Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Blackbog:  "Very very harsh.
Basically management team gone for championship."
I think the vagueness of the rules was their undoing. The charge of minor physical interference was unproven in all three cases I presume by video evidence. However they were charged with threatening conduct which would be very hard to appeal against with video evidence.

The minimum ban for such offence is 12 weeks. Big blow considering the lads by the letter of the law are not allowed to even attend training.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1812 - 09/04/2019 18:39:46    2178269

Link

This Bermingham lad has some neck

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 09/04/2019 22:26:35    2178297

Link

Remember the name: James Birmingham....

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 242 - 09/04/2019 22:51:04    2178304

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen
This will galvanize them to perform.
Turlough made a mistake and I don't think he is the sort to walk away. However I do think it's time for Poacher to move on. He has done a brilliant job but he has the cut of a frustrated man this season.
Let's not forget it's the team that is our main strength. I can see meetings set up in the shadows and of course there is always Skype.
We are best with the odds against us.
Let's not get over despondent there are some real leaders in that squad.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 10/04/2019 06:56:54    2178311

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "
Replying To supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen
Turlough made a mistake and I don't think he is the sort to walk away. However I do think it's time for Poacher to move on. He has done a brilliant job but he has the cut of a frustrated man this season.
Let's not forget it's the team that is our main strength. I can see meetings set up in the shadows and of course there is always Skype.
Let's not get over despondent there are some real leaders in that squad."
I don't think Turlough made a mistake if he did so too did Poached and Murphy, instead I think they made a statement, personally I don't condone physical or verbal misconduct / aggression in sport or towards referees, in defence of the trio I would say it was as a result of, contraversory, disappointments, and the last game was the straw that broke the camel's back, call it a crime of passion.
If Poacher has the cut of a frustrated Man who would blame him, it wasn't the only game that bad decisions went against Carlow.
Of course it's the team that is our main strength, however they are only human and what respect or protection are they getting on the field.
Meetings set up in shadows, and of course there is always Skype, - honestly, I'm stuck for words.

PS, you see regularly player ratings out of 10 after most games, Q. why don't the referee assessors at games give a similar rating on the referee in question and a statement on their performance and take appropriate action accordingly.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 10/04/2019 18:40:25    2178386

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "
Replying To Blackbog:  "[quote=supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen
I don't think Turlough made a mistake if he did so too did Poached and Murphy, instead I think they made a statement, personally I don't condone physical or verbal misconduct / aggression in sport or towards referees, in defence of the trio I would say it was as a result of, contraversory, disappointments, and the last game was the straw that broke the camel's back, call it a crime of passion.
If Poacher has the cut of a frustrated Man who would blame him, it wasn't the only game that bad decisions went against Carlow.
Of course it's the team that is our main strength, however they are only human and what respect or protection are they getting on the field.
Meetings set up in shadows, and of course there is always Skype, - honestly, I'm stuck for words.

PS, you see regularly player ratings out of 10 after most games, Q. why don't the referee assessors at games give a similar rating on the referee in question and a statement on their performance and take appropriate action accordingly."]An interesting post!
It is interesting to read the responses to the suspensions. Being at the Down match where the suspensions arose from - I am not surprised that the suspensions are what they are. The video of the incident at the end of the game is worrying in that a lot of people were in the vicinity of the referee as he left the field and it could have gotten very ugly and the actual safety of the referee was nearly at stake.
All who were at the match have their own views but for me, it is no surprise that the powers that be handed out such strong penalties. Let's be honest - there was also a situation in the past few years where our manager also incurred the wrath of the 'committees' and he got a suspension for his behaviour
To me what now happens? I presume that the suspensions will be challenged. Will they be successful? I don't think so. From what I saw on the night it is unlikely in my opinion that there will be any reduction.
If there is not - what will our Board do?
Who will look after the training ? Will someone be drafted in?
Or will the manager and coach resign their positions?
This I feel must be addressed.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 10/04/2019 19:59:19    2178393

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "
Replying To supersub15:  "[quote=Blackbog:  "[quote=supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen

PS, you see regularly player ratings out of 10 after most games, Q. why don't the referee assessors at games give a similar rating on the referee in question and a statement on their performance and take appropriate action accordingly."]An interesting post!
It is interesting to read the responses to the suspensions. Being at the Down match where the suspensions arose from - I am not surprised that the suspensions are what they are. The video of the incident at the end of the game is worrying in that a lot of people were in the vicinity of the referee as he left the field and it could have gotten very ugly and the actual safety of the referee was nearly at stake.
All who were at the match have their own views but for me, it is no surprise that the powers that be handed out such strong penalties. Let's be honest - there was also a situation in the past few years where our manager also incurred the wrath of the 'committees' and he got a suspension for his behaviour
To me what now happens? I presume that the suspensions will be challenged. Will they be successful? I don't think so. From what I saw on the night it is unlikely in my opinion that there will be any reduction.
This I feel must be addressed."]Right now I'm fearful for Carlow football, 20 weeks brings us up to the All Ireland semi final, if that's the case then Turlough will definitely be gone, so too will Steven Poacher, with them will go Brendan Murphy, if Murphy goes so too will a couple of others.
What will our Board do, well they might make a few phone call's, send a few texts but they wont shout too loud about it.
Who will look after the training ? Will someone be drafted in? - This is leading all the way to the time Liam Hayes resigned, and John Kerins was appointed interim manager.

Or will the manager and coach resign their positions? Yes, imo they are as good as gone.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 10/04/2019 22:08:59    2178411

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "[quote=supersub15:  "[quote=Blackbog:  "[quote=supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen

This I feel must be addressed."]Right now I'm fearful for Carlow football, 20 weeks brings us up to the All Ireland semi final, if that's the case then Turlough will definitely be gone, so too will Steven Poacher, with them will go Brendan Murphy, if Murphy goes so too will a couple of others.
What will our Board do, well they might make a few phone call's, send a few texts but they wont shout too loud about it.
Who will look after the training ? Will someone be drafted in? - This is leading all the way to the time Liam Hayes resigned, and John Kerins was appointed interim manager.

Or will the manager and coach resign their positions? Yes, imo they are as good as gone."]Of course it was a mistake for the 3 to do what they did after Down game
They should have the sense to know that it was getting them no where apart form in trouble

It they wanted to complain there are channels to do so - this referee has previous .
Heat the moment and all that re making a statment is just excuses

Saying that I think the management / county board will do everything to minmise the results of the mistake

Brendan and Poacher to take their places after Meath game for Leinster semi or qualificers

Turlough to return when suspension finishes

Poacher to move on after championship

All players to make themselves available fro Div 4 next year

And finally we need to get over the mentality that we are being singled out for bad decisions - bad decisions are part and parcel of any game

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 11/04/2019 11:26:24    2178440

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "[quote=supersub15:  "[quote=Blackbog:  "[quote=supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen

Or will the manager and coach resign their positions? Yes, imo they are as good as gone."]God remember that ye. I think Andy Shortall was in between though, a very short I'll fated spell that was.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1060 - 11/04/2019 18:14:04    2178486

Link

Replying To fergie:  "
Replying To supersub15:  "[quote=carlowman:  "[quote=supersub15:  "[quote=Blackbog:  "[quote=supersub15:  "It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever."
That won't happen

Or will the manager and coach resign their positions? Yes, imo they are as good as gone."]God remember that ye. I think Andy Shortall was in between though, a very short I'll fated spell that was."]There is no chance TOB walking away in this manner. He has integrity and will stick with it.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 11/04/2019 19:06:06    2178493

Link

O'Brien's passion is Carlow football.
Genuine to the core in his love for all things Carlow. He will only walk when the time is right. He took that job for all the right reasons and has done an incredible job.
He will stay of course - even if hiding behind a tree for training!!!
The players will be galvanised and motivated by all that has happened in the league.
Bans will be reduced on next appeal and I would expect all to be available for Leinster Semi or qualifiers. Onward and upwards....

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 242 - 11/04/2019 21:57:53    2178506

Link

Not surprised at the suspensions, it's hard to argue with them either, it was a crazy few minutes though and the feeling going around was we were been done, I still think the final two down frees were extremely dubious in particular the one under the stand, and when passions are up people act out of character, it's easy for us to say they should have stayed out of it but when you have out years of work into something and you see it unravel Infront of you that's when it can boil over. has there been any word on what action is to be taken on the supporter (using that term loosely) who ran into the pitch?

I'd like to see the management team give it another go, I've been going to Carlow games all my life these last couple of years have been great, competing with teams wherever we went and been able to walk out of grounds with our heads held high, it's only a few years ago we were questioning lf we should even field a senior team anymore, hidings from Meath Clare and Louth stick out in my mind.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1252 - 11/04/2019 23:16:34    2178519

Link

Replying To novalis:  "O'Brien's passion is Carlow football.
Genuine to the core in his love for all things Carlow. He will only walk when the time is right. He took that job for all the right reasons and has done an incredible job.
The players will be galvanised and motivated by all that has happened in the league.
Bans will be reduced on next appeal and I would expect all to be available for Leinster Semi or qualifiers. Onward and upwards...."
Well said Novalis

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 12/04/2019 07:26:22    2178527

Link

Bans will be reduced on next appeal and I would expect all to be available for Leinster Semi or qualifiers. Onward and upwards...."
Amen.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 12/04/2019 09:12:50    2178533

Link

Based on what I saw happening on the pitch, and a previous incident plus what allegedly happened off the pitch after the match I have serious doubts that the suspensions will be reduced. The referee while not performing to what supporters were hoping for on the night did suffer an enraged number of Carlow personnel including many very close to the team both on the pitch and later too. The GAA will undoubtedly protect the referee in such circumstances and they maintain a strong record in such circumstances.
I also don't think that the players will be galvanised by these incidents. The players saw and heard what happened. I don't think that teams in this day and age are going to play any better after such incidents.
They are expected to have discipline. They must play in a disciplined way. Panels are expected to be disciplined in their preparation in so many ways. Those who do not reach those standards are usually spoken to, first then warned if it continues and if they cannot match up to those standards they are asked to leave.
I went to 4 games and it is not for the want of trying hard that we did not stay up. The problem now is that poor discipline has cost us from a player and management availability as we prepare for championship. That needs to be addressed and Skype and being behind a tree is just not going to cut the mustard. Championship is what its about. The County Board need to step up and put in place people to do the job while others are out of bounds.
Nobody doubts our managers passion but a sub is now needed.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 12/04/2019 17:55:39    2178608

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Based on what I saw happening on the pitch, and a previous incident plus what allegedly happened off the pitch after the match I have serious doubts that the suspensions will be reduced. The referee while not performing to what supporters were hoping for on the night did suffer an enraged number of Carlow personnel including many very close to the team both on the pitch and later too. The GAA will undoubtedly protect the referee in such circumstances and they maintain a strong record in such circumstances.
I also don't think that the players will be galvanised by these incidents. The players saw and heard what happened. I don't think that teams in this day and age are going to play any better after such incidents.
They are expected to have discipline. They must play in a disciplined way. Panels are expected to be disciplined in their preparation in so many ways. Those who do not reach those standards are usually spoken to, first then warned if it continues and if they cannot match up to those standards they are asked to leave.
I went to 4 games and it is not for the want of trying hard that we did not stay up. The problem now is that poor discipline has cost us from a player and management availability as we prepare for championship. That needs to be addressed and Skype and being behind a tree is just not going to cut the mustard. Championship is what its about. The County Board need to step up and put in place people to do the job while others are out of bounds.
Nobody doubts our managers passion but a sub is now needed."
carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1437 - 12/04/2019 17:55:39 - Your post carlowman is quiet impressive.
I just want to start by repeating this from a previous post of mine, "Turlough made a mistake if he did, so too did Poached and Murphy, instead I think they made a statement, personally I don't condone physical or verbal misconduct / aggression in sport or towards referees, in defence of the trio I would say it was as a result of, contraversory, disappointments, and the last game was the straw that broke the camel's back, call it a crime of passion"

Let it be said, 33 years is a long time in div 4 but one blow of a whistle sends us back down to the same div.4.21qQuestion78608

Question. Why did the referee not blow full time when Sean Gannon was on the ground from a foul imo, from that point a draw would have been a fair and sporting result as time was up, Down wouldn't have won and Carlow wouldn't have lost but they would have stayed in div.3, that's what has sickened most fair minded people.
It's said, players are expected to have discipline, and must play in a disciplined way, Panels are expected to be disciplined in their preparation in so many ways. That's fair enough and understandable, but player's management and supporters must be seen to get something in return, as in fair play.
It's suggested that the suspensions handed down to the Carlow management and Brendan murphy is the most severe ever handed down.

My crystal ball does not tell me that the suspensions will be reduced, quiet the opposite in fact, it will be All Ireland s/f time before the suspension have run their course, that's why I personally think TO'B and SP will resign, all in the interest of Carlow football'
Problem, Possible cause, and Corrective action must be addressed or similar incidences may be repeated.
If all things in life could be that simple.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 12/04/2019 21:45:42    2178626

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1437 - 12/04/2019 17:55:39 - Your post carlowman is quiet impressive.
I just want to start by repeating this from a previous post of mine, "Turlough made a mistake if he did, so too did Poached and Murphy, instead I think they made a statement, personally I don't condone physical or verbal misconduct / aggression in sport or towards referees, in defence of the trio I would say it was as a result of, contraversory, disappointments, and the last game was the straw that broke the camel's back, call it a crime of passion"

Let it be said, 33 years is a long time in div 4 but one blow of a whistle sends us back down to the same div.4.21qQuestion78608

Question. Why did the referee not blow full time when Sean Gannon was on the ground from a foul imo, from that point a draw would have been a fair and sporting result as time was up, Down wouldn't have won and Carlow wouldn't have lost but they would have stayed in div.3, that's what has sickened most fair minded people.
It's said, players are expected to have discipline, and must play in a disciplined way, Panels are expected to be disciplined in their preparation in so many ways. That's fair enough and understandable, but player's management and supporters must be seen to get something in return, as in fair play.
It's suggested that the suspensions handed down to the Carlow management and Brendan murphy is the most severe ever handed down.

My crystal ball does not tell me that the suspensions will be reduced, quiet the opposite in fact, it will be All Ireland s/f time before the suspension have run their course, that's why I personally think TO'B and SP will resign, all in the interest of Carlow football'
Problem, Possible cause, and Corrective action must be addressed or similar incidences may be repeated.
If all things in life could be that simple.
"
Many like you have asked why the referee in the Down game did not blow the whistle after we got the levelling point after Sean Gannon was fouled.
I thought about that too ! Would have suited Down and us if he had ! But on reflection, I think he thought that more time was there to be played. The second thing that crossed my mind was, he is from Cork and would he have known that a draw would have suited both of us ? Probably not. And lastly I thought - referees have a job and it is to referee the game as they see it and that is not the same as we, the supporters see it.
Will the same referee be in the middle for future Carlow matches ? I doubt it !

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 13/04/2019 20:57:15    2178707

Link

I see that all three are appealing the bans

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 45 - 15/04/2019 12:56:27    2178929

Link

How do people feel we will do against Offaly or Meath. If it goes to form and Meath beat Offaly , I can see us putting it up to them in Tullamore.
A lot depends on what impact league has had on the team moral etc.
I would be optimistic of good run of 3/4 games in Championship and a returned to Div 3 for 2021

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 17/04/2019 13:17:38    2179281

Link

Lost by a point to Cork last night in a challenge game I heard. Anyone at it or know what the team was? Good that we are playing the likes of Cork instead of the days of Kildare juniors etc!

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 30/04/2019 13:12:34    2181025

Link