the Hyde.

Think Roscommon are weak at midfield and in the full back line and their keeper isn't great either.
Their full forward line has the ability to rip apart a hell of a lot better teams than ours so that's a worry.

Anything under 7 would be an improvement. We still have a young team and we are going from playing Div 4 teams to playing a team who were playing Div 1 teams to give some perspective.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 25/04/2019 11:42:51    2180190

Link

Just over two weeks to go to the roscommon game? Anyone know how preparation is going have we a full panel to choose from except for Darragh Rooney?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 356 - 27/04/2019 10:52:56    2180521

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Just over two weeks to go to the roscommon game? Anyone know how preparation is going have we a full panel to choose from except for Darragh Rooney?"
By all accounts the team are roaring in training and after poor team selection in the div 4 final, coach Hyland has been tweaking his methodology to give Roscommon a fright at least.

Roscommon had another yo yo season in the league and that can be demoralising so on the day you'd never know what might happen. Just important to have our best team out there

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 29/04/2019 20:36:49    2180917

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "By all accounts the team are roaring in training and after poor team selection in the div 4 final, coach Hyland has been tweaking his methodology to give Roscommon a fright at least.

Roscommon had another yo yo season in the league and that can be demoralising so on the day you'd never know what might happen. Just important to have our best team out there"
i would prefer to be getting relegated from division one and after playing top end teams up top rather than playing down in division four would you. I think ye won't be roaring in the game anyway for me- it'll be at least an 8 to 10 point victory fay to say

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 29/04/2019 21:15:46    2180922

Link

Replying To tashy:  "i would prefer to be getting relegated from division one and after playing top end teams up top rather than playing down in division four would you. I think ye won't be roaring in the game anyway for me- it'll be at least an 8 to 10 point victory fay to say"
You might be correct that it will be an 8-10 point defeat for Leitrim but that would still be progress for us isn't it.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 30/04/2019 08:28:57    2180958

Link

I hope that Leitrim will put it up to Roscommon however lets not get ahead of ourselves. Another year of tough football in Division 3 is needed to see where we really are at.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 30/04/2019 08:34:00    2180959

Link

Roaring in training lol.
Thats a new 1.
Our training is going quietly with all the lads whispering through there drills.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1314 - 30/04/2019 08:42:00    2180961

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "I hope that Leitrim will put it up to Roscommon however lets not get ahead of ourselves. Another year of tough football in Division 3 is needed to see where we really are at."
It is the very least we would hope. There have been capitulations against them the past couple of years. The players brought in under the Guckian regime have been proving his faith in them this year however so an improvement in the scoreline should be attainable.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 30/04/2019 09:35:02    2180969

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "You might be correct that it will be an 8-10 point defeat for Leitrim but that would still be progress for us isn't it."
Some would claim that it could be a very very good game, in fact a wwonderful game of football. It could be a very famous victory for Roscommon and indeed it poses the question as to when and how the future of Terry Hyland would be affected by the particular result

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 30/04/2019 09:37:09    2180970

Link

Replying To tashy:  "Some would claim that it could be a very very good game, in fact a wwonderful game of football. It could be a very famous victory for Roscommon and indeed it poses the question as to when and how the future of Terry Hyland would be affected by the particular result"
I think Terry's future is secure for as long as he wants it to be, this year has already been an unqualified success, apart from the blip of the league final.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 30/04/2019 10:04:56    2180980

Link

I'd say Enda smith will be midfield for this one ..

nando (None) - Posts: 33 - 30/04/2019 11:45:09    2181006

Link

Replying To tashy:  "i would prefer to be getting relegated from division one and after playing top end teams up top rather than playing down in division four would you. I think ye won't be roaring in the game anyway for me- it'll be at least an 8 to 10 point victory fay to say"
Be careful what you wish for. Roscommon escaped from New York with a last gasp point victory the same year they 'roared' through Div 2 to gain promotion. They have also taken some heavy defeats this year while Leitrim have taken massive belief and confidence from this season. Roscommon to win but....?
The loss of Daragh Rooney & Conor Cullen for the Championship is a big blow but thankfully both lads who are in the US for the Summer will be available for selection in Div 3 next season.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 04/05/2019 16:02:43    2181833

Link

How did leitrim set up in the league ?
Heard they were defensive.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 58 - 05/05/2019 21:51:11    2182036

Link

The way London performed today against galway would have to give us belief that we can test roscommon. Neither darragh or Conor are major losses to the leitrim team. Cullen didn't really feature all year and rooney was poor in the games he played. However it will be good to see them back as they are both young and will have many years in the green and gold. Looking past Sunday and if we have a chance of staying in div 3 next year then we need to keep this panel together and add in a couple more Donal Rynn, keith Bernie and maybe even Paul brennan to add more strength and dept.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 06/05/2019 00:43:20    2182062

Link

Replying To Theeagleeye:  "How did leitrim set up in the league ?
Heard they were defensive."
Not overly. Dropped a man back alright but most teams do that nowadays. Won't be a Carlow attitude or even the attitude we used in Carrick in the championship last year I wouldn't have thought. We scored plenty in the league.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 06/05/2019 13:01:09    2182103

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "Not overly. Dropped a man back alright but most teams do that nowadays. Won't be a Carlow attitude or even the attitude we used in Carrick in the championship last year I wouldn't have thought. We scored plenty in the league."
The stand out feature in Leitrim's first 5 league game this year was consistent low scores conceded. 0-11 v Wexford,1-12 v Wicklow,1-10 v Antrim,0-11 v Limerick and 0-7 v London

And i should add a few games in the league that Leitrim didn't score plenty. 1-9 v London,0-12 v Limerick and 0-14 v Antrim which i think highlights a big focus on put on defending and giving Leitrim the best opportunity of winning all those games and gaining promotion with a few games to spare.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2405 - 07/05/2019 01:28:30    2182216

Link